Looks like I need to get some rear wheel weights

/ Looks like I need to get some rear wheel weights #21  
I can't figure out why the guy didn't drop the blade?

Yes good question when panic sets in though people stop thinking clearly. Like in a non ABS Car when people lock up the tires and can't steer, even though they know they are supposed to pump the brake the fail too because they are more concerned with hitting the object they are sliding straight for. If its not second nature you won't do it in in a panic situation.

/ Looks like I need to get some rear wheel weights #22  
Forget the wheel weights. I have loaded tires and a BH90 backhoe on my L3130 with R-4 tires. It is useless on my paved driveway where there is a reasonably steep hill.

/ Looks like I need to get some rear wheel weights #23  
Chains are the way to go with snow and ice.

Also, if FEL is on the front and no extra 3pth ballast, the rears will have no traction on a slick surface.

/ Looks like I need to get some rear wheel weights #24  
Yes good question when panic sets in though people stop thinking clearly. Like in a non ABS Car when people lock up the tires and can't steer, even though they know they are supposed to pump the brake the fail too because they are more concerned with hitting the object they are sliding straight for. If its not second nature you won't do it in in a panic situation.

Funny story about a similar situation. I was running a road grader removing snow from frozen rural gravel roads. Middle of the night. Going 20mph. Had the left end of the blade forward, rolling the snow to the right shoulder. Came to a 90 degree right turn. Inadvertantly had the diff lock ON. Started to turn the corner and the front tires simply slid, turned the wheel more, nothing but sliding front tires. Jammed the blade down to stop the grader. Picked up the front tires and acted like a sled runner and straight off the curve I went, down over a 20ft bank, thru some small brushy trees and stopped in a farm field. I went a lot slower around curves the rest of that night!!! :laughing:

/ Looks like I need to get some rear wheel weights #25  
If you still decide after reading this to buy cast weight, here is a good place. cheaper (per pound) and free shipping depending on where you live and how much weight you buy.
Lonestar Weights & Castings
The LS301 will fit your tractor.
I just bought 1284 pounds. (for 2 L5740's)

/ Looks like I need to get some rear wheel weights #26  
Funny story about a similar situation. I was running a road grader removing snow from frozen rural gravel roads. Middle of the night. Going 20mph. Had the left end of the blade forward, rolling the snow to the right shoulder. Came to a 90 degree right turn. Inadvertantly had the diff lock ON. Started to turn the corner and the front tires simply slid, turned the wheel more, nothing but sliding front tires. Jammed the blade down to stop the grader. Picked up the front tires and acted like a sled runner and straight off the curve I went, down over a 20ft bank, thru some small brushy trees and stopped in a farm field. I went a lot slower around curves the rest of that night!!! :laughing:

LOL did you have to air the cab out and ditch your underwear after that :shocked: Lucky you did'nt roll the thing. I can definetly picture the angled blade turning into a ice skate edge pushing you straight off the road.

/ Looks like I need to get some rear wheel weights #27  
I live in northern MD near PA and the snow we get is usually very wet & quickly turns icy. My lane is on a gradual hill then the last section of driveway is pretty steep. I recently ordered chains from "tirechains.com" and had only put the rear chains on. (even tho i ordered them for front too) About half way thru the plowing I realized that I didn't even have the 4WD engaged! It was doing pretty good despite. The company i bought the chains thru was pretty good. Web site was easy to select the right sizes, prices were good, and they shipped very quick.
I was also a little worried that maybe the chains would mess up the pavement, but was really happy that there was no issue at all. But i was taking it slow and being careful not to spin.
Now i just need some more snow!

/ Looks like I need to get some rear wheel weights #28  
I would definitely get some chains.

/ Looks like I need to get some rear wheel weights
Did you go with standard ladder chains or the duo grip? Looking at them it looks like the duo grip would offer much better traction.

/ Looks like I need to get some rear wheel weights #30  
Did you go with standard ladder chains or the duo grip? Looking at them it looks like the duo grip would offer much better traction.

I know for R1 tires you need the duo grip ladder chains will fall between the lugs not sure about R4s. Duo grips can be harder on paved surfaces just minimize wheel spin and you'll be okay

Dave