Looking for a winch for my tractor

/ Looking for a winch for my tractor #11  
I don't like winches. I use a heavy cylinder off some construction equipment with shackles at each end. It takes some time if you need to pull a distance, but usually you don't and that cylinder won't take no for an answer.

/ Looking for a winch for my tractor #12  
I used a Warn M1200 Electric Winch and Bumper mount and attached it to my box blade which hardly gets any use. It is a beast, with the box blade tilted and on the ground it will pull my 8K lbs crew cab up a slope with the tractor in neutral.

:laughing: Just occurred to me this solution won't be of much use if you do not already have it mounted before you get stuck. It does make a good ballast.

Good Luck.

Attachments

• 20160109_122852 Web.jpg
    20160109_122852 Web.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 169
  • BB Winch2.JPG
    BB Winch2.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 169
   / Looking for a winch for my tractor #13  
I'm with you, Industrial Toys. But with a slight twist - I don't like being in a position where I need a winch.

Belzington - too true. A stuck vehicle without a winch, of some type, attached - - a real PITA(squared).

/ Looking for a winch for my tractor #14  
The problem where a pulling cylinder might not work is if you need a long cable to something far away and taking the slack out could be a problem. Or even the stretch in the line.

/ Looking for a winch for my tractor #15  
I'm with you, Industrial Toys. But with a slight twist - I don't like being in a position where I need a winch.

Belzington - too true. A stuck vehicle without a winch, of some type, attached - - a real PITA(squared).

Agreed.... BUT crossed a seasonal creek with no problem to do some work on other side... But coming back, one moment ok, next moment stuck with chassis sitting in the mud.. Ok, its a SCUT, and 4WD, still it was mud "1" tractor "0"... It did take Jeep with large winch a bit of struggle to unstick SCUT, when half buried in mud a 1,600 LB tractor may as well be 16,000 and difference from being not stuck to stuck maybe 5-10 seconds...

Want to know what stuck really is, go to youtube channels and look at some of the really big excavators and such with even the cab full of mud... This is stuck... Use "stuck excavators" as youtube search string...

Two Excavators in Deep **** - Heavy Recovery - Terribargarn, Sweden - YouTube

Dale

/ Looking for a winch for my tractor #16  
Want to know what stuck really is, go to youtube channels and look at some of the really big excavators and such with even the cab full of mud... This is stuck... Use "stuck excavators" as youtube search string...

Two Excavators in Deep **** - Heavy Recovery - Terribargarn, Sweden - YouTube

Dale

Wow, that "blue clay" looked like cement with an attitude, the commentator cracked me up, I keep thinking of Samuel Jackson talking in Pulp Fiction. Also, I am at loss as to why the wench operators station was directly behind and inline with cable pull, I guess cables never snap in Sweden or maybe winch operators are considered non-essential personnel.

/ Looking for a winch for my tractor #17  
I also have the Igland 3501 logging winch on the back of my tractor most of the time for tree work, ballast and should I need a pull or pull something else out. I also have a 12,000 lb electric front mounted winch that I made a frame for and it mounts directly on the frame of my tractor. This does cut down your ground clearance by a few inches. I need to make a shield for it for brush deflection. I may eventually move it outwards and up so that I can get my clearance back.

/ Looking for a winch for my tractor #18  
For his purposes a 3pth winch would be useless, as by the time he's stuck it's too late to go put it on. Then again I can think of only one time in 50 years that I couldn't get myself out with the bucket. Granted in earlier days I would use a chain attached to a tree to help (and the other end to a hind wheel, if I didn't have a loader).

/ Looking for a winch for my tractor #19  
ALL of my winching was with the 4WD club in Anchorage. Looking back, many of the "stuck situations" were the result of stupidity, bravado and macho. Most were situations that the normal person would not attempt. Get in a group of young fellows with the "I'll do it - go anywhere" attitude and the trip can become a real bore. Several times, I simply turned around and went home in utter disgust. 4 wheeling can be a great adventure - it doesn't have to result in damage to vehicles.

Anyhow - what I really wanted to say - when winching it's a good idea to throw a blanket - old Army wool blanket - over the winch cable. Cables snap, anchor points can release instantly. The cable can snap back with great force. I've seen it take out a grill - go thru a windshield - and the most frightening - wrap around a spectator. The Army blanket will absorb all the recoil energy - the cable will recoil a foot or two, then fall limp on the ground.

/ Looking for a winch for my tractor #20  
My only winch experience is the 9000 LB Harbor Freight unit on my car trailer. I bought and mounted it to pick up a dead Ford 8N tractor. I power it from the battery on my F150 by way of a home made set of 2/0 jumper cables. The 8N had a 700 lb loader on it and an elevator gearbox hanging on the 3pt hitch so somewhere between 4000-4500 lbs. Winch pulled it right on the trailer.

Winch has been sitting out in the weather hard mounted to the trailer for about a year. Hadn't used it again until this week and my daughter needed her Honda Element taken to the shop. Hooked up the cables and it pulled it right up on the trailer.

My guess is you would want at least a 12,000 lb winch to pull a 3 or 4 K tractor out of a bog. You wouldn't want to mount an electric winch where it might become submerged. You would also need to consider it may need to be attached at either end since you don't know what the circumstances will be when you get stuck.

At least on my trailer I know I will be pulling something on so it was a safe bet to mount the winch on the front of the trailer down low. I used the trailer frame for the front bolts and welded a piece of 2-1/2" x 1/4" angle across the frame for the rear winch bolts.