Looking at a LK3054

/ Looking at a LK3054 #1  

To20Chris

Platinum Member
Tractor
LK3054
Hello - I 'm new on this forum, but I’ve been reading for several weeks - it's a great place to learn! This first post may get a bit long & rambling, so I’ll apologize in advance! I've been shopping for a CUT for a couple of months, and almost bought a B7610 Kubota (very good local dealer), but got cold feet due to the light weight & ladder frame.

Initially I really liked the CK20HST, but it seemed down on power (on paper), and the dealer is ~30mi. I looked at MF 1423 & 1428v & thought they were noticeably poor quality, so I finally went to look at the Kiotis. I am very impressed with the quality & I really liked the CK20HST, I think it has it all over a B Kubota. However, it seemed a little slow, like I could feel the power loss, although the one I drove had something amiss with the pedal, so that may be coloring my opinion. I’ve also never driven a Hydro, and running it at a constant RPM seems slightly strange. I also drove an LK3054 (not an XS), and it seems like a great machine, but I had not researched that model & now I’m trying to get up to speed. I’m used to an old Ferguson TO-20, so frankly the crowded operator station and stick on the gearbox don’t bother me, but I’ve got a couple of questions:

1. Has there been any history of lack of hydraulic pump volume, or clutch problems, or did they just beef this up in the XS to keep up with the Kubota Ls?
2. I’m ignorant about the shuttle gearbox. I liked it a lot, and it had a more direct connected feel that the hydro (gee, what a surprise!), but I’m getting lost in the terminology. What, if any, is the difference between synchro shuttle & what is on the LK3054?

I’ll be getting an FEL and probably a Rhino 65A BH on whichever I buy – the dealer says that Kioti used to use the Rhino anyway, and it sure does look the same. I’ll also get R4 tires. Does $19K seem reasonable for an LK3054 set up like this? I’ll be using it for general hauling of bedding, spreading stone & raking out the ring, but I also have a lot of briar clearing to do, as well as quite a bit of drainage and swale work to do to control the water problems I have. I’m sure it will move its share of snow too! It’s the digging that makes me want the bigger & heavier unit, but I’m still not sure it’s worth it to move up from the CK20HST. I would love to use it to level an area for a riding ring, and while that is probably out of the range of either of these units, I guess I’m still leaning towards the LK3054. I will have to decide soon though, because if I talk about this to my wife much more, she’s gonna shoot me! Thanks again for all the free advice I’ve gotten so far!

/ Looking at a LK3054 #2  
To20Chris,
I hope you are ready for the replies. They are going to be all over the board. It is going to make your head swim. But it is great fun unless you are my wife. See told me yesterday to hurry and buy the tractor before she goes crazy.

I have been looking seriously lately at the LK3054XS. No one here has the old version. I agree it is a great tractor. I think the changes make a tried and true unit much better. Talking with the dealer he said about 50% of his sales are the 3054 with all others making up the balance. It seems to be a good all purpose unit. Also, drove the Mahindra 2610 with the HST, another good product but the BH is not available yet. I really like how Kioti has a heavy frame to add to the strength when using the BH. Have to check out the Mahindra web site to see if they have something similar. You might want to go with the 7 1/2 foot BH instead of the 6 1/2. Most of those sold in our area are the 7 1/2.

Your price of 19,000 for TLB is pretty good. The 7 1/2 might kick it up a bit. Out here in California the same set-up is going for around 22,000. But that is the first price quoted. I have found the same in Texas with 7 1/2 hoe for $19,500.

I don't think you can go wrong with most tractors. Just seems to be what fits. I noticed that I did not like the feel from the drivers seat on many so be sure to get something that feels comfortable.

Good luck and post picture of what you purchase.

Richard aka Lablovers

/ Looking at a LK3054 #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( However, it seemed a little slow, like I could feel the power loss, although the one I drove had something amiss with the pedal, so that may be coloring my opinion. I’ve also never driven a Hydro, and running it at a constant RPM seems slightly strange. )</font> Hi TO20Chris. Welcome to TBN. I have a CK20HST and don't find any problem with the power. Yes, you do set the throttle at the RPM you want to use, but it does not have to be the maximum at all times. If you are in High Range, you can experience a little loss if you don't have the RPM up when you're making a full sharp turn which brings the hydraulics down a bit. Low range is for really working and pulling, high for getting on down the road. I think if you were to use this tractor for a little while, you'll see that is quite capable of doing most of the jobs you want to do. I have the FEL, and BH (been backordered, but coming soon), boxblade, boom pole, clamp on forks, brush mower. It does everything I need it to do. With the 3054 you would be able to carry a little larger implement and maybe get a little more work done, but I think either tractor will do what you need to do. Of course, excluding taxes, the CK20 will save you $2-3K most likely. You can't know what this little beast will do unless you can really try it out. Do a search for CK20HST and read Dewave's posts as well as mine and you'll see we're doing a lot with our tractors and so could you. If you like the dealer and feel he/she will do a good job for you, the price is in the park for the 3054. I understand the Backhoes were made by Rhino for a time, but are now made by Kioti. Either way you go, you'll love a Kioti. I saw the Mahindras as well, and they are very nice, just didn't like the dealer. I was meant to get Kioti I guess and I'm not sorry for a second with 60 hard working hours so far, it's going strong. Best of luck, let us know. John

/ Looking at a LK3054 #4  
To20Chris, Wher in Pa. is Hereford?

/ Looking at a LK3054 #6  
To20Chris I am up around Scranton and I have a 3054 in stock you might be interested in Please call me if you want a price. (570)689-7494

/ Looking at a LK3054 #7  
Do you realize that you can get the CK 20 with a standard transmission for about a grand less... The shift pattern is as fast as a shuttle. Notice I said that the pattern is as fast as a shuttle, I did not say it had a shuttle.
I like gears better anyway, you get a few more ponies on the ground and at the PTO, and I sure like the grand ($) in my pocket.
That hydro is easy to operate.

/ Looking at a LK3054
Virgil, I was thinking about going that way too, but I don't really want another trans-driven pto. A shuttle shift I would make it more interesting, but that would be unusual in that class of tractor it seems. I was also thinking about that $1000 price adder for the hydro - they all charge a premium for it, but I would not be surprised if the overall mechanical complexity of the hydrostatic system is less than that of a mechanical tractor. After all, a shuttle shift tractor has a hydraulic pump as well as all the bits in the transmission. Anyone have a feel for the relative reliability?

/ Looking at a LK3054 #9  
TO20Chris, I just realized I never answered your question about synchro shuttle and Mechanical shuttle. With the Mecanical (3054) Shuttle, you must come to a complete stop before moving the shuttle into either the Forward, or the reverse. With synchro shuttle, you can still be moving some and it will change to the opposite direction without grinding. If I remember correctly, the main gear (as opposed to the shuttle lever) is synchronized, so you can change gears while moving as in from 1st to second without grinding by pushing in the clutch and selecting the gear you want. Just the shuttle is not synched. I hope this clears it up a bit. You have to go to the Kioti DK35 or better to get the synchro shuttle option. John
CK20Action

/ Looking at a LK3054
Thanks for the info John - that is what I was guessing. I don't have much feel for how big a deal that is. Initially I will be painfully slow with the FEL, so I can't imagine the mech shuttle will slow me down much, but eventually I will learn what I am doing. So the question is will the lack of synchro on the shuttle get in the way then? The learning curve would be steeper with the mech shuttle too (more controls to operate). It's a tough call, with the LK3054 having more power, weight, and a more powerful FEL, but a more cumbersome transmission system.