Looking at 06 BX1850

/ Looking at 06 BX1850 #11  
I have BX24 and dont find it all that bad. The abrupt stop in reverse can be bad until you learn to expect it and compensate for it. IE keep the FEL low when backing up if possible otherwise be very carefull. I have not had any problems with it but I also have not used it without the FEL or BH. I have the front mount snowblower on it now but since I got it NO SNOW. Isnt that the way. I wouldn't let the stopping in reverse issue stop me from buying another 50 series.

If you had a choice, at the same price, which would you choose a 50 series or a 60 series?

/ Looking at 06 BX1850 #12  
At the same price with out a doubt the 60 series because it has all of the newest mods. But he is shopping the used market so I doubt that the 50 and 60 series would be the same price unless he lucked out. If something happened to my 50 series and money was an issue I would do it again. I dont find it all that bad myself. But like others have said here it what you feel most comfortable with. If the abrupt stop does both him then I say get it and save yourself some coin if it does then save those pennies and get a new 60 series. Actually if hes buyiing used and going to pay cash I would probably put that down on a new 60 series and finance the balance with the zero interest program thats running. Just my 2 cents and I'm sure its probably not even worth that.

/ Looking at 06 BX1850 #13  
When you test drive the 50 series, if you haven't already, you need to make sure it's fully warmed up; the hydro oil that is, not the engine. That can take 30 minutes in the winter depending on the temperature. The abrupt reverse stopping won't show it's full impact until the oil is fully warmed up if not hot. I traded out of a BX1850 to an 1860 mostly for this reason.

/ Looking at 06 BX1850 #14  
I test drove a 2350 when I was tractor shopping,I had read about the stopping issue here and sure enough it did it.It was distracting.Then I drove a 2360 the stopping issue was not there.

The price on the 2350 was very good,both tractors were new, I bought the 2360.

/ Looking at 06 BX1850 #15  
At the same price with out a doubt the 60 series because it has all of the newest mods. But he is shopping the used market so I doubt that the 50 and 60 series would be the same price unless he lucked out. If something happened to my 50 series and money was an issue I would do it again. I dont find it all that bad myself. But like others have said here it what you feel most comfortable with. If the abrupt stop does both him then I say get it and save yourself some coin if it does then save those pennies and get a new 60 series. Actually if hes buyiing used and going to pay cash I would probably put that down on a new 60 series and finance the balance with the zero interest program thats running. Just my 2 cents and I'm sure its probably not even worth that.[/quote]
I agree with this and your opinion is worth more than 2 cents in my opinion.:)

/ Looking at 06 BX1850
Since I am the OP I decided to buy the tractor last night. Yes thereverse stop is abrubt and I am about 90% sure why. When I get the tractor from dealer I fully intend to look real hard reducing this problem. About 90 % sure what the cause is. just need to see how to remedy it.

My best educated guess on what the problem is... lack of control linkage dampening on the revese pedal linkage..

Unless Bota spent some money and installed some decel valves in the 60 series hydro that I have not found yet on there parts break down. The only other componensts I can find that are different in the drives are the HST Dampener and how they are mounted.

For all of you that have a tractor, don't care what series, and want to experiment. Drive forward and then press on the reverse to get it to return to neutral quicker. (NOTE If the brake is also connected to the hydro linkage you possibly could also apply it to get the same effect) I bet you will experience the same effect.

For you 50 series owners. Pay attention to how rapidly the foot pedal returns to neutral from reverse Vs forward to neutral.

ANY hydro will stop abrubtly if the control linkage is allowed to travel neutral quickly. It is how they are made.

Any body drive skid loaders or zero turn mowers. Same principal here. If you are abrubt on the controls your *** is sliding on the seat or getting bucked off.

Roy aka the Hem Roy ed :D

/ Looking at 06 BX1850 #19  
Hate to say it, but I'll risk it. If a guy plunks down his money for 50 series, he better decide he can live with it, as is.

Fact. If there were a solution to the issue, it would be WIDELY known by now, as three years have passed. The fact that there is no known cure tells me there isn't one.

/ Looking at 06 BX1850 #20  
Hate to say it, but I'll risk it. If a guy plunks down his money for 50 series, he better decide he can live with it, as is.

Fact. If there were a solution to the issue, it would be WIDELY known by now, as three years have passed. The fact that there is no known cure tells me there isn't one.

I agree. When I owned a 50 series and even now, I've followed this issue with hopes that someone, especially Kubota, would come up with a solution. Kubota's own solution was to offer some 50 series owners assistance with trading their BX in for a 60 series. There's extensive threads on this site as well as other tractor sites covering the issue, including cases where dealers have tried various fixes with no appreciable change. If I recall correctly, the major difference between the 50 and 60 series reverse HST linkage is the damper inside the HST housing thus making it uneconomical for Kubota to fix. Having said that, the OP bought his with full disclosure so he was at least aware of the issue. I wish him good luck with attempts to remedy it.