Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #91  
I recall plenty of times as a kid getting stuck in the snow, leaving the car in gear, and getting out to see which tire is spinning. I also recall getting out with it in gear and pushing it out of the snow and jumping back in and off you go. I don't recommend that to anyone. It's a good way to get run over. I don't think it would warrant losing a driver's license.

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #92  
This happened to my wife's friend today. She is elderly and lives alone in a rural spot. She got in the car to go to their little weekly rug hooking session at the town library. Her habit is to lock the doors. She started cranking the car over and it wouldn't start. She cranked until the battery was totally flat. The the doors would not unlock w/o battery power. Panic... Finally she thought to call the dealer to ask how to get out. You can't !!! The dealer came over and jumped the battery before she could get out. Can you believe it.

It is going to be below zero tonight. Wonder if she was in a no cell service zone of which there are many around here or she had no phone with her. No good.

gg
I suppose it could have been worse. The elderly ladies vehicle, as does one of mine, could have had an electrically actuated hood release so jumping wouldn't be possible. In that case, a window would have to be broken.

I've heard of situations where the reverse has happened when a driver couldn't unlock his vehicle from outside with the key fob due to a dead vehicle battery. On many vehicles, including mine, the emergency key in the key fob is just a switch which activates the electric lock. There is no mechanical connection so it's useless with a dead vehicle battery.

This guy had a clever solution:

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #93  
Anybody that would get out of a car while it is in gear does not deserve a license.
To those who pass judgements; If everyone who has done something remarkedly stupid concerning vehicles at least once in their life were somehow not allowed to have a license, there would be virtually no one left on the roads.

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #94  
It is a tractor forum. But this is a car thread.

View attachment 782149
my browser says :

Forums/General Tractor Topics Owning/Operating

where is the part about cars? Unless Land Rovers are now allowed here, they at least have a tractor history at first, hahahah

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #95  
This is a precursor to Deere locking you in your tractor and you need to schedule a service technician to come read the proprietary codes before he can let you out after they receive your payment.
That's why I don't want to have a John Deere tractor, they are notorious for this hahahahah

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #96  
my browser says :

Forums/General Tractor Topics Owning/Operating

where is the part about cars? Unless Land Rovers are now allowed here, they at least have a tractor history at first, hahahah
She was the owner/operating her automobile. :D

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #97  
....On many vehicles, including mine, the emergency key in the key fob is just a switch which activates the electric lock. There is no mechanical connection so it's useless with a dead vehicle battery.

Just curious as to the year, make and model of that car?

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #98  
To those who pass judgements; If everyone who has done something remarkedly stupid concerning vehicles at least once in their life were somehow not allowed to have a license, there would be virtually no one left on the roads.
Well, I won't deny that I did quite a few others things were I probably should have lost my license, but hopping out while it's in gear to push it out of a snow bank isn't one of them. 😬

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #99  
I recall plenty of times as a kid getting stuck in the snow, leaving the car in gear, and getting out to see which tire is spinning. I also recall getting out with it in gear and pushing it out of the snow and jumping back in and off you go. I don't recommend that to anyone. It's a good way to get run over. I don't think it would warrant losing a driver's license.
Been there, done that with a tractor trailer. I was told "not to back down into the loading dock/ramp if there is snow on it. Shovel it first". Nope "I knew I would not get stuck. Well I backed in, tires cooled down and I was stuck. Did like Moss, got out the bucket of sand out of the trailer, put the truck in gear and tire started spinning. Threw some sand under it, quit spinning, but other one started spnning. Threw sand under that one and truck started to move, ran, jumped in and drove it up the ramp. Jon

/ Locked in the Car and Unable to get Out - Food for Thought #100  
I got locked inside my 93 wrangler. The mechanism inside the door fel apart and neither the inside button nor the outside key would unlock it. Had to take the inside door panel off to fix it which is a real challenge when the door is locked shut.