Long out of practice stick welder.

/ Long out of practice stick welder. #11  
The 7018 is your problem, it requires more open circuit voltage than most buzz boxes have on low amp settings. 7014 works great on my old Sears buzz box. If the tubing is thin, get 3/32. If you don't weld a lot an old buzz box will serve you fine.

/ Long out of practice stick welder. #12  
Open circuit voltage is close to the same. The issue is ac the voltage drops to zero 30 times per second. The 7018ac electrodes have stabilizers in the flux to keep them burning during the zero volt part of the cycle. The regular 7018's do not have that stabilizer so they go out. AC is 60 cycles per second +,zero,- ect. The zero happens 30 times.

/ Long out of practice stick welder. #13  
Open circuit voltage is close to the same. The issue is ac the voltage drops to zero 30 times per second. The 7018ac electrodes have stabilizers in the flux to keep them burning during the zero volt part of the cycle. The regular 7018's do not have that stabilizer so they go out. AC is 60 cycles per second +,zero,- ect. The zero happens 30 times.

The zero crossing is 120 times per second, so even worse. (2x per cycle).

/ Long out of practice stick welder. #15  
I don't think anyone said MIG machines were bad. I think it got confused with pushing a small 110 volt MIG beyond it's rated capacity. For thin tubing, MIG hands down is 100% easier. With stick try 3/32" 6011 on thin material. 6011 will burn through the flux so you can do a bunch of small tacks to make a weld if you have to.

/ Long out of practice stick welder.
Well I solved my problem, just not in the way I was going. I search the Craigslist for several areas close by and found a Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC 235/165 welder for $250.00. I did not even have to drive more then 10 miles out of my way.

Thank You all for the input. I am sure I will be pleased with the welder. Know anyone in West Mi looking for 180 Amp Lincoln Buzzbox LOL

/ Long out of practice stick welder. #17  
Well I solved my problem, just not in the way I was going. I search the Craigslist for several areas close by and found a Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC 235/165 welder for $250.00. I did not even have to drive more then 10 miles out of my way.

Thank You all for the input. I am sure I will be pleased with the welder. Know anyone in West Mi looking for 180 Amp Lincoln Buzzbox LOL

Congratulations!!! You did good.:cool2:

/ Long out of practice stick welder. #18  
With stick try 3/32" 6011 on thin material. 6011 will burn through the flux so you can do a bunch of small tacks to make a weld if you have to.

I have a question. Why use 6011 on thin material? Isn't it a deep penetrating rod? When I try to use 6011 on low amps like you would for thin material it just sticks to everything. Thanks.

/ Long out of practice stick welder. #19  

Sounds like you got a good deal! Congrats.

/ Long out of practice stick welder. #20  
I have a question. Why use 6011 on thin material? Isn't it a deep penetrating rod? When I try to use 6011 on low amps like you would for thin material it just sticks to everything. Thanks.

Because it's a 'fast freeze' rod.