Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower

/ Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower #11  
A number of the members on the forum have blowers larger than what
their mules can power, they simply clear snow at slower pace in reverse
The idea is simply that you may have a smaller tractor but a wider
snow caster will clear the lanes at a slightly slower speed with no difficulty
as the entire cross auger is used against the snowpack and the gear reduction
on the snow casters cross auger and impeller operates with no difficulty.

I get that it can be done, but you have to drive slower. You don't actually clear snow any faster. The HP at the impeller is your limiting factor.

Why pay for more if you don't get more?

/ Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower #12  
I get that it can be done, but you have to drive slower. You don't actually clear snow any faster. The HP at the impeller is your limiting factor.

Why pay for more if you don't get more?

Yes the horse power at the PTO is the limiting factor but it is nothing more
than an algebra problem or hypothesis with an excellent result being the wider cut.

The added bonus is if you up grade you do not have to purchase a wider snow caster for a new mule.

The members that have the wider snow 2 stage casters obviously do not mind backing
in reverse slower as it gets the job done with a wider cut.

Its an opportunity cost issue you give something up to obtain something else a bit more
cutting width for a bit more money.

MY deere dealer told me I was making a mistake buying a 2 stage 44 inch snow caster
for my 19.5 HP LA115 and I explained to him that in my youth I had an orginal 12 HP IHC Cub cadet that had a
single stage snow caster that went through anything with just chains so I wanted it anyway.

This year I loaded the rears on it and I am glad I did as it has plenty of traction now. I ordered pnuematic casters
for it due to the fac that the snow caster sags to the left and catches on the ground because the impeller housing is not centered.
This affects the field of view because the lights are blocked by the chute and spout and snow build up and I will be installing the casters,
the work light(s) and slick sheet material in the snow clearer for next year.

/ Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower #13  
I have a 4110 JD with a 59" blower. Great combination. Made the mounts and hook up for the PTO in one afternoon. Haven't experienced a four foot tall drift but snow storms of 6-12" it will take the full width without a problem. The four wheel drive is a game saver on a steep inclined drive.

/ Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower #14  
I have the JD 54" blower on my 1026R and it works very good. I have a gravel driveway, the plastic impeller has held up just fine . The 54" blower may be a bit small for the 2720.

/ Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower #15  
Could use some advice, have a 855, with #52 FEL wondering if I should look for a front mounted snow blower, or rear? Also, been using my yardman 13 hp walk behind for years, now both drive chains in transmission are skipping over sprockets. While reading craigslist tonite saw a Mckee 520 snowblower for sale....
Driveway is 70' x 55' , blow snow out from garage to front of driveway then blow into front yard, a lot of extra work, I'm being neighborly by not throwing it on her property. So I have a problem, which unit to buy or fix or both? I love my yardman, just disappointed mtd wants $700 for replacement chains and sprockets...that's half the cost of a new blower, no way!
The McKee is a tempting purchase, 5' wide. Will I have enough power to run that 5' blower with my 855? Trip to Grainger for the walk behind, but I can't get the McKee out of my mind....as long as we're talking secrets, I have a plan to fix tranny, larger pulley for impeller off the engine, and install a V-Twin briggs 23hp electric start as a secret project, a project my wife wouldn't be in the loop about..

/ Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower #16  
After using a farm king without problem for a number of years, I purchased a front mount for the 2320. Wow what great blower that is. It's nice than my farm king for a few reasons. hydraulic rotator opposed to hand crank. the only real annoyance with he front mount is the lack of the fel. The fel is nice to touch corner or hard to reach spots for snow clearing, but I mostly miss it for a extra push when you travel a little to deep at the ditch edge or venture off the driveway. I don't like getting stuck.

/ Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower #17  
i have a 54" front mount on a x748 & it's a very good blower. I did however have a steel impeller installed & it does improve the distance it throws the snow. The next size up blower might be a better choice for you.

/ Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower
i have a 54" front mount on a x748 & it's a very good blower. I did however have a steel impeller installed & it does improve the distance it throws the snow. The next size up blower might be a better choice for you.

been looking for used even a 59 inch nothing yet unless I want to drive 1000 miles might have to buy new next fall

/ Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower #19  
been looking for used even a 59 inch nothing yet unless I want to drive 1000 miles might have to buy new next fall

when i look down the shoot on my 54" blower the opening into the drum looks small. I think this is somewhat restricting the amount of snow i can blow compared to my previous blower. It would be interestimg to compare this opening to the 59" blower.

/ Looking to get a 54 inch John Deere snow blower #20  
hello there jgayman, I'm supposed to be painting the bathroom right now, but stole some time to look at past posts Noticed in this particular thread you talked about your MTD 13hp snowblower,
I have the same unit but in the Yardman badge. Like to know are you having any issues with the drive chains? Mine are jumping over the sprockets, well I think they are, havent taken off under cover and tryed to drive unit while watching. Driving into snow, unit clunk, clunks, like chains are jumping like crazy and getting worse everytime I use it. I hate to say it, but its
been a pretty good machine over its whole life. Tryed to buy the service manual from MTD but they dont have one for this old of a machine. Once I tear it down and see what I'm dealing with I'll probably go to Grainger for rebuild parts..

Last edited: