Comparison Looking at a few tractors....which one ?

/ Looking at a few tractors....which one ? #31  
Yes, some skills are being lost. You start to wonder if it's simply society dumbing down or just technology moving ahead and people not learning stuff that is heading to the history pages.

I think that "technology moving ahead" is the answer to that question. I'm pretty good at what I know, but I have only a simplistic and theoretical idea of how to knap a flint or haft it securely to form a decent tool....skills that were part of a normal education for a few hundred thousand years. My ancestors might think I was pretty dumb - and perhaps rightly so.

Down here our govt creates laws all the time to save you from yourself, so people become less and less likely to have a go at anything...

Yep, that's sure frustrating. It's a downside that seems to be part and parcel of the package which comes along with a generally good government. I'm ok with it because I've seen bad governments - and they are way worse.
One of the nice things about the USA - and a big reason why the country works so well - is simply that it is so big. Now matter what a person's philosophical preference, there is probably some place where the people and the local government feel the same way about things.
rScotty

/ Looking at a few tractors....which one ? #32  
It is probably a combo of both.....down here our govt creates laws all the time to save you from yourself, so people become less and less likely to have a go at anything....

Yep, same here. Everyone expects someone else to do it for them....

/ Looking at a few tractors....which one ?
Hi all

I have a A414......like your B414.....all working including multiple free leaks.....lol.....I was going to get a rake, but have a new use for all that litter.

Internationals are notoriously hard to start, especially in cold weather.

Don't buy a loader tractor without down pressure on the loader.

Hi, I got an A414 as the 434 guy dissapeared.....

Anyway, it was hard to start, but it had a failing car battery, I put another car battery in it that is a little undersized really, but it fires straight away, no glow, no nothing, first thing in the morning, but it is not snowing or icy at the moment, but there you go, you must have only had worn ones or poor batteries.

Went to look at a Jap tractor, and the guy was sitting there glowing it for over 2 mins, and it did not fire as quick, but I think the battery is alos prob not optimal.

The battery tray would take a large commercial style battery, if it had that size with good cells, it would be like a modern direct injection - starting is def no issue.

/ Looking at a few tractors....which one ? #36  
1. At what point do diesels become hard to start, I would expect it to be harder on a day below zero celcius, say -5, but would not expect to be ultra hard, it is not same as minus 20 or 30 for multiple days, which Australia does not get at all.

2. Would it be fair to say all 60's and 70's tractors are harder to start ? ir is there some that of that era are much easier ? I can get a Ford 3000 series (a 3300 it is), similar money sans attachments.

1. It depends on the tractor but once you get to freezing is generally when the fuel and combustion issues could come into play

2. No, my Massey 245 is easy to start

When it gets near freezing outside, it would be a good time to make sure tractor is under cover, I imagine that would be enough to stop most problems, as long as it is not set in or getting really cold for long time.

It only ever freezes during night and maybe a day here or there where I am, a cold day will still be above freezing. Th e A414 I have starts very easy when 15C, I have not used glow plugs at all yet, we will see in a few months :)

PS if engine and battery in good shape, I would suspect most brand names would start well, or there would not be so many of them !

/ Looking at a few tractors....which one ? #38  
My buddy bought a used International 434....might have been a 444.....with the gas engine back about 1990. What a sweetheart of a tractor it is. Built like a tank. It didn't have a FEL because it had been a hay mowing tractor all its life.
He put a scoop on the back that worked so well he never did get around to a FEL. Which was probably just as well as it didn't have power steering.

Wish I knew the make of the scoop. It was obviously a commercial job of some sort. Made with a pipe frame and with a really rugged scoop bucket. The scoop part had a hardened lip and was altogether much more heavily built than a FEL bucket. I don't have any photo and don't quite remember how it worked, but I remember that the scoop was reversible somehow. There was a lever and you could flip the scoop if you wanted to scoop going forwards or in reverse. Very clever.
Wish I knew what type it was. Maybe someone has seen one.
Good luck on your tractor quest.
rScotty
I know where such a scoop is fixing to be sold ,I will try and get a picture as well as the brand looks exactly as you said