Looking for best cordless drill to purchase

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #61  
I'm an HVAC / Plumbing contractor. I buy only Makita drills and impact drivers

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #62  
There is no doubt in my mind that the Higher priced and higher end tools (Makita, Hilti, Bosch etc) are better than my low end Ryobi. Better in power, and longevity, but I still contend for a homeowner that does not use these tools every day, that his money will better spent on the lower end tool that will get the job done. He can buy 2 or 3 Lithium batterys and run a dozen tools, everything from weedeaters to drills and impacts or sawzalls. The key is having the new Lithium battery technology which do not self discharge when just setting around for weeks at a time between uses. Nicads and NiMH batterys constantly self discharge and go bad just setting around. I can have several tools that work pretty well, albeit maybe not up to the specs of the higher end tools instead of ONE of the higher end tools. Now if I was making my living using these tools, I would think differently. Is my Ryobi impact the wife payed $65 dollars for a few years ago as good as a $300 one. No, I doubt it is. But is it VERY usefull and still working fine? Yes it is. There is my 2 centavos.

James K0UA

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #63  
There is no doubt in my mind that the Higher priced and higher end tools (Makita, Hilti, Bosch etc) are better than my low end Ryobi. Better in power, and longevity, but I still contend for a homeowner that does not use these tools every day, that his money will better spent on the lower end tool that will get the job done. He can buy 2 or 3 Lithium batterys and run a dozen tools, everything from weedeaters to drills and impacts or sawzalls. The key is having the new Lithium battery technology which do not self discharge when just setting around for weeks at a time between uses. Nicads and NiMH batterys constantly self discharge and go bad just setting around. I can have several tools that work pretty well, albeit maybe not up to the specs of the higher end tools instead of ONE of the higher end tools. Now if I was making my living using these tools, I would think differently. Is my Ryobi impact the wife payed $65 dollars for a few years ago as good as a $300 one. No, I doubt it is. But is it VERY usefull and still working fine? Yes it is. There is my 2 centavos.

James K0UA

I agree. I own a set of Ryobi and recently purchased a bunch of Makita 18V LXT tools. The Ryobi's have never failed doing around the house tasks. Only the batteries have ever quit and the new 18V lithiums fixed that problem. However, if I were depending on tools to make my living, there is no question that the difference in quality is worth paying for and the Makita tools are far better made.

I don't know if Ryobi even makes an impact driver but that has become my go to drill. I use the standard chuck drill only when I need to switch back and forth a lot. Otherwise I just grab the impact driver and a kit of driver bits and drill bits. If you've never had the experience of driving a 3" self tapping screw with an impact driver you are missing something wonderful.

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #64  
Ive used pretty much all of them over the years, some just as good as the others, Some fail rather quickly,
about 8-9 years ago I switched mostly to all Hitachi tools, primarily because one of there service Distributer /Warehouses and service center located about 4 miles from me,
IMHO Hitachi is ranked at the same quality as Makita, If anyone has ever been skeptical about purchasing a Hitachi because of their bling-bling toy look, don't be fooled by their appearance, they are actually a good quality product,
However! Due to the lack of building over the years Hitachi has taken a hit, They shut down the location near me and only have the one in Atlanta open, Lowe's was one of their retailers and I've notice they're no longer stocking up on Hitachi products, ( Too Bad ) at least I have many of their tools that I'm sure I'll be using years to come, Even if they're not still in business in the future,:cool:
Looks like DeWalt is holding strong, I suppose they'll be who I'd go back with if Hitachi products become unavailable,

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #65  
I'm still pleasantly surprised at the performance of my Craftsman C3 line of cordless tools. Recently picked up two Li-Ion batteries with a 1/2" Drill and Charger for $100, I like them them much better than the Ni-Cad's it came with. I also have another 1/2" Drill, Recip. Saw, 5 1/2" circular saw, 3 flashlights, the weed whacker and the blower, the blower has already worn out it's bearings. Never been a big fan of Craftsman's power tools but I like these.

