Look for advice on tractor purchase

/ Look for advice on tractor purchase
2wd was the norm many years ago, but I would not consider a 2wd in anything but the much heavier tractors. I believe a 3000-4000 lb machine with 4wd will handle the tasks you mention. Not saying 4wd is the "end all" in tractors, but a definite plus in the 30-40hp range you mention.
Happy shopping!
Thanks for the advice, would you say a larger (6k-9k pound, 60-80 hp) 2wd is about equal to a smaller (3k-4k, 30-40 hp) 4X4 tractor?

/ Look for advice on tractor purchase #12  
Can't say about larger..

We have Massey 3-4k with loader and do the kind of work you describe. We are hills always. Almost no flat ground. Its rare when I run in 2WD on the hills.

The driveway - half a mile gravel. We have a grader blade, box blade and rake. The maintenance is slow going. If you put too much of a load on the tractor with the implement, it lifts the front and you loose steering control. Learn to steer with the brakes.

If you can go with a 50-60hp tractor, I would. It's what I wish we had for doing our work.

We mow 15 acres with a brush hog - all hills - about 20 degrees. I wish I had more ponies to climb the hill while the mower is going through heavy grasses. I usually have to drop down in gear to make up the hill.

HST tranny? Not sure I want it on those hills dragging a mower. We also have a sub-compact but it is not our mowing machine. It is an HST and I am still learning the right way to use it. I'm used a geared tractor. I like gears on the hills.

I like the HST for shuttle operations - lifting and moving gravel and such. But, 25hp sub-compact is not going to do the work of the 33hp geared compact. Likewise, a 50-60hp full size tractor will out perform the compact.

I get it done with the machines I have. I just have to take the time to learn each and apply each to the job they are best suited to do.

I wish you the best of luck in your decisions.

/ Look for advice on tractor purchase #13  
Thanks for the advice, would you say a larger (6k-9k pound, 60-80 hp) 2wd is about equal to a smaller (3k-4k, 30-40 hp) 4X4 tractor?

Depends on how you are using it. For instance, if you have a front end loader mounted and lift something heavy in the bucket you may have trouble backing up. That weight is way out in front of the tractor, taking weight off the rear wheels. My old John Deere (2wd) is pretty heavy in the back but with a load of gravel in the bucket it can't back up. Same with my Kubota...but I put the Kubota in 4wd and then backing up is no problem.

Another problem with 2wd is going down a steep hill. No brakes on the front of the tractor so it can be trouble when the rear tires just slide. That's not a problem with 4wd as the front tires will do the braking.

Last edited:
   / Look for advice on tractor purchase #14  
Hello all, I’m looking for a new tractor. I have a budget of 20k but would like to spend closer to 10k. I have 30 acres with about 10 acres of field that I am trying to turn into pasture. I will be using it primarily for brush hogging and hopefully making small bales of hay in the future, maintaining a quarter mile rough road that has two very steep hills, dragging/lifting large logs and anything else it can do to help build a house and barn.

Below are a couple examples of what I am thinking of, some are sold, some are pending. Just looking for advice on era and type. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Newer 4x4 tractor at top of budget

Newer 4x4 tractor at top of budget

Older large 2wd tractor mod budget

Older 2wd at lower end of budget

Older smaller 4x4 low budget

Smallest old cheap

I have a 4x4 New Holland TC40. It is a 2005 model, Shibaura built. Very good tractor and can do what you want. They can be had for around 15-20K. I would shop around and look for something like/similar to this. Dont be scared to pay up to that 20K. Get the best bang for the buck and get 4x4 and loader. Buy once, cry once.

IMG_0246.jpeg

/ Look for advice on tractor purchase #15  
just to state the obvious, i'd never consider an online (or other) purchase unseen.
in fact, once you locate a possibility, i'd hire a tractor mechanic to check it out as well, best of luck, & welcome to forum

/ Look for advice on tractor purchase
Wow thanks for all the great advice. Now that I have a better idea about of what to look for, is there anything you would stay away from that are commonly lemons?

/ Look for advice on tractor purchase #17  
about any tractor that's been neglected or abused. good luck on your hunt, think it's a good idea to get a 2nd opinion when checking our your potential purchace

/ Look for advice on tractor purchase #18  
Hello all, I’m looking for a new tractor. I have a budget of 20k but would like to spend closer to 10k. I have 30 acres with about 10 acres of field that I am trying to turn into pasture. I will be using it primarily for brush hogging and hopefully making small bales of hay in the future, maintaining a quarter mile rough road that has two very steep hills, dragging/lifting large logs and anything else it can do to help build a house and barn.

It's a common question, to give any helpful answer we need to know what the land is like and how you are with mechanical things. Experience and tools? Just want to learn? Have you built houses and barns before?
Not being nosey, its just that the answer as to which tractor depends on more than the tractor.

In the meanwhile, here are some hints...
10K will buy a nice used car, but not much of a tractor. 20K will buy a nice used older tractor.
A used tractor is all about condition. They are so rugged that age doesn't much matter. A good used old one can last forever, an newer abused one is a money pit.

You probably are wasting your time looking online to buy a tractor. Online is good for education, but not for buying. To look to buy, look locally. Get out and talk to people. Ask in feed stores instead of tractor dealerships. Ask at local farms, find who maintains the county fair grounds, ask at small town road & maintenance departments. Go back to that feed store & ask if they have a bulletin board. Get a copy of the local farm newspaper - farmers still use them. Avoid auctions absolutely. Never buy anything there.

Yes, after you get above 50 hp, 2wd tractors will do what you are looking to do just fine. Also, it doesn't have to be diesel. Old gassers work too. It would be nice to have a FEL and a heavy blade on the back. Anything with a FEL must have power steering.

The main problem with really good older tractors is that people tend to keep them rather than sell them. Oldsters find it is easier to just keep an extra old tractor than it is to be constantly changing implements. Those you only find by talking to people who have them.

Luck, rScotty

/ Look for advice on tractor purchase #19  
Here is a good starter tractor and for this price, if you needed a bigger one you could flip it and get your money back. I'm a big fan of starting out with a used tractor in good condition. Use it a year and sell it if it isn't big enough. I have done this a few times and have always come out ok as long as you buy a good used tractor and don't over pay.

This is a good buy and a lot of tractor for a Newb to learn on.

1711818792736.png

/ Look for advice on tractor purchase #20  
Tractorhouse.com I would look at Massey Fergusons. You get a very high quality tractor without paying JD or Kubota prices.