Long out of practice stick welder.

/ Long out of practice stick welder. #21  
Well I solved my problem, just not in the way I was going. I search the Craigslist for several areas close by and found a Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC 235/165 welder for $250.00. I did not even have to drive more then 10 miles out of my way.

Thank You all for the input. I am sure I will be pleased with the welder. Know anyone in West Mi looking for 180 Amp Lincoln Buzzbox LOL

Great stuff, don't use the 7018AC on DC, it makes an awful weld, at least it did for me,lol
Hobbart makes a 7018-1 rod that works awesome on DC.

/ Long out of practice stick welder. #22  
Well I solved my problem, just not in the way I was going. I search the Craigslist for several areas close by and found a Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC 235/165 welder for $250.00. I did not even have to drive more then 10 miles out of my way.

Thank You all for the input. I am sure I will be pleased with the welder. Know anyone in West Mi looking for 180 Amp Lincoln Buzzbox LOL

Not a bad choice. I bought the same welder about 8 years ago from Tractor Supply for ~$400. No complaints. Use 6011 and 7014 mostly. 6013, 7018 and 7024 occasionally. I've used it to successfully weld cast iron engine blocks using stainless steel and nickel alloy rods.

/ Long out of practice stick welder. #23  
Congrats on the new welder! It should be a great one. I did some fab work for a contractor a few years back with the miller twin. I told the guy I did not want to burn up his new machine, he responded by saying he did not want to hear mine burning diesel. I welded ten hour days for four days with minimal stopping. 1/8th. 7018, it did a great job. He traded it in on a bigger machine after one of his guys told him the machine was junk. I bought it for a buddy of mine and it still welds great. Weld on!

/ Long out of practice stick welder. #24  
I have used both AC/DC stick, wire feed with CO2 gas and now have a cheap Harbor Freight wire feed with flux core.

I'd not go to any flux core wire feed with limited ability of the speed, and amperage as the Harbor freight has.. In a bad pinch it will do but poorly.

/ Long out of practice stick welder. #25  
Great stuff, don't use the 7018AC on DC, it makes an awful weld, at least it did for me,lol
Hobbart makes a 7018-1 rod that works awesome on DC.
There should be no difference in weldability between 7018 and 7018-1. The -1 simply means that the rod has been tested and confirmed to meet low temp Charpy impact requirements. Most 7018 rods will meet this requirement but are not certified. The -1 means that is it certified and it will usually cost more than uncertified rods.
If they seemed to weld better than your other rods, it could have been because they were fresh and dry and had not absorbed moisture from improper storage.

/ Long out of practice stick welder. #26  
There should be no difference in weldability between 7018 and 7018-1. The -1 simply means that the rod has been tested and confirmed to meet low temp Charpy impact requirements. Most 7018 rods will meet this requirement but are not certified. The -1 means that is it certified and it will usually cost more than uncertified rods.
If they seemed to weld better than your other rods, it could have been because they were fresh and dry and had not absorbed moisture from improper storage.

So your saying there's no difference between 7018AC and 7018-1 rods.:confused:

/ Long out of practice stick welder. #27  
The 7018AC have a special coating so they are easier to run on an AC machine. Some types don't run as well on DC. All 7018 has to be certified to meet minimum 20 ft./lbs at -20 deg. 7018-1 meets the 20 ft./lbs at a lower temperature. I think -40 but don't quote me on that. Also most standard 7018 has an H4 designation while the 7018AC has an H8 designation. This relates to the amount of diffusable hydrogen the weld can pick up and the lower the number is better. Had a customer once that was insisting his engineer wanted 7018H8. After explaining for 3 days that it's only available in 7018AC and the H4 exceeds the requirement, they bought the H4. I think they tried everywhere and couldn't find it. Not all engineers are up on their knowledge.

/ Long out of practice stick welder. #28  
Buy the Everlast, pay the shipping cost, stop agonizing and enjoy your new welder.

Good luck.

Some pretty sound advice.

When I bought my wire welder my stick welder now sits alone and dejected.....