looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations?

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations? #31  
Re: looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations?

The red colored line in your statement seems to contradict the rest of what you said?
I use non-E gas, and mix it to the recommended ratio, and have had no problems with my saws, weed eaters, etc.

There is No stabilizer that will allow gasoline to be stored indefinitely.

Read it this way.

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations? #32  
Re: looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations?

Two years ago I bought I think a 261. Problems over and over. Was told the motor was burnt up and no warranty for that was either I have the air intake clogged or no oil in fuel. The same mechanic told me know you had oil in your fuel for it was here often enough. Said my pants leg was sucked to the air intake causing the issue. Took to another shop (non Stihl) who pulled it apart and the cylinder walls were in terrible shape. Said away from inlet valve was in worst shape. They said fuel was to lean in settings.

I complained to Sthil and gave them history of the trips to the shop and they had dealership call me to make it right. I traded it back in on a 391, not much larger than the first saw but a world of difference. It has compression release for easier starting and also has more HP. A totally better saw. I would never recommend the model I did have but really like the 391.

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations? #33  

looks like you run the fuel often enough not to have a time related problem. in that scenario, a stabilizer may not be needed. for the occasional use homeowner who stores equip in the off season w/o use, to me it's the luck of the draw. btw, the 021 is (was) an outstanding saw, did you have the pro version? best regards

I have no idea, i paid less than $200 for the saw when i got it, it has done more than what it is intended for w/o a problem. I look at new saws everytime i go to the dealer for oil & service parts & wonder what i'll replace it with when the time comes.
I do use Seafoam in all my equipment & have been blessed with no problems from any of them.

Ronnie

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations? #34  

Bingo, KubotaToy.

For anyone who is not a professional, the current Stihl $299.00 deal for a MS 250 is a no brainer.

Everyone likes the 250 and no one likes its EPA compliant replacement, the 261.

The 250 is no longer being manufactured so you will be stuck with the 261 unless you take them up on the once-in-a-lifetime $299 deal before the end of December.

SDT, who is not associated with Stihl and owns no stock but who does own both MS 250 and MS261 saws.

The 261 is not a 250 replacement, the 251 is. The 261 is a pro saw and far removed from stihl's homeowner saws. It is an excellent saw, been around since 2011 or so.

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations? #35  

I wouldn't judge any engine by the Emissions ratings - they have to guarantee that they meet the requirements for that many hours. They do not want to warranty that any longer than they are required to. AS for useful life, my 029 I bought heavily used 22 years ago and cut 5-6 cords per year with it - mostly hardwoods - and have never done anything to it other than replace/sharped chains and replace the fuel cap and vent hose and of course cleaned it and didn't abuse it. Let's just say it is long over 50 hours. I am sure the emissions do not meet today's standards but this saw cuts as well today as it ever has - in fact it did cut today. That 20" oak definitely met its match.

It is a decent way to judge the quality/life of a saw. The cheaper 50 hour saws do not have nearly as good cylinder, piston, ring components. That is easy to see if you have pulled apart a Stihl homeowner saw. The 300 hour pro saws are much better built on the inside. I did not mean to imply that the numbers correlate directly, but you can definitely expect a 300 hour saw to have better internals. The 50 hour saws will wear out sooner and need a rebuild sooner. For the same reasons, they will lose efficiency/performance/emissions sooner.

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations? #36  

I realize this a late post to this topic - but 40 years ago i had a Husqvarna - basic model - but liked it - I always wanted a stihl so about 10 years ago i bought a nice one - had tons of issues, had to get it fixed for rates i should have boughten a new one and it was mostly a bear to get started and also sometimes you had to wait 30' to try to get it going. finally said freak it - but a nice husqvarna and use the heck out of it and has been a great saw. I recently bought an echo weedeater and it started immediately with a half pull. always has. the stihl weedeater i had always had issues and stringing it was a nightmare and the head wore out once a year. the echo is great and feeds beautifully and loads too.

so - the next time i may try a nice echo - but the one i was looking at ran around $400 - so have to save for it.

stihl - would never buy again or endorse that ever. my 2 cents.

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations? #37  

The 261 is not a 250 replacement, the 251 is. The 261 is a pro saw and far removed from stihl's homeowner saws. It is an excellent saw, been around since 2011 or so.

Correction: Replace 261 with 251 in original post.

SDT

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations? #38  

Buy and use their silver bottle oil with conditioner. Full syn. I run that oil and the insulator on my plug is light tan, no sign of burned oil and machine doesn't smoke, starts right up and sits and idles for as long as I leave it running.

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations? #39  

Buy and use their silver bottle oil with conditioner. Full syn. I run that oil and the insulator on my plug is light tan, no sign of burned oil and machine doesn't smoke, starts right up and sits and idles for as long as I leave it running.

I agree. Noticeable difference.

/ looking to buy a stihl saw 14-16" 10% off at dealer tomorrow, recommendations? #40  

So... Where's the OP? I wonder if he bought a saw on Friday.