Log splitter with lift table and 4 way wedge

/ Log splitter with lift table and 4 way wedge #31  
OK it took you 10 months to swap fittings now how long are you going to make us wait for a video? :)

/ Log splitter with lift table and 4 way wedge
:) Sorry about taking so long, I did get the fittings done right away but I just hadn't replied about it till now. I do plan a video but just havn't gotten around to it. Been using the splitter. I have bent the 4 way wedge up but it is still operable. I am going to remove it and make it a lot heavier this time around. The lift table and main cylinder all work well. All the hydraulics work well all so. I would love to build and sell these locally but I just couldn't move them quick enough to pay for materials. May still build one or two to sell though. Thanks for the reply.

/ Log splitter with lift table and 4 way wedge #33  
How heavy was the steel that you bent? What size do you plan on using?

I want to do a 6 way wedge for my splitter, I have a bunch of really big stuff to split. Does anyone have experience with 6 way wedges?

The vertical part of the wedge was 1 inch by 5 inch and moved up and down thru the I beam which was made by (2) 1/2 inch by 6 inch pieces spaced with 1 inch spacers. The horizontal pieces of the wedge were 4 inch by 3/4 Inch. I am going to make a new vertical wedge with side pieces which slide along the rear support which is 1 inch by 5 inch like you see in my pictures.

/ Log splitter with lift table and 4 way wedge #35  
Ken, I don't think you will want a 6 way for the big stuff, I would stick with the 4 way or the single wedge and save the 6 way for the proper size and grain wood.
Just my .02 It takes a lot out of a machine to split 6 ways. I think if I had the power to split 6 way I would use two uprights about 5" apart , more like a double 4 way.

/ Log splitter with lift table and 4 way wedge #36  
Ken, I don't think you will want a 6 way for the big stuff, I would stick with the 4 way or the single wedge and save the 6 way for the proper size and grain wood.
Just my .02 It takes a lot out of a machine to split 6 ways. I think if I had the power to split 6 way I would use two uprights about 5" apart , more like a double 4 way.

I have the Timberwolf TW-3HD (PTO driven). They sell an optional 6way wedge, but they want $500 for it. Some of the stuff I'm splitting now is hard to manhandle back for another pass even though it splits easily.

Ken, I agree with Dave. The 6 way would work if you are splitting wood like maple or similar but you would have to put the 4 way back on to split well seasoned cherry or some really nasty knotted up wood. I bent my 4 way on some cherry wood that was in 20 to 24 inch diameter pieces. Timberwollf makes some really heavy duty log splitters so that may work for you. Good Luck