Buying Advice Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #11  
To me it sounds like mowing fairly level acreage is the primary task.

Personally I would move into a compact tractor (25-30 hp ... bigger better) but because you are not going with a F E Loader, my question becomes ... why buy a tractor at all? Flail mowers may be great, but they extend out beyond the tractor pulling unit.

Have you considered perhaps a zero-turn mower instead ? The cut width can be comparable, and you don't have any extra machinery. You ride atop the mower (stadiums and golf courses use these mowers a lot). If going new, get the biggest engine and mower that the budget allows.
eg> OR Ventrac Mowers etc. - also great on any slopes. and the articulated design means that they are great for tight corners.
Check out the commercial zero-turn mowers before you buy anything. Not what I needed, but I did seriously check them out last summer.

Video - Ventrac 34 - Not Your Average Mower

all the best.

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #12  
Subcompact tractors are considered 'A' grade turf finish mowers but only 'D' grade field tractors.

Powering a Flail is field work.

You need more tractor than a Subcompact.

There are numerous previously owned compact tractors for sale via eBay, near Zip Code 28730.
LINK: -mower in Industrial Tractors | eBay

Last edited:
   / Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #13  
Jeffy,
Where did you discover this grading system for tractors?

And, do you actually mow at 2 mph?

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #15  
Well, the advice is all over the lot on this one, isn't it? Yes to subcompact, no to subcompact, yes to flail, no to flail, etc.
I used both a large compact and a subcut for mowing on a similar field-type property for more than a decade. Of course a subcompact can do that work! In fact, we ended up using the little one for most of the mowing even though it took longer and you did get bounced around a bit more. You DON'T need to keep a subcompact on a smooth-as-glass lawn in spite of what some skeptics say! If your property was mowed periodically (typical hayfield, for example), the little subcompacts get along just fine. Does a larger tractor roll over a divot or rut smoother? Of course. And it will eat much heavier brush with ease and you can cover more ground.

We mowed with a belly mower on the subcompact and a bush hog type cutter on the big tractor. The little one was always set as high as possible - something like 4" - and the cutter was maybe 6". The grass looked beautiful when mowed either way.

I can understand your need to keep costs down. Everyone has some kind of budget to live with. For that reason, I'd suggest you consider a standard rotary cutter instead of a flail. Some people really like flails, but they are clearly a "specialty" tool and not nearly as common as rotary cutters. Going with a conventional rotary mower will cost less initially and will need less upkeep.

The advice about getting a loader with your tractor is sound. Loaders are by far the handiest additions to a tractor. That's why those used tractors you looked at had loaders. The loader also adds greatly to the resale value and marketability of your tractor.

So I'd tell you to keep looking for a subcompact if your budget requires it, pass on a flail mower and use the savings to configure your tractor with a loader. Free advice worth every penny! And go out and kick some tires and take some test drives! You'll learn more in 15 minutes than you would in hours of reading and doing spreadsheets of specifications.

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #16  
I would go for a B series Kubota or other similar sized in a different brand and just get a rear finish mower. It will do all that the flail will do for your pasture. I don't think you will find the pricing a whole lot more than the BX. I would go with R4 tires over the turfs for anything that is possibly a bit soft to travel over. We had a JD 750 with turfs and it wouldn't pull a slight hill on wet grass especially if you needed to turn while doing it.

Don't forget to check the LS brand if you have a dealer near by. I saved a ton of money (well actually I paid the same but got twice the HP tractor) by buying LS over Kubota.

As someone mentioned, a commercial or near commercial grade of zero turn might work well for you too. I have a 7 foot mower for my 70 HP tractor and I can mow my pasture quicker with my 52" zero turn Ferris IS700 mower AND get up against the trees and even mow under some trees that I just cant get to with the big tractor.
The top speed for my mower is 9.9 MPH but I cant go that fast in the pasture due to it being too rough but I do manage about 6 MPH which is about all I can do with the tractor without hitting my head on top of the cab.

If you are sure you wont buy a FEL on your tractor, then heavily consider just getting a good zero turn. You can get a good 60" ZT mower with air ride suspension seat for less than the BX cost with your choice of mower type. You can then mow that 9 acres in a couple of hours easily. If all you are looking to do is mow, then get a machine that specializes in mowing.

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #18  
   / Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower
Thank you to all the responders. Based on all your feedback, I'm going to move up to a B series with a FEL (maybe that's why I see a bunch of used subcompacts with relatively low hours the owners get them and decide they're not big enough). I don't think the pastures have lots of ruts but the point about the bucking bronco ride from Jeff is well taken. We'll need to do a bunch of mulching, and the FEL will make it a lot cheaper and easier to get a bulk delivery rather than picking up the bags from Home Depot, which we've been doing in the past. Same thing with manure for the garden. I don't think I'll be using the FEL all that much, so are there any reasons besides cost to decide on the size of the bucket?

Still planning to go with the flail for the safety, cut, mulching, noise, maneuverability, and storage needs, but bumping up the width to a 5-footer. To vvanders comment, I'm fine with a little bogging down doing super lush grass, and if need be, I can just slow down. And it looks like I can get the Caroni from Agri Supply faster than the 3+ weeks for the WoodMaxx.

Leaning towards the B2601 over the B2650. Going out this morning to actually look at them.

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #20  
Good call. A B-series will be much more suitable to your property and tasks.