Looking for some info/advice on a tractor I Inherited (Massey Harris)

/ Looking for some info/advice on a tractor I Inherited (Massey Harris) #21  
There's defiantly a whole in the bottom of that manifold, it's tiny, and appears to not be threaded, but looks like a brass insert is in there, maybe its actually a drain? to prevent flooding?

I mainly thought of that because I have an old rototiller with an updraft carburator and it has a drain screw in the bottom of the float bowl. That doesn't really mean anything, but it just kinda made me think that maybe it could have been a drain of some kind and had the plug missing.

/ Looking for some info/advice on a tractor I Inherited (Massey Harris)
I just spoke with my Mechanic. While he doesn't work on tractors, he knows an older gentleman who's retired that just works on vintage tractors now. He's going to try to get a hold of him and see if he'll come out and take a look. So there's promise yet.

I'd say for the price I'm into the tractor so far (free) I don't mind putting a little into it, I think its worth it to keep it running and in tune, so we'll see where this leads.

Hopefully I can get it setup to pull a 5 reel gang mower :thumbsup:

Worth noting:

The gear pattern is somewhat backwards, with 1st and 2nd being in the middle of the "H" and 3rd and 4th being to the left (at least, that's backward to me) and then reverse being to the right of 1st and 2nd. Hence why I **** near snapped my neck first time I let the clutch out all the way. I was in 4th :eek: Where 1st normally lies on everything else I've driven.

-Trev

Attachments

• gear pattern.jpg
    gear pattern.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 575
   / Looking for some info/advice on a tractor I Inherited (Massey Harris) #23  
The gear pattern is somewhat backwards, with 1st and 2nd being in the middle of the "H" and 3rd and 4th being to the left (at least, that's backward to me) and then reverse being to the right of 1st and 2nd. Hence why I **** near snapped my neck first time I let the clutch out all the way. I was in 4th :eek: Where 1st normally lies on everything else I've driven.

-Trev

I noticed that in this pic that you posted. Note in the upper right of the photo you can see "3 1 R" right below the shifter.

Attachments

• DSCN4238.JPG
    DSCN4238.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
   / Looking for some info/advice on a tractor I Inherited (Massey Harris) #24  
I saw a picture of a cabbed tricycle model that was set up to run 40 MPH and was used by mail carriers in rural areas in the winter due to rutted roads of the era.

They have a lot of history that Google can find for you.

I noticed that in this pic that you posted. Note in the upper right of the photo you can see "3 1 R" right below the shifter.

Yup, I noticed it cast into the housing shortly after I shot off :laughing:

Last edited:
Found some info on Twin-Power, however this contradicts most other info I can find, that indicates Twin-Power is fuel differences, this indicates that it is:

Twin Power was a sort of gimmick that gave the tractor two different governor speeds. The governor was allowed to rev up high only when used in high gear or belt work

I can of course check the governor workings once the fuel system is all sorted out.

Attachments

• info.jpg
    info.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 451
   / Looking for some info/advice on a tractor I Inherited (Massey Harris) #27  
I replaced everything, put fresh clean fuel in, and gave it a test run. Drives great, occasional sputter (tune up soon as I can find parts) but it goes under its own power. Actually I was trying to figure out the gear pattern and found 4th gear, that little thing moves! All four forward gears and reverse go good. I actually couldn't get it to go into gear until I moved a large (1/2 to 3/4 inch thick) bar forward (see attached pic's) Oh, my apologies about the bird crap, it was in a pole shed the last 15-20 years :)

Gear just grinded until I moved it forward, then it went into any gear silky smooth. Any idea what the heck that bar is?

After looking at the pic in your last post, I wonder if that would be for engaging the belt drive which is absent on your tractor?

I'm thinking - put trany in gear then pull back on lever to change output from drivetrain to pully? Just a wild guess.

/ Looking for some info/advice on a tractor I Inherited (Massey Harris) #28  
Found some info on Twin-Power, however this contradicts most other info I can find, that indicates Twin-Power is fuel differences, this indicates that it is:

Twin Power was a sort of gimmick that gave the tractor two different governor speeds. The governor was allowed to rev up high only when used in high gear or belt work

I can of course check the governor workings once the fuel system is all sorted out.

This could have been the system used on the MH that was used to deliver mail because if the governor was so that in 4th it would rev higher it could increase road speeds.

/ Looking for some info/advice on a tractor I Inherited (Massey Harris) #29  
We had a '60 Farmall Cub and carb kinda resembled yours. If you flooded the engine the gas would drain out there, or if the float valve wasn't shutting off tight that is where the gas would leak out. If the float valve was only leaking a small amount, the hole would only drip gas when the tractor was shut off, but if passing badly then you would get a drip when the tractor was running. The drain below the float, that has a plug in it, was so you could attach a piece of clear tubing to see what level the float was controlling the level to. Here is link to what IH carb looked like. Farmall Cub IH 3/4 Updraft Carburetor
Here is parts list and it's called 'drip hole filler' item 16.

Donnie

Attachments

• Page-18.jpg
    Page-18.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 604
  • Page-19.jpg
    Page-19.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 255
Ah, cool thanks.

I'll print that out for reference. Mine leaks if the fuel tank shutoff valve is on, just from gravity pressure, so I'm thinking there's a gasket or seal gone, again, not a carburetor guy, so it will be a learning experience.

-Trev