Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best?

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #11  
If it was me.. get a 94.5 7.3 psd.. that engine goes to about 2003.5

rev to 94.5 was a turbo 7.3.. basically the NA 7.3 from 90-93.5 with a turbo stuck on..

I like the 7.3psd. I have a 99 f450 drw with a custom towing bed.. 5th wheel or GN, extra fuel tank, scoop on roof and tool boxes.. 2wd 4 dr. 4.88 rear. pulls great.. don't go over 72 on the interstate though.

I loved the truck so much that I got rid of my 'daily driver' 98 dodge 1500 w/ 360 gasser to get a 99 f 350 drw 4wd, 4 dr, long bed also with the 7.3 psd.

at work I drive a 04 f250 with 6.0psd. has been a good truck. some early models gave them a bad name.. etc.

i went DRW because I like alot of rubber on t he ground and it feels better for me when towing.. mor stable.. more traction..e tc. if you don't need the extra axle rating.. many like the SRW, like Chris above.. etc.

soundguy

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #12  
A thread close to my wishes
<snip>

I want to be able to tow my tractor and a horse trailer with a couple horses.
I have been half heartedly trying to determine the regulations for towing in Virginia for years with no reliable answer. And I've started many threads here w/o a reliable definitive answer. I think it's up to the LEO.

The questions:
Can one legally tow a trailer and equipment package that weighs 4,000 lbs TOTAL with a trailer rated at 12,000 lbs and a vehicle rated at towing 10,000 lbs?

Can one legally tow the above if the truck tow rating is rated above 12,000 lbs?

One trailer dealer told me that ANY trailer RATED over 10,000lbs REQUIRED a CDL if you were only hauling your personal feather pillow and the trailer. I've tried calling the state and local police and they just passed me from phone to phone with no answer.

So one of the first questions to answer is what weight do you need to tow?

If you need to tow above 10,000 lbs you'll probably need a '99 or later F, maybe w/ manual transmission. I don't believe any of the vans pre '06 were RATED above 10,000 lbs.

I NEED 4x4 and 4-door at a minimum.

I WANT to be able to drive it and park it if I need to for work which is a LONG 60 to 75 mile one way commute with some of the worst traffic in the USA (I-95N from VA into DC) and into dense parking lots or airport lots etc.
Unless you like to walk don't get a dually if you can get by w/ a SRW. I can barely park my E350 most places now. At Dulles and National I routinely parked in what seemed like the next county.
I think I want Diesel, but I'm not sure. I think I'd prefer SRW and I'm fine with less than an 8' bed, but I think I want to pull gooseneck trailers. So...

I'm also pretty sure this list means I am totally insane, crazy, etc...
We both are, but I want DRW.
So... is it a 2006 with 6.7? is it a 1989 with 7.3? Gas or Diesel???
I'd say focus on a 2001-2003 7.3L SRW manual w/ < 150,000 miles, new plug, injectors, rebuilt front end, clear CARFAX, evidence of proper SCA level in the Norfolk area. They seem to pop up often around there as I suspect former govt. trucks. Should be able to get one private party for < $15K.

Good luck and keep us posted.

/edit - and if you are going for SRW there may not be much advantage for 350 vs 250.

Here's some tow ratings for the '99 (earliest data I have):
F-350 SD SRW 7.3 TD** 14,100a,d,g
F-350 SD DRW 7.3 TD** 13,800a,d/e,g
F-350 4WD SD SRW 7.3 TD** 13,700a,d,g
F-350 4WD SD DRW 7.3 TD** 13,400a,d/e,g
F-350 SD SRW 7.3 TD** 13,300a,d,g
F-350 4WD SD SRW 7.3 TD** 12,900a,d,g
F-350 SD DRW 7.3 TD** 12,900a,d/e,g
F-350 4WD SD DRW 7.3 TD** 12,500a,d/e,g
aRequires automatic transmission and towing package.
bRequires 3.31:1 axle ratio.
cRequires 3.55:1 axle ratio.
dRequires 3.73:1 axle ratio.
eRequires 3.98/4.09/4.10:1 axle ratio.
fManual transmission.
gFifth-wheel towing.
hAutomatic transmission.
iMust be equipped with heavy-duty towing package.
jRequires automatic transmission cooler.
kRequires 16-inch rims.
lAutomatic rated slightly lower.
mRequires 17-inch wheel option.
nRequires 3.27:1 axle ratio.
oRequires 4.30:1 axle ratio.
pRequires 4.88:1 axle ratio.
qRequires 5.38:1 axle ratio.
rNGV = natural gas fueled vehicle

and I found a Ford pub on the web for the 2003 7.3 liter and it rated the 7.3 at 12,500 lbs for all configs except the 350 DRW 4x4 which was 12,400 lbs.

Last edited:
   / Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #13  
The questions:

Can one legally tow a trailer and equipment package that weighs 4,000 lbs TOTAL with a trailer rated at 12,000 lbs and a vehicle rated at towing 10,000 lbs?

Yes.

Can one legally tow the above if the truck tow rating is rated above 12,000 lbs?

Yes.

One trailer dealer told me that ANY trailer RATED over 10,000lbs REQUIRED a CDL if you were only hauling your personal feather pillow and the trailer.

That trailer dealer is a dope.

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #14  
Here we go again! Trlr. rating vs. trlr. gross wt. The dealer prolly meant towing over 10,000 lbs (load + trlr) DOES require a CDL, but he might be right? Not sure about a "RV" trlr. I believe that they are exemp just like motorhomes.
I know that it is hard to get a straight answer from a LEO. Go to the state MVA for a CDL booklet. It's all in black and white in there.