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #66  
I don't know if Ryobi even makes an impact driver but that has become my go to drill. I use the standard chuck drill only when I need to switch back and forth a lot. Otherwise I just grab the impact driver and a kit of driver bits and drill bits. If you've never had the experience of driving a 3" self tapping screw with an impact driver you are missing something wonderful.

They do, I have one, and it uses the same 18V lithium battery, and it is a good and usefully tool.. Oh, here is another one of those awkward points of agreement about using an impact to drive long tough screws.. sheesh..:mischievous:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18...-Driver-Tool-Only-P236/100049838#.UrhusPRDsrU

James K0UA

/ Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #68  
bigskytool.com sells recon Hitachi tools. I have several of their tools: drills, impacts, saws, blower, chainsaw. Never got a bad one. New tool warranty. Recent daily deal Hitachi 18V 1.5Ah Lithium Ion
Slide Battery Impact Driver for $56.

Lithium Ion slide technology battery *
The WH18DSAL 18V Lithium Ion Compact Pro Impact Driver is compact at less than 7” in length and lightweight at 3.3 lbs. With unmatched turning torque in its class- 1,280 in/lbs, the WH18DSAL tackles heavy applications like tightening and loosening carriage bolts, driving lags and sinking deck screws. Additionally it can drill into wood, metal and concrete. The WH18DSAL delivers a no-load speed from 0 to 2,600RPM and an impact rate of anywhere from 0-3,200 BPM. The ¼” hex chuck saves time as bits can be changed quickly and easily by simply grabbing, pulling, inserting, and releasing the chuck. Bits are secure and won’t slip or fall out. It is balanced for proper wrist alignment which reduces fatigue during continuous operation.
Includes

(2) 18V 1.5Ah Lithium Ion Slide Batteries (BSL1815X)
Quick Charger (UC18YGSL)
Carrying Case

They are sold out right now

Last edited:
   / Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #69  
Compare similar tools with respect to what you get in their voltage class when you look at the higher costs. The higher priced tools have high amp batteries and usually come with 30 minute chargers and of course storage cases (but not that that really matters so much).

Look very closely at rpm speed and torque. Some manufacturers offer various configurations of torque and rpm within a tool class and I think that may account for differing opinions of performance with similar tools. Like it has already been pointed out in this thread screw head design is major factor in driving screws without slip or chatter or stripping. And of course the impactors will enhance driving ability.

And overall total tool weight isn't that critical a factor to me anyways. A half a lb difference either way on the big boys isn't a real deal breaker. If you really want lightweight go with latest 12v offerings or models they now refer to as subcompacts.

A lot of a tools design centers around ergonomics the fit and feel, especially good if your using tools often. Most all offer the choice to buy a "bare tool" once you have the battery/charger kits and with the big names that bare tool is sometimes only 1/3 of the original investment which is a pretty good deal .

Now for my tool reviews :)

I needed to replace a Makita 9.6V I had for what seemed forever. It was the type with the built in battery and before keyless. One day it just started smoking on the charger, fried and went dead. So when I went drill shopping I picked up a 2462-22 Milwaukee 12v impact to use around the garage for now. It easily knocked off lawnmower head bolts the first time I tried it and it will bury a 3 1/2 screw full depth into a pine board quick as can be. But not so powerful as to strip out smaller screws before you realize it. It will strip out low grade 1/4 inch bolt threads if you try. At the current price offering I think its a very cool deal and has a higher torque rating than the previous 2450-22 which by the way has been on sale with a hex screwdriver and case all for $99.00. I first thought I would get the Makita 12v combo. It was also $99.00 for two tools and some reviews claimed it wasn't powerful but the real deciding factor as it been mentioned in this thread was in the hand. The Milwaukee just feels so right! I'm hooked on these little guys! :)

Eventually I do plan to add the LXT218 combo kit to my work arsenal for up at the orchard and going around on jobs with my GC buddy.

Hey how come nobody is stepping up with any Harbor Freight yet? :D

Last edited:
   / Looking for best cordless drill to purchase #70  
Hey how come nobody is stepping up with any Harbor Freight yet?

Uh.Oh. the fertilizer has hit the ventilator now!:D