Looking to buy my first tractor

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #91  
I just bought my first tractor earlier this year and I chose a 06 John Deere 4720 with front end loader and it had I don’t remember exactly 800-900 hours and you could see the reflection of other tractors in the paint parked next to it.
It was a cream puff and I paid premium, but I don’t think I could be happier. It has a turbo charged John Deere 4024T engine that is around 58 HP and it has never struggled for power, it’s instantly responsive on the throttle and Very authoritative.
No def and like I said it’s a Deere engine not a dingDong or yanmar.
However I have a yanmar in my midi excavator and it has done well for me.
I just couldn’t bring myself to spend that kind money for a korean made tractor and that’s the norm everywhere nowadays.
To me you are at the mercy of across the pond values and if you have ever dealt with the like through say online store that has a early letter in-front of bay.
Your response is yes deer, so sorry, thank you for your understanding. And a bunch of tazzled up English words put together to appease you until they finally get around to filling what you need.
You have 0 leverage dealing with them and you are at their mercy.
And a $40k tractor is worthless if you can’t get the $5, $50, $500, or $5000 parts.
I as you can tell have had a belly full of dealing with across the pond hoopla on nickel and dime items and no way was I going to tie up a bundle of money on hope and faith that parts would always be available.
So that is why I went with Green.
And on a final note.
Remember that a front end loader on a tractor is An Attachment.
It’s not a bull dozer that you can just do anything thing with.
It an additional add on and you can break stuff if you just try and plow through because you have 4 wheel drive and plenty of horsepower.
Look at how it’s attached to your tractor and and always remember it’s an add on.
I have seen several times where guys have busted the side of engine a block or twisted or just flat out broke front end loaders.
It’s not a Bobcat, or a dozer.
It’s a tractor with front end loader attachment. And so many forget that or take it for granted.
And that’s also another reason that it’s so easy to roll a tractor especially with a front end loader.
I wrote this in hopes that you and others will give a little extra thought whenever you climb up on any piece of equipment.
It’s there for our benefit and a little extra time and care can make things last be beneficial and at the end of the day that’s what it’s all about.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
But my vote is Deere.
One last thing.
Any dealership will reach deep in your pockets when you need parts.
No matter what color.
Be it green, yellow, red, orange or blue.
Ok I’m done.
Enjoy. And hope this helped someone.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #92  
Hi just joined the group, I’m looking for opinions on what tractor to get I’m thinking that a compact is what I need. I’ve got a little over 20 acres in north east Texas a lot of timber on the property a lot of down trees needing cleaning up and piles to burn.

I’m planning to do a lot of heavy lifting in addition to a good bit of dirt work. That said I require a front end loader, a box blade and eventually like to get a grappler and a brush hog and I’m sure other implants down the road. I’ve gone to several of the local tractor dealers just looking and having no real ideas on what to get.

For the little bit of research that I have done I like a lot of the standard options the new Summit tractor offers. I know it is not a well established company and only time will tell.

One thing I would prefer is that the tractor not need DEF because of the added complexity of them and from what I’ve heard they can be more finicky. I’ve been advised to stay away from the tractors with regin systems.

Additionally I would like to stay under 25k

Thanks in advance.
Under 25 thousand is definitely in used catagory. New Holland Workmaster series in 50-60-70 hp - Nothing smaller or less overall weight. If you can find any and under 30 thousand you had better jump on it. ( I have a 50 hp which is actually 53 hp turbo.)

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #93  
forks and grapple would be my choice, really big trees can be dragged in pieces anyway. If you are allowed to burn slash then a back blade is useful for pushing burn piles up and repairing the damage you will do to driveways etc. Your needs will evolve as you make progress so I would go for a good used machine in the 50+ horsepower range with rear hydraulics first.
Tractors in the old days were big and heavy as they were primarily dragging a plough or suchlike through heavy soils and relied on the weight for traction, with the advent of the Ferguson system and front wheel drive, weight became a secondary consideration.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #94  
A lot of guys pass on these tractors bu it you purchase a John Deere check out who made is perhaps YANMAR???