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #15  
I really love my 2006 F350 crew cab 6.0 but I have had some issues however Ford made good and took care of them all under warranty. check any maintenance records if you find one of these. One the oil pans leak in front of the rear main seal common on all of the 05 and 06 models they had a bad gasket design. The only way to fix this problem is to pull the entire engine out big job but good Ford diesel mechanics do it all the time. When they pull the motor out it is good practice to replace the head gasket with a new one and a head stud kit made by American Racing. The replacement head stud kit is for some reason stronger then the Ford stock ones. The Ford head studs have a habit of breaking for some reason there weak. Another problem with the 6.0 is the engine oil cooler cools the oil and antifreeze run through the unit but they are separate. If the oil cooler goes then you get oil in your antifreeze not good. There is aftermarket oil coolers that are better then the Ford stock one. See if it had had an oil cooler replaced in maintenance records. If it has not it is a sure thing you will be faced with this sooner or later as it is a very common 6.0 problem. The 06 seems to be worse for the oil cooler problem then the 05 but the 05 seems to be worse for head gaskets blowing. If you find a 6.0 that has had the head gasket upgrade and a new oil cooler installed and the oil pan gasket issue fixed I would not hesitate as the 6.0 I think is a great engine. If you find one with no maintenance records of any of this work being done I would stay away from it as these things are common on most all of them. My motor has been all done by Fords and these issues were all addressed under warranty. Fords put about 10 thousand dollars warranty work into my truck. The problem is guys who don't have warranty left on there truck to fix these common issues with the power stroke 6.0 are now wanting to sell there trucks because lets face it who wants to put thousands into repairs. So if you find a deal on one of these trucks do your homework ask for maintenance and warranty repair records if these were done and it is a good deal I would not hesitate if there is no records of any of these things being done I would run away as fast as you can.

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #16  
As you know I have two 6.0's and never a day of issues with either. Better than I can say for my neighbors 07 Dmax that just got the Allison removed for the second time getting a input shaft seal fixed this time around.

I love my 06 F-350 SRW Diesel. Its a beast.

I would get a 05 or later F-350SRW truck. They had better steering, better front suspension, and the 6.0 was a good motor at that point but the early reputation still followed.

Chris

I am with Chris on this one I think the 6.0 is a good motor just needed a few things sorted out. Mine runs beautiful now!

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #17  
Long as fuel mileage is not a Huge concern, I am related to a mason who punishes his 97 350 every day. 460 auto 4x4. Almost 300,000 miles. Usually has a 700 series bobcat, scaffold, and 300 gallons of water on the trailer behind it,(bumper pull) and a yard of sand on the back. Just replaced the right hub, and trans at 275,000 miles. Maintenance has never been his thing, and I know for a fact, he never services his trans regularly, and oil changes come whenever, sometimes not for 10,000 miles-makes me cringe, but his truck must like him.

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #18  
If it HAD to be a Ford I would only buy something with the 7.3 Diesel.

But if it were me I would look at a Chevy DMaxx or Dodge Cummins... anything but Ford Diesel! :cool:

U sure you wanna commute in a 3/4 ton or 1 ton work truck everyday? :confused:

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #19  
I am with Chris on this one I think the 6.0 is a good motor just needed a few things sorted out. Mine runs beautiful now!

I would avoid a Ford 6.0 like the plagued! :ashamed:

Glad your's is working well though. :thumbsup:

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #20  
I really love my 2006 F350 crew cab 6.0 but I have had some issues however Ford made good and took care of them all under warranty. check any maintenance records if you find one of these. One the oil pans leak in front of the rear main seal common on all of the 05 and 06 models they had a bad gasket design. The only way to fix this problem is to pull the entire engine out big job but good Ford diesel mechanics do it all the time. When they pull the motor out it is good practice to replace the head gasket with a new one and a head stud kit made by American Racing. The replacement head stud kit is for some reason stronger then the Ford stock ones. The Ford head studs have a habit of breaking for some reason there weak. Another problem with the 6.0 is the engine oil cooler cools the oil and antifreeze run through the unit but they are separate. If the oil cooler goes then you get oil in your antifreeze not good. There is aftermarket oil coolers that are better then the Ford stock one. See if it had had an oil cooler replaced in maintenance records. If it has not it is a sure thing you will be faced with this sooner or later as it is a very common 6.0 problem. The 06 seems to be worse for the oil cooler problem then the 05 but the 05 seems to be worse for head gaskets blowing. If you find a 6.0 that has had the head gasket upgrade and a new oil cooler installed and the oil pan gasket issue fixed I would not hesitate as the 6.0 I think is a great engine. If you find one with no maintenance records of any of this work being done I would stay away from it as these things are common on most all of them. My motor has been all done by Fords and these issues were all addressed under warranty. Fords put about 10 thousand dollars warranty work into my truck. The problem is guys who don't have warranty left on there truck to fix these common issues with the power stroke 6.0 are now wanting to sell there trucks because lets face it who wants to put thousands into repairs. So if you find a deal on one of these trucks do your homework ask for maintenance and warranty repair records if these were done and it is a good deal I would not hesitate if there is no records of any of these things being done I would run away as fast as you can.

I rest my case. Is it worth all this hassle and trips to the dealer? The darn thing just needs to run! It takes time and money to visit the "stealership" everytime Ford learns of another F.U.B.A.R. with their 6.0 diesel experiment. Even if they do pay to fix it. Just my humble opinion of course... :laughing: