Looking for a Duramax

/ Looking for a Duramax #11  
I would shoot for a LBZ. My buddy has a 02 LB7 it is a great truck but he is fighting for a second set of injectors under Warrenty. He has a ton of filtration and a fass pump and another set is falling victim. I have an o1 7.3 and I really like mine and I really like his LB7. It's nice to not have to mess with spark plugs, coil packs, weakness, and inferior motors not built to last.

/ Looking for a Duramax #12  
Didn't see your other thread. Why do you need to purchase $4.25 diesel instead of $3.75 gasoline? Service glow plugs. Replace two batteries. Pay more for oil changes. Service HP common rail injectors. Replace a turbo someday. Replace a higher $ starter. And if going post 2007. There will be service costs for the filter and urea injector.

The 2007 GM LBZ Duramax had neither a DPF, nor running SCR. DPF started in 2007.5, SCR in 2011.

The SCR is a good thing, if doing any kind of hauling, the diesel will pay for itself.

Oil changes only cost mote if you pay someone to do them.

Gas engines are far from maintenance free.

/ Looking for a Duramax #13  
2006 is first year for the 6 speed vs. 5 speed Allison. 2007.5 and newer the LMM motor came out with the DPF pollution system. LML came out in 2011 with Urea tank to go with the DPF. Transfer cases in some trucks have an issue over 100K miles with pump rubbing a hole in it. Merchant has a kit to prevent this.

Just made a 1400 mile round trip pulling a 30' travel trailer with our '08. Just wish it had more room in the crew cab, kids are getting bigger.

/ Looking for a Duramax #14  
2006 is first year for the 6 speed vs. 5 speed Allison. 2007.5 and newer the LMM motor came out with the DPF pollution system. LML came out in 2011 with Urea tank to go with the DPF. Transfer cases in some trucks have an issue over 100K miles with pump rubbing a hole in it. Merchant has a kit to prevent this.

Just made a 1400 mile round trip pulling a 30' travel trailer with our '08. Just wish it had more room in the crew cab, kids are getting bigger.

How was the MPG on that trip?

/ Looking for a Duramax #16  
I would shoot for a LBZ. My buddy has a 02 LB7 it is a great truck but he is fighting for a second set of injectors under Warrenty. He has a ton of filtration and a fass pump and another set is falling victim. I have an o1 7.3 and I really like mine and I really like his LB7. It's nice to not have to mess with spark plugs, coil packs, weakness, and inferior motors not built to last.

I would like to own a diesel, so down get me wrong... I am not bashing them, but this is kind a blunt statement. I have a '03 impala with about 700 miles short of 200k. I replaced the spark plugs around 120k just for the heck of it, was about $50, never coil packs. '96 ram with 160k, replaced spark plugs and coil once just for the heck of it. I really don't see these are major arguments against gas engines. As far as built to last, I could replace the motor in the impala at 250k for under $3k (probably less, I really haven't check) but I don't see this motor having any major issues in the next 100k miles. What did it cost for "his second set of injectors?"

Again, not bashing diesels as I do really want one, but that to me is a weak argument against gas motors.

/ Looking for a Duramax #18  
Did you have a regen during the trip?

I didn't notice the truck doing a regen. during the trip. Probably less then a 100 miles were without the trailer though. The frequency of the regen. cycles do seem to be related to running loaded or unloaded.

/ Looking for a Duramax #19  
See Mike Haugen's reply. Some people still think gassers have carbs, heat riser valves, V belts, points ignition and run on leaded fuel.
Today's gassers routinely go 300,000 miles with just filters , two spark plug changes and oil changes. The EPA has made a point of making the diesel more expensive and less reliable.
The glory days of diesel pickups when there were superior to gassers was cummins from 1981 until the common rail engines were introduced.

/ Looking for a Duramax #20  
See Mike Haugen's reply. Some people still think gassers have carbs, heat riser valves, V belts, points ignition and run on leaded fuel.
Today's gassers routinely go 300,000 miles with just filters , two spark plug changes and oil changes. The EPA has made a point of making the diesel more expensive and less reliable.
The glory days of diesel pickups when there were superior to gassers was cummins from 1981 until the common rail engines were introduced.