log splitter

/ log splitter #21  
Thought I would show you this picture. It is a log splitter on my wifes Ingersoll 224. This thing will split anything! It is dubble acting, and runs of the tractor Hydrolics.[The Case/Ingersoll hydrolics on the tractors put out about 10 gph]

Attachments

• 5-99468-HersRightSide3.jpg
    5-99468-HersRightSide3.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 299
   / log splitter #23  
Ya. Only problem is the logs can't be to long

/ log splitter #24  
Paul
I have followed this thread with a bit of intrest and was wondering if your spliter works as a vertical spliter also ? And could you give the maximum lenght that your spliter will handle please ..

Thanks
Bill G.

/ log splitter #25  
No vertical. It will lift up, or down though. You can lift it up so you dont have to bend down, or lay it almost to the ground. In the pic it is about middle. As far as lengh, I don't know for sure, reg fire place/wood stove lengh fits, but I was going to split some bon fire stuff a little long, and it was to long. I am gussig about 24"

/ log splitter #26  
Thank you ,..... I was think if there is one that will go both vertical and horziontal with a 4' capacity would be a great all round splitter , even better if like yours it was double acting .......Ahhh wishful thinking

/ log splitter #27  
A splitter of this design would be very inefficient (for the operator) if the stroke was longer than the normal length of firewood (18-24"). The operator would have to wait for the ram to get back to the next piece of wood everytime. I'm curious as to why you have 4' long firewood?

/ log splitter #28  
I guess just to put the horse before the cart , split 4' and then cut to stove length , , having to work off a cord of wood , in four ' cut .. Was think that split lenghts would be a bit lighter to pick up than chunks , 12" -14 " and 12- 20"+ around .........

/ log splitter #29  
I don't have any experience splitting 4' wood, only 6' white oak for posts, and 10' white oak for rails. Granted, I can't claim a lot of experience with either of these either, as it was very hard work. Its very difficult, even with a fairly clean (easy to split) wood such as oak, to get the wood to split the full length. It takes a lot of extra chopping along the length to keep the split in the wood, and not running off to the side. I expect this would be the somewhat the case with the 4' wood as well, but others may have more experience with that length.
As for cutting the firewood to length after splitting, I would prefer to cut it to length before splitting. When the wood is short (down to the last two pieces), it is the most difficult cut to make (that last one) as the wood is sometimes hard to hold and get the saw to bite into it without tossing the piece around. Maybe that is just my inept ability to handle the saw and log on the ground. However, it would keep me from wanting to have 4' split pieces laying around waiting to be cut to length for a wood stove. As for lifting the piece to the splitter, I would much rather lift a 20-24" piece up to the splitter, than to lift 4' lengths. Maybe I am too fussy in my old age, but for the life of me (and 25+ years cutting and splitting firewood at an average of 6 cords a year), I can't imagine wanting to split 4' lengths, if I didn't have a stove that would take that length. Please don't take this as any indication that it wouldn't work for you. I would like to know if it does.

/ log splitter #30  
Hi, I bought a Northern 3PH log splitter for my NH 2120 (9.8 GPM) but because, as another poster mentioned, the control valve did not have a detent position on the return stroke it was not very good for splitting wood fast. Most splitters have a detent in the control valve that allows the user to not have to hold the valve handle while the cylinder is returning (return stroke only). You and make the most of this time by picking up another piece of wood so when the wedge returns far enough you can drop the wood in the splitter and reverse the direction and continue splitting. The stroke time is slower on this unit because of the low volume tractor hyd. A 4" cyl @ 2500psi will give 16 tons of force and requires 1.3 gals at 24" stroke. This equals a 9 sec stroke time out and 9 sec back. As for me I prefer the horizontal splitter because I'd rather lift than bend over and work, but thats just me. If anybody wants to build one I have a set of plans for a 3ph unit that u can build for about $300.