Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best?

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best?
If it HAD to be a Ford I would only buy something with the 7.3 Diesel.

But if it were me I would look at a Chevy DMaxx or Dodge Cummins... anything but Ford Diesel! :cool:

U sure you wanna commute in a 3/4 ton or 1 ton work truck everyday? :confused:

Typically I ride my Harley to work. :thumbsup:

David

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #22  
I drive a duramax and have plenty of friends with fords. I work on diesels for a living. If I were in the market I would buy a dodge with the cummins. Just know that the transmission will typically go at 100,000 miles and the evaporator for ac right about then as well. Both repairs much cheaper than having the whole cab removed for head gaskets and studs. I shouldn't complain about the duramax. No problems in 125,000 miles. But within the next 60,000 or so I can count on doing injectors. @ $400 apiece. Bottom line. Diesels are expensive. Except the old 7.3 stroke. But didn't sound like you want one that old. There is one in our fleet with 475,000 miles and has never been apart.

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #23  
If it HAD to be a Ford I would only buy something with the 7.3 Diesel.

But if it were me I would look at a Chevy DMaxx or Dodge Cummins... anything but Ford Diesel! :cool:

U sure you wanna commute in a 3/4 ton or 1 ton work truck everyday? :confused:

I sure feel safe in mine. I stepepd out of a dodge 1/2 ton into a ford 1 ton for my 'daily' driver.

glad I did.

parking is occasionally a lil harder,, and I add 30 seconds to my drive time to allow for turbo cool down.. but I like more rubebr on the road... feels better with a trailer on the back.

besides.. i havn't noticed a negative fuel impact from that 5.9l gasser vs that 7.3l diesel..

soundguy

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best?
I drive a duramax and have plenty of friends with fords. I work on diesels for a living. If I were in the market I would buy a dodge with the cummins. Just know that the transmission will typically go at 100,000 miles and the evaporator for ac right about then as well. Both repairs much cheaper than having the whole cab removed for head gaskets and studs. I shouldn't complain about the duramax. No problems in 125,000 miles. But within the next 60,000 or so I can count on doing injectors. @ $400 apiece. Bottom line. Diesels are expensive. Except the old 7.3 stroke. But didn't sound like you want one that old. There is one in our fleet with 475,000 miles and has never been apart.

What years were the 7.3 stroke available?
I can easily be convinced :)

I won't brand bash, but I'm not interested in Dodge or Chevy & Toyota does not make a 1-ton...

Besides, my reasoning is partially financial (I own Ford stock), and partially political (Bailout of GM and Chrysler killed them for me forever).

But in my lifetime I have owned WAY more Fordproducts than any other brand...

David

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #25  
Can't link it from my phone. But soundguy had a good thread on production years.

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #26  
I just bought a used Dodge 3/4 ton diesel. I wasn't sure if I wanted a diesel or a gas motor. I always say the vehicle finds me, and thats kind of the way it worked this time. Mine has about 105,000 miles on it and it cost around $20,000. I'd say figure about a 33% premimum for a diesel.

For those that don't tow a lot, a diesel is probably a waste of money, but I wanted one anyway and have been happy with it so far. One regret I do have, I was so worried about the mechanicals, I didn't look over the body of the truck as well as I should have. Later, I found some rust in the rockers. I was under the truck before I bought it also, but I was looking at leaks, front end componets etc. I probably would have bought the truck anyway, but I would have asked for more money off the price.

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #27  
What years were the 7.3 stroke available?
I can easily be convinced :)

90 or so ( maybee late 89? ) to 93.5 a NA 7.3 diesel

93.5 to 94.5 a turbo was added tot he NA 7.3 diesel

94.5-2003.5 7.3 PSD ( a few differences ( some minor ) in the years from early to late with some happening around 97, but essentially the same basic PSD from 94.5 to 2003.5 )

I may be 'off' ont he beginning year for the 7.3 na as I know there was something like a 6.9 before it.. just not sure of the previous engine or break point.

AFAIK, all the 7.3's had a bulletproof reputation.

we had a 94 f250 at work with the 7.3 turbo ( NON psd ) and it was a great truck. bought used at an auction when it was 6ys old for about ? 6000$, sold it earlier this year for 3500$ or so. still running good.

soundguy

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #28  
90 or so ( maybee late 89? ) to 93.5 a NA 7.3 diesel

93.5 to 94.5 a turbo was added tot he NA 7.3 diesel

94.5-2003.5 7.3 PSD ( a few differences ( some minor ) in the years from early to late with some happening around 97, but essentially the same basic PSD from 94.5 to 2003.5 )

I may be 'off' ont he beginning year for the 7.3 na as I know there was something like a 6.9 before it.. just not sure of the previous engine or break point.

AFAIK, all the 7.3's had a bulletproof reputation.

we had a 94 f250 at work with the 7.3 turbo ( NON psd ) and it was a great truck. bought used at an auction when it was 6ys old for about ? 6000$, sold it earlier this year for 3500$ or so. still running good.

soundguy

Just to add to what soundguy posted--

NA is Navistar, a component of International Harvester that made the 7.3L power stroke diesels for Ford. Lotsa info here

Ford Power Stroke engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #29  
If only you could use a flatbed and DRW, I would have a truck for you. :thumbsup: I have an '05 f350 4x4 CC DRW but it has an 8.5 flatbed. had some issues with injectors and HPOP (twice) and EGR twice but was repaired under warranty and everything works as it should. I don't mind the 6.0 but I got a great deal on an '08 6.4 with the same setup (minus the flatbed) and have been waiting over 3 years to put a bed on the '08 to have more towing power.

I think as others have mentioned an '05 thru '07 6.0 or maybe a good deal on an '08 and later 6.4 would get you a reliable diesel. no experience here with the gas burners.

/ Looking for USED F-350 - Which year/engine/model is best? #30  
aside from the navistar info, i was also trying to show it was a naturally aspirated engine too.

both good points though. some may not be aware that it is not a ford designed engine.

soundguy