Looking for advice for moving large granite block

/ Looking for advice for moving large granite block #1  

NHhomestead1775

Tractor
2009 Massey Ferguson 1540 Hydro
Hopefully someone can give me some advice. I want to move a granite block that is 14in x 6ft x 2ft. I calculated that it is approximately 2300 lbs. I have a MF 1540 hydrostatic with bucket and 3 pt hitch. Before I try anything I want to make sure I am not going to damage the tractor. I am pretty sure that the bucket capacity is well below that. But what about the hitch? Any thoughts and or suggestions. Could it be pushed and/or pulled with the bucket, or again am I asking for trouble?

Thanks for any helpful input.

/ Looking for advice for moving large granite block #2  
The old ways still work. :)

cub_simple_lesson03_fig3.jpg

Bruce

/ Looking for advice for moving large granite block #3  
Hopefully someone can give me some advice. I want to move a granite block that is 14in x 6ft x 2ft. I calculated that it is approximately 2300 lbs. I have a MF 1540 hydrostatic with bucket and 3 pt hitch. Before I try anything I want to make sure I am not going to damage the tractor. I am pretty sure that the bucket capacity is well below that. But what about the hitch? Any thoughts and or suggestions. Could it be pushed and/or pulled with the bucket, or again am I asking for trouble?

Thanks for any helpful input.

I've actually pulled heavier junk with my Ford, but use the 3-pt not FEL. I attached a chain to one end of the concrete slab, and attached chain to the box blade to lift that one end slightly, 4wd, and go.

/ Looking for advice for moving large granite block #4  
No idea on your tractor. You may be able to push the rock? Try it. Don't try and pull with the loader.

If you pull load the loader first and then attach to the main draw at or the three point but keep in mind the hitch height and backflips.

/ Looking for advice for moving large granite block #5  
I'm with bcp, not sure how far you want to go but some rails ,rollers and levers may be the way to go.

/ Looking for advice for moving large granite block #7  
I have had a lot of luck horsing around heavy stuff by hitching a chain or heavy strap on one end of something like that. If you can hitch it up close to the rear of the tractor, as you pull forward, it will also lift some of the weight onto your hitch bar and also give your rear tires more bite. If it is laying flat on the ground, you can dig underneath it some, then push the chain/strap under the slab with a stick.

/ Looking for advice for moving large granite block #8  
Depends on how far you need to move it. If you have something like a sled, that's how the old timers moved them. You could make one up with some 4x4's or 4x6 and some lumber. Your calculation on weight is pretty good.

/ Looking for advice for moving large granite block #9  
Your 3pt is rated to lift 2800 pounds. Your loader is rated to lift 1800 pounds. A set of 3pt forks would lift it. My loader has a very close rating and if I wasn't going far I would use my pallet forks to lift as much weight as I could then just push it.