willy

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #95  
I just bought my first tractor earlier this year and I chose a 06 John Deere 4720 with front end loader and it had I don’t remember exactly 800-900 hours and you could see the reflection of other tractors in the paint parked next to it.
It was a cream puff and I paid premium, but I don’t think I could be happier. It has a turbo charged John Deere 4024T engine that is around 58 HP and it has never struggled for power, it’s instantly responsive on the throttle and Very authoritative.
No def and like I said it’s a Deere engine not a dingDong or yanmar.
However I have a yanmar in my midi excavator and it has done well for me.
I just couldn’t bring myself to spend that kind money for a korean made tractor and that’s the norm everywhere nowadays.
To me you are at the mercy of across the pond values and if you have ever dealt with the like through say online store that has a early letter in-front of bay.
Your response is yes deer, so sorry, thank you for your understanding. And a bunch of tazzled up English words put together to appease you until they finally get around to filling what you need.
You have 0 leverage dealing with them and you are at their mercy.
And a $40k tractor is worthless if you can’t get the $5, $50, $500, or $5000 parts.
I as you can tell have had a belly full of dealing with across the pond hoopla on nickel and dime items and no way was I going to tie up a bundle of money on hope and faith that parts would always be available.
So that is why I went with Green.
And on a final note.
Remember that a front end loader on a tractor is An Attachment.
It’s not a bull dozer that you can just do anything thing with.
It an additional add on and you can break stuff if you just try and plow through because you have 4 wheel drive and plenty of horsepower.
Look at how it’s attached to your tractor and and always remember it’s an add on.
I have seen several times where guys have busted the side of engine a block or twisted or just flat out broke front end loaders.
It’s not a Bobcat, or a dozer.
It’s a tractor with front end loader attachment. And so many forget that or take it for granted.
And that’s also another reason that it’s so easy to roll a tractor especially with a front end loader.
I wrote this in hopes that you and others will give a little extra thought whenever you climb up on any piece of equipment.
It’s there for our benefit and a little extra time and care can make things last be beneficial and at the end of the day that’s what it’s all about.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
But my vote is Deere.
One last thing.
Any dealership will reach deep in your pockets when you need parts.
No matter what color.
Be it green, yellow, red, orange or blue.
Ok I’m done.
Enjoy. And hope this helped someone.
Just remember a 'Deere' is a cute little green thing you pet, but a Workmaster is something you buy to work with. No petting required.

Tree and Workmaster 50 meet. I think the pictures show who gave up first.

Attachments

• IMG_8389.jpeg
    IMG_8389.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8399.png
    IMG_8399.png
    7 MB · Views: 58
   / Looking to buy my first tractor #96  
So I have 100 acres here and a 37 PTO hp 4-wheel drive Kubota and it does just fine. I move some pretty big logs here and there as I also have a small saw mill. Make sure you get 4 wheel drive, and a front loader. I change the attachments on the front more than I do the rear! Bucket, grapple, and forks will do most anything you want, on the back I have a carryall (on most of the time) a boxblade, a rock rake, post hole digger and two mowers, a 6' brushhog and a 6' finish mower. All serves my purpose well, your purposes will probably be different, but you get the idea. Dont get too small of a tractor but you don't need to get too large of one either.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #97  
What I am seeing in Middle Tennessee is a new T474HST is about $26k or a used John Deere/Kubota anything with 200-700 hours is $21,000 to $25,000.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #98  
Most of the brands include 4wd and a loader standard nowadays. The more expensive brands charge extra for them so they can make their entry price points seem more reasonable.

The way I was treated by the JD dealer, if you gave me a loaded one for free, I would sell/trade it and get something else.

One of my issues with used is that most dealers treat you like a 2nd class owner if you didn't buy from them.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #99  
I bought two tractors from my Mahindra dealer over a span of 30 years, and still am getting the 2nd class treatment.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #100  
I bought two tractors from my Mahindra dealer over a span of 30 years, and still am getting the 2nd class treatment.
When looking for tractors, I spoke with owners of two dealerships that dumped Mahindra. One in Metroplex, one in East Texas. Both said the same thing. Mahindra didn't do right by customers on warranty claims. Slow to pay the dealership. Good dealers want to get their customers back up and running quickly. They fix the problem and then file with the OEM if it is a warranty claim. If OEM doesn't agree the dealer either has to eat it to maintain the customer relationship or go to the customer and try to get paid. OEMs need to trust their dealers, or don't enter into agreements with them.

Around here, Mahindra is always a 2nd or 3rd brand. The nearest to me is a NH dealer that also sells Mahindra.