Long Hot Summer!

/ Long Hot Summer!
Wen, I always heard that the difference between a Yankee and a Damned Yankee was that a Yankee comes to visit and a Damned Yankee comes to stay./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif By golly, I'll bet they don't stay long right now; at least not if they have any sense./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif This summer would almost make you want to be a Yankee!

Bird

/ Long Hot Summer! #12  
I have become addicted to the weather channel watching for any sign of rain or cool weather. The good news is you won't pull any muscles working out in this kind of heat,the bad news is, as Mark found out, there are worse things than pulled muscles. We're on our 38th day without rain after 11+ inches in June. If it doesn't rain here tomorrow it will be the first time since records have been kept that there was no rain in August. Remembering the summer of 1980, though, makes this one not quite so bad. It was in the 110-120 degree range for weeks in Dallas where I spent the summer. I have found that if I keep my house at 78 degrees, I adjust to the heat better when I go out.

/ Long Hot Summer! #13  
That bumper sticker is just fine with me. My daughter, 2 grandkids and I had a brief layover at Dallas/Fort Worth a.p. last week and we told the kids we'd just pop out the door so they could say they'd "really" been in Texas (very small and gullible). Why, you've never seen 4 people jump back inside so fast! We almost all got stuck in the doorway!
I've never felt anything so awful!!

/ Long Hot Summer! #14  
I feel for you guys in Texas. Here in N. Ga it has been hot,humid, and with absolutely no rain until this week. I have relatives around Dallas and I believe its worse in Texas than here. Hope you get some relief from the heat and drought soon.
Good luck
Greg H

/ Long Hot Summer!
The TV news said yesterday at 108 in Dallas was a new record for the last day of August (not the hottest it's ever been in August, but the hottest for August 31st), and they were predicting that we may break the daily records every day for the next 4 or 5 days at least, and no rain in sight./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Just hope all the air-conditioners keep on working.

Bird

/ Long Hot Summer! #16  
106 here yesterday Bird and say 108 for today I cant imagine it for you all in TX but The cracks in the ground here are getting big enought to trip on as you walk around....so are you all having to jump them in Texas ??
/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

/ Long Hot Summer!
Yeah, Matt, the cracks in this clay are truly amazing. And the worst part is what's happening to home foundations. A lot of folks with slab foundations are keeping the repair crews busy if they haven't been watering all around the house regularly, and yesterday a brick "wing wall" fell on one of the repairmen in Garland and killed him while he was trying to fix the foundation. I live in a doublewide (used to be "house trailers", then "mobile homes", and now "manufactured housing") and I had to get under the front edge this morning with my hydraulic jack and do some adjusting so the front door would open and close easily again (it had gotten to the point my wife had to use both hands on the door knob to pull it open)./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif But my thermometer right now is just on an even hundred, so maybe it won't get quite as hot today as predicted.

Bird

/ Long Hot Summer! #18  
Well Bird I don't feel so bad now. Today is the first day that we have had temps above 90 and it is very muggy. We have had a very cool and wet summer, and it looks like an early fall. The leaves are starting to change already! Hang in there it can't last forever.

Von

/ Long Hot Summer!
Von, I'd sure love to have some of the cool and damp 90 degree days./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif But I guess it could always be worse. I think we've only had about 40 days of 100 or more and if I remember right, that record was about 69 days. And the leaves are falling here, too; just dried up. We don't get the pretty colors you get up north; just brown and yellow mostly. The squirrels and crows are hard at work trying to eat all my pecans; the grasshoppers already ate everything else./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Bird

/ Long Hot Summer! #20  
Bird, Up here the crows are falling out of the sky from West Nile virus. They found 5 just in the past 3 days. Thats just what people find in the yards or see fall. Think how many fall in the woods that we don't see! Its getting so you can't go outside anymore!

Von