Comparison Looking at a few tractors....which one ?

/ Looking at a few tractors....which one ? #1  

greggyy

Gold Member
Tractor
Compacts
Hi All,

I am going to go past and have a look at a tractor tomorrow, and then will look at some others in next week or more, I am in the low budget end.

I am most interested in using tractor for...

a quasi forklift with forks off rear and no FEL will be in my budget if mid size
maybe post hold digging
to rip to lay pipe from time to time
maybe drag a harrow or rake around

Block is real small, only a few acres, time is not a huge problem, a FEL would be a real bonus, but could only get compact possibly in my budget range, but could get away with a rear scoop possibly.

Land has slope, prob 5m or so in every 50, so need brakes and no old fergie that can continue forward due to say slasher blade momentum Also gets to freezing in winter, so something that will start in a zero celcius winter would help

Next week will look at a Hinomoto C174 with FEL as well, but unsure what weight FEL would handle properly.

But for now, if going mid, what looks best to you and why from below ?

David Brown 995 or 996 or 950 or 885 (or other you suggest in the DB line up that are mid size and usually lower priced )
International A 544
International 434 (will look at this soon)
Massey F 165

Cheers

/ Looking at a few tractors....which one ? #2  
Know nothing about any of your options, sorry.

/ Looking at a few tractors....which one ? #4  
Welcome to TBN!!!!

There are two active members here also from down under. They might be able to assist with your search because of experience of availability.

I'd suggest buying something with FEL if you can afford it. Very handy attachment that you'll never regret having. I would sacrifice some luxuries to have the FEL.

Hopefully you'll get some comments from experienced owners of the various tractors you listed. Keep us posted on your progress. Pictures would be great also. :)

/ Looking at a few tractors....which one ? #5  
Hi All,

I am going to go past and have a look at a tractor tomorrow, and then will look at some others in next week or more, I am in the low budget end.

I am most interested in using tractor for...

a quasi forklift with forks off rear and no FEL will be in my budget if mid size
maybe post hold digging
to rip to lay pipe from time to time
maybe drag a harrow or rake around

Block is real small, only a few acres, time is not a huge problem, a FEL would be a real bonus, but could only get compact possibly in my budget range, but could get away with a rear scoop possibly.

Land has slope, prob 5m or so in every 50, so need brakes and no old fergie that can continue forward due to say slasher blade momentum Also gets to freezing in winter, so something that will start in a zero celcius winter would help

Next week will look at a Hinomoto C174 with FEL as well, but unsure what weight FEL would handle properly.

But for now, if going mid, what looks best to you and why from below ?

David Brown 995 or 996 or 950 or 885 (or other you suggest in the DB line up that are mid size and usually lower priced )
International A 544
International 434 (will look at this soon)
Massey F 165

Cheers

My buddy bought a used International 434....might have been a 444.....with the gas engine back about 1990. What a sweetheart of a tractor it is. Built like a tank. It didn't have a FEL because it had been a hay mowing tractor all its life.
He put a scoop on the back that worked so well he never did get around to a FEL. Which was probably just as well as it didn't have power steering.

Wish I knew the make of the scoop. It was obviously a commercial job of some sort. Made with a pipe frame and with a really rugged scoop bucket. The scoop part had a hardened lip and was altogether much more heavily built than a FEL bucket. I don't have any photo and don't quite remember how it worked, but I remember that the scoop was reversible somehow. There was a lever and you could flip the scoop if you wanted to scoop going forwards or in reverse. Very clever.
Wish I knew what type it was. Maybe someone has seen one.
Good luck on your tractor quest.
rScotty

/ Looking at a few tractors....which one ?
Well the small Hinomoto is gone....so there goes the FEL idea for now :)

I have seen some of the scoops and buckets, they are not expensive either, so may try that with a mid size tractor.

/ Looking at a few tractors....which one ? #7  
Well the small Hinomoto is gone...
One piece of tidbit I can give you, the good tractors sell REALLY fast!!! Also, great tractors sell even faster (dealers buying to resell). So, you need to educate yourself to know a good deal vs. a bad deal... so you can act on it quickly.

By the time you ask about a tractor on here, most likely it will sell before you get back to it.

Precisely why I am here.

I knew the price was good, I also could have rushed and been first as guy was away and gave me first option, but not knowing enough about them and what problems they can have, and no room for error in buying a bucket of bolts (wife would never let me live it down), I have to somewhat wait till I know more or get someone who is away or not answering ad straight away.

under 3 k for anything with a FEL that is a decent brand & running has to be a good buy, with this one I was just not quite ready and was unsure of the hydraulic problem it had, it is not longer cheap if it needs 3k of repairs :)

Look like I have a good international lined up, I am first cab off the rank on that one, but no FEL and these 2 together wold have been cheaper than one mid sized oldie with no FEL.

/ Looking at a few tractors....which one ? #9  
Look like I have a good international lined up, I am first cab off the rank on that one, but no FEL and these 2 together wold have been cheaper than one mid sized oldie with no FEL.

Explain this? Always looking to expand my slang vocabulary!!!! Thanks!!!! :cool:

I thought that saying would cross continents etc....

Basically....first in line, in forst posion ready to go, like a taxi or cab waiting area or rank, the taxi at the front... :)