Looks like I need to get some rear wheel weights

/ Looks like I need to get some rear wheel weights
I know for R1 tires you need the duo grip ladder chains will fall between the lugs not sure about R4s. Duo grips can be harder on paved surfaces just minimize wheel spin and you'll be okay

Dave

Thats kinda what i was thinking. I have R1's and i cant see stadard chains workig too well since the lugs are taller than what the chains would be.

/ Looks like I need to get some rear wheel weights #32  
Did you go with standard ladder chains or the duo grip? Looking at them it looks like the duo grip would offer much better traction.

I went with standard ladder chains. I thought about the 'v-bar' and the '2-link ladder' but decided to save a buck and got standard 4 link ladder. The 2 link ladder would have been nice, but these work fine. In a severe ice storm however I would be telling a different story.

do you have R1 tires, do the chains settle between the tire lugs?

/ Looks like I need to get some rear wheel weights #34  
If you have R1's half of the cross link will lay in the lugs, it is not quite as bad on a R4.

/ Looks like I need to get some rear wheel weights #35  
No. I have R4 tires. Chains seem fine. I could take a few pictures if you want.

If you would, a few pictures would be great.

/ Looks like I need to get some rear wheel weights #37  
If you would, a few pictures would be great.

Sure no problem. _KMH4229.JPG_KMH4233.JPG

thats exactly what i was looking for, thanks for the pictures.

/ Looks like I need to get some rear wheel weights #39  
After spending some time plowing the driveway the last week i think i am going to get some rear wheel weights. My driveway is fairly long at approximately 1000' and has a fairly steep section. The tractor struggles to make it up this steep section in the snow, about 6 - 10", i have to lock the rear end and it spins and claws its way to the top. I haven't had traction issues doing any other work yet but in the snow the R-1's just are biting in good. The rear tires are not filled as i use is to mow my grass also and try to keep the weight down. I guess my plan will be to add as many rear wheel weights as i can for winter and then take them off when snow plowing is over.
I've plowed snow with different tractors with and without chains with and without weights or loaded tires for decades. Farm tractors are not designed for operation in snow and weights will provide only marginal iimprovement. If you plan to plow anything more than nuisance snow with your tractor you will need tire chains, preferrably F & R.

SDT

/ Looks like I need to get some rear wheel weights #40  
If you don't have pavement or cement and you don't mind spending extra for premium chains you can get some Aquiline Talon chains. They work with any type of tire. Here's a pic from another member, Whistlepig. I don't use the springs to hold them tight.
196319d1295659054-aquiline-talon-chains-2wd-tractor-dscf1415.jpg