Buying Advice Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #31  
Yeah, I know I'm unfortunately right at the minimum HP. And I'm already upping the budget to close to $20K. Here I have two Kubota dealers, one at 15 miles and the other a bit over 20. Being a newbie, I will likely make more use of the dealer than a more seasoned user.

The Messick's B2650 video showed B2650SU without a mid-PTO at a reduced price.

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #32  
The Messick's B2650 video showed B2650SU without a mid-PTO at a reduced price.

Good call. I forgot about the -SU. But I think it's a B3350SU, not B2650SU (at least, Kubota's site is only showing a B3350SU as far as I can tell...?), but that may work out better for the OP.
2017 Kubota B3350SU Review

Basically, no mid-PTO and no position control for the 3-pt (which isn't needed w/ a flail mower, which rides on its rollers), and a little over $2k savings over the B3350.

The B33xx series was having more than it's fair share of regen issues, though. I think they were supposedly addressed with ECU updates, but are they 100% put to bed?

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower
Just came back from the closer dealer. There’s a $700 difference between the 2601 and 2650, but they said the 2650 comes with a QA bucket as opposed to the pin bucket on the 2601. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

After I saw this posting, I called up the dealer to ask about the 3350SU, and they said they won’t sell it because it’s a too small engine for all the emission stuff they had to put in, and it runs hot. Recommended moving up to an L, but that’s another sizeable jump in $.

The only BxxxxSU listed on the Kubota website is the B3350SU. Maybe Messicks made a mistake.

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #35  
Don't know why, but NC has two different Fairviews -- one outside Asheville (mine) and one outside Charlotte (yours).

Yea I noticed that myself. I was going to suggest Kioti & Reedy Creek in Lexington but that 145 miles or so. To be fair we bought from them and they are 100 miles from us (They also had a lower "Asking Price" than the closer dealer even before haggling started).

As far as needing the dealer - while there is always the possibility of a lemon, generally speaking you shouldn't have any major mechanical issues you need them to work on. The majority will be first time owner questions "How do I...?" type stuff & that can usually be answered over the phone or by e-mail (or by a quick trip to TBN ;) )

Actual brand selection aside, I'd like to pile on the bandwagon that is voting for the 30HP range and (although I think you're already set on it now) a FEL is a MUST!! We went without for 35 years of my tractoring life and I have no idea how we managed what we did without it.

We have a 4 acre field we used to mow that is now "loaned out" for haying and roughly 12-14 acres of pasture land that gets mowed once a year to knock all the seed tops off the grass. We went with a 35 HP and there are times I wish we had stepped across to a 40HP Utility but then I get in some tight corner between the fence and the barn or between some trees and I'm glad we didn't.

For 9 acres you could probably do fine with a 22-26 HP model but you'll end up with a smaller mower and possibly slower ground speed. If that's not a big issue then you're golden.
I tell my Dad all the time - every job takes 2 things; Time & Money. The more you have of one, the less you need of the other. ;)

Good luck with whatever you get & be sure to come back and share pictures of your new machine - everyone loves pictures.

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #36  
b2601 is fine little bee, the B2650 is a Big Bumble Bee

A year or two you will get a M Series while keeping the B series

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #37  
Just to add my $.02

i bought 10 acres and first tractor was a Kioti CK25. Did not think i would ever use a FEL but in reality i used it all the time for lots of projects; moving mulch, smoothing drive, digging holes etc.

i also had a standard rotary mower pulled behind the tractor.

2 years ago i stepped up to a Kioti DK40 and what a difference in everything. More power makes such a difference in smoothing, moving dirt etc.

I went from the rotary to the Caroni 1500 flail which i got at Agri Supply in Tifton, Ga. I live near Ocala Fl but worth the drive. They put it in the bed of my truck and my FEL got it out. i much prefer the flail to rotary. JMO.

Like another member mentioned the Zero Turn is great as well.

I bought a Gravley Pro Turn 52 and most times use it to mow it is so much faster.

I do use the flail if the grass gets really high.

Looks like you have decided to go tractor with FEL. I strongly suggest get the most HP you can afford. I am a big Kioti fan but I'm sure others are just as sound a choice.

I have the tires betwen the turf and Ag. i believe they are called R1, not sure.

I imagine any quality tractor will do but again I recommend more HP if it is affordable.

Best of luck !!

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #38  
Yeah, I know I'm unfortunately right at the minimum HP. And I'm already upping the budget to close to $20K. One problem with Kioti is that the closest dealership is 65 miles away, Here I have two Kubota dealers, one at 15 miles and the other a bit over 20. Being a newbie, I will likely make more use of the dealer than a more seasoned user.

Don't let the dealer distance be the deciding factor. I could understand if it was 200 miles but 60 miles is really not that far in the end . Besides I don't imagine you will be going to the dealer 3or 4 times a year

Ended up getting the B2650. Should be delivered on Tuesday. Also ordered the Caroni 1500 flail from Agri Supply. They're shipping that on Tuesday since I will need the tractor to bring it down from the street. Thanks to all who helped me -- sure ended up with a different tractor than I originally thought. Now I have to learn to maintain it -- and I know where to go if I have questions. Much appreciated!

/ Looking for first tractor (sub-compact) and flail mower #40  
You should check out the LS XJ2025. A bit bigger then the sub compact, it will be better in the rough fields, more stable. LS is based out of NC so you should have a dealer close. Disclamer, I am a dealer. Not local to you, but I get many unhappy kubota sub compact owners because of the poor lifiting capacity and service.

EDIT: sorry, missed the last post. Just a little too late, lol. You will be happier with the larger tractor for sure.