Looking to consolidate forklift and tractor into 1

/ Looking to consolidate forklift and tractor into 1 #31  
I don't want to sound obvious . . but everyone is talking about switching equipment and spending money. Isn't the problem the driveway ? If the OP likes his existing equipment . . Wouldn't it be much cheaper and an improvemet to the property to blacktop the drive or use concrete . . . or use recycled blacktop ?

My point is . . . remove the problem. New equipment doesn't help delivery trucks get up the driveway. The OP has a tractor that is fine for size and use. I don't see where getting a tractor too big for everything else but an occasional forklifting need makes sense. And the forklift he has is fine except the driveway is too rough so . . . . . . . fix it :)

/ Looking to consolidate forklift and tractor into 1
The problem is that my forklift and tractor trailers can't handle the grade and the gravel. Tractor can. Cars can. Fire trucks can. Box trucks can. Getting freight deliveries sent via box truck is apparently a major hassle for these freight forwarders, which is driving me to do this. Even if the forklift can drive up the hill, it doesn't have enough fork angle to keep the load level. And yes I understand grade and angles. I have a civil engineering degree. To put it in perspective, I had a new lawnmower delivered a number of years ago. The tractor trailer decided to try to back up the drive. His rear bumper got bottomed out, he pushed past that but then got to a point where the tractor wheels just spun so we dropped the mower 1/3 up the driveway. Others have tried too. All failed.

Paving won't help with the forklift and slope plus it would cost $10k to pave it anyway. I already had it quoted. For that price I can just buy a telehandler and sell the forklift. I also want to consolidate equipment if possible. Space is a premium and if I can have a skidsteer that will handle both jobs, then I can replace 2 machines with 1.

I called 3 local dealers, 1 of which is very helpful and straight. 2 of them agreed that a larger tractor is not the best solution, even though it means losing a potential sale. they'd rather lose a sale than have me unhappy with their recommendation.

It looks like it boils down to a skidsteer or telehandler with the skidsteer looking better since telehandlers are much larger than the forklift and I'd still be left with 2 machines. The higher HP skidsteers can lift over 3000 lbs. I would only need to replace my snowblower. My quick attach forks should still be compatible. By selling my tractor, blower and lift I should have $20k+ for the skidsteer and snowblower.

Thanks for the input and discussion! It's very enlightening and I've seem some creative equipment for sure.

/ Looking to consolidate forklift and tractor into 1 #33  
How about use the forklift you have to unload. Purchase an inexpensive 3 PT set of forks. Build a suitable backrest for it to stabilize your palletized of bottles and back up or drive down your steep drive with existing tractor. Terry image-550798464.jpg
Here' a pic of one of mine.

Last edited:
   / Looking to consolidate forklift and tractor into 1 #34  
The problem is that my forklift and tractor trailers can't handle the grade and the gravel. Tractor can. Cars can. Fire trucks can. Box trucks can. Getting freight deliveries sent via box truck is apparently a major hassle for these freight forwarders, which is driving me to do this. Even if the forklift can drive up the hill, it doesn't have enough fork angle to keep the load level. And yes I understand grade and angles. I have a civil engineering degree. To put it in perspective, I had a new lawnmower delivered a number of years ago. The tractor trailer decided to try to back up the drive. His rear bumper got bottomed out, he pushed past that but then got to a point where the tractor wheels just spun so we dropped the mower 1/3 up the driveway. Others have tried too. All failed.

Paving won't help with the forklift and slope plus it would cost $10k to pave it anyway. I already had it quoted. For that price I can just buy a telehandler and sell the forklift. I also want to consolidate equipment if possible. Space is a premium and if I can have a skidsteer that will handle both jobs, then I can replace 2 machines with 1.

I called 3 local dealers, 1 of which is very helpful and straight. 2 of them agreed that a larger tractor is not the best solution, even though it means losing a potential sale. they'd rather lose a sale than have me unhappy with their recommendation.

It looks like it boils down to a skidsteer or telehandler with the skidsteer looking better since telehandlers are much larger than the forklift and I'd still be left with 2 machines. The higher HP skidsteers can lift over 3000 lbs. I would only need to replace my snowblower. My quick attach forks should still be compatible. By selling my tractor, blower and lift I should have $20k+ for the skidsteer and snowblower.

Thanks for the input and discussion! It's very enlightening and I've seem some creative equipment for sure.

I guess I don't see any solution that doesn't cost 10k. Are you planning on using a track drive skidsteer? They can handle a 35 degree slope on their own where a wheeled skidsteer is considerably less slope capable. But used track drives aren't cheap either. But with a 1 ton pallet on the front going up or down a steep slope of gravel would still be a balancing act.

If you are a civil engineer . . . you already know you'll needvto test your solution with a fully loaded pallet to make sure you can lift the pallet off a semi with height/tip clearance and then go both up and down that driveway before you buy it. I've driven track drives and they are great lifters and sure footed . . but they are a different animal with heavy loads at 4 or 5 feet lift heights . . Especially 1 ton loads.

Good luck. I'd be tempted to build a small building at the bottom and repack to half pallet loads.

Just curious . . How can a pumper fire truck or a water tank truck make it up with a full water load?

/ Looking to consolidate forklift and tractor into 1
I think I have my answer. The solution that doesn't cost $10k is to sell/trade the tractor and forklift for skidsteer. Maybe throw in a few thousand for a track model.

Even if I have to travel at inches per second up the drive, it looks like it can be done. Engineering is the art of estimation. Testing solutions prior to implementation is the work of a lab. I'm confident that by the time I purchase, the solution I go with will work.

Thankfully I've not had to call the fire department to test whether their trucks can make it, but they are not 55' long articulated. they are less than 30' with 4WD. Should it be winter they can swing out their tire chains. If they don't even have the power to climb the hill in 1st gear, then god help us - there are some steep hills in my town and half the residents can't get fires put out.

Thanks again for all the input and information.

/ Looking to consolidate forklift and tractor into 1 #36  
Engineering is the art of estimation. Testing solutions prior to implementation is the work of a lab.

And here I thought engineering was the art of application, and ownership was the need for attaining result confirmation prior to spending the money. :)

/ Looking to consolidate forklift and tractor into 1 #37  
------------------------------------

I don't know how big your forklift is, but my compact telehandler is 6' wide, 6.5' high and 13' long. It will lift over 5000 lbs. and run a snowblower on the SS Quick Attach. It would probably do everything that you are doing with the NH T1520.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And there are compact telehandlers smaller than this one. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• P9290024.JPG
    P9290024.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 257
  • P9290019.JPG
    P9290019.JPG
    264.3 KB · Views: 261
  • P3070021 crop.jpg
    P3070021 crop.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 251
  • P4300005.JPG
    P4300005.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 261
   / Looking to consolidate forklift and tractor into 1 #38  
The only telehandler I have used was a full size Cat. I would hate to use it as a tractor. It was huge, the model with stabilizers could lift a one ton pallet 45 feet it the air.

/ Looking to consolidate forklift and tractor into 1 #39  
I have a NH telehandler but use it only for materials handling. I don't see one being the best choice for your application. IMO of course.

image-373578554.jpg

Terry

/ Looking to consolidate forklift and tractor into 1 #40  
I don't know how big your forklift is, but my compact telehandler is 6' wide, 6.5' high and 13' long. It will lift over 5000 lbs. and run a snowblower on the SS Quick Attach. It would probably do everything that you are doing with the NH T1520.

And there are compact telehandlers smaller than this one. :thumbsup:

You call it a telehandler . . . But it looks like a lull with the multiple steer/drive capability (worm/all wheel steer/4wd etc.)