Looking for a Duramax

/ Looking for a Duramax #1  

OrangeToys

Platinum Member
Tractor
2016 Kubota M7060HDC
Ok so I've been convinced in my other thread "justifying a diesel" that I need one. Im set on a Duramax but I'm not sure what years are the better ones and what to look for when getting a diesel truck.
I'm not concerned about any of the Duramax motors being a bad for any given year. Thanks for the help!

/ Looking for a Duramax #2  
Ok so I've been convinced in my other thread "justifying a diesel" that I need one. Im set on a Duramax but I'm not sure what years are the better ones and what to look for when getting a diesel truck.
I'm not concerned about any of the Duramax motors being a bad for any given year. Thanks for the help!

2007 LBZ is the best of the bunch!!

/ Looking for a Duramax #3  
There are some differences that are worth looking out for if you aren't going to keep it stock. I would say regardless of your intentions that the first generation LB7's would be the least desireable. The injectors are under the valve covers, harder to replace and the ones that came with the trucks or produced shortly after just aren't as good as the newer ones. The LLY and LBZ DMaxes were definitely an improvement and are pretty good in their own right. The LBZ is generally the most desireable, especially for modifications due to its beefed up crank which will handle more horsepower. The LBZ is also popular because it is the last engine made before DPF. I've got a 2013 LML DMax and I love it. It's a beast, yet well mannered, quiet (yet you still know its a diesel at idle), gets good fuel economy and by all accounts they've got the bugs worked out. I guess my order of preference would be (from most desireable to least desireable) LML, LBZ, tie between LMM and LLY, then LB7.

/ Looking for a Duramax #4  
how do you tell which one is in which truck

/ Looking for a Duramax #6  
06 and 07 LBZ is the best. Neighbor has his for sale. Early 06 to the start are junk in my opinion. I had a 05 that sure was.

Chris

/ Looking for a Duramax #7  
Mine is an 04 with the LLY. Has 135,000 miles on it now and is running strong. Has had the banks 6 gun on it the whole time. 2 problem motor wise I have had is the injector harness and that was done under warranty(TSB). The other was the fuel pressure regulator (rough idle).

Motor and trans have been solid on this truck and it has not been babied. I bought it used from a friend at 45,000 miles. Lets just say we both like to run vehicles hard.

I have had to replace my share of front end parts though. Having 315's on it doesn't help. Idler and pitman done 2 times. Tie rods once. Both bearings once.

/ Looking for a Duramax #8  
All the DMax engines are of a solid design. LB7 injectors will last over 100k easily if you use a decent fuel filter and change the thing.

The DMax is nearly as reliable as a comparable year Cummins.

People like to rag on the LB7 because of the injector design, but GM extended the warranty by quite a bit. I've put a bunch of injectors in the 'legendary' 7.3 PS, but I never saw a warranty extension on those! Not to mention the 6.0

/ Looking for a Duramax #9  
06 and 07 LBZ is the best. Neighbor has his for sale. Early 06 to the start are junk in my opinion. I had a 05 that sure was.

Chris

I agree, 01 to early 06 are not worth owning, unless you plan on an engine from Merchant auto. Otherwise, an LBZ or a new 2013.

/ Looking for a Duramax #10  
Didn't see your other thread. Why do you need to purchase $4.25 diesel instead of $3.75 gasoline? Service glow plugs. Replace two batteries. Pay more for oil changes. Service HP common rail injectors. Replace a turbo someday. Replace a higher $ starter. And if going post 2007. There will be service costs for the filter and urea injector.