Look for advice on tractor purchase

/ Look for advice on tractor purchase #31  
Thanks all for the heads up on scams. Unfortunately, they are pretty common but easy to identify. Does anyone else have some input on the different options available for 5k to 20k? Older, newer, 2wd, MFWD, I'm not sure exactly what I will need to get the jobs done. For example, will a 3000-4000 lbs 30-40 horse tractor clean up a rough steep road with a box blade or drag a 2000-3000- lbs log out of the woods? From everything that I have read on this forum people say get the biggest tractor you can afford. I can get a 4020 for 15K but I think that is too big, cool to have though.
You want 4WD. Hay baler = HP. Think small square bales for horses at most In this HP range.

For the dirt work, weight matters not HP. For the road it depends on how compacted it is. You can help by trying to grade it after a light rain when it’s a bit softened up. You can always drag down hill with the scarifiers then back up hill with them raised to redistribute. Sure it takes longer…but as I say below….compromises.

3000lb log? Not likely. But hey you can cut it into smaller 8 ft pieces and move it.

In your price range there will be compromises.

/ Look for advice on tractor purchase #32  
I elected to buy a 1974/MF 40 construction tractor with a front end loader. I went through the rear end and resealed everything and rebuilt the shaky puddin hydraulic pump.I then rebuilt the front end and gave it a tuneup. 12 years of abuse with round bales and endless hours of mowing and maintaining a 1/2 mile drive I finally had to replace the starter. It's a tank and I suspect it will be my last utility tractor.