Lost all the coolant today

/ Lost all the coolant today #41  
Just the FEL at this point. Still working on getting a box blade. Used the "float" quite a bit with the bucket. Works ok, but I need a box blade for sure.

So are you backdragging?

/ Lost all the coolant today
So are you backdragging?

Yes. I tried to drop it from the bucket as evenly as I could either moving forward or backward. Then back dragged the bucket over it to spread it.
Worked alright. It looks fine, but is a bit lumpy. Ha

/ Lost all the coolant today #43  
Yes. I tried to drop it from the bucket as evenly as I could either moving forward or backward. Then back dragged the bucket over it to spread it.
Worked alright. It looks fine, but is a bit lumpy. Ha

Let me give you a couple of pointers, (worth exactly what you paid for them:) )

You can angle the lip of the bucket down to be more aggressive and roll up a little pile of gravel to spread and then pull the stick back towards your leg when you wish to feather out that little working pile. As you go backwards the little pile on the bucket edge will fall into the low places and it will scrape off the tops of the high places, you determine how aggressive this action is. I have found it is best to go backwards at a fairly fast pace. I use Med range most of the time. One must be careful not to have too much angle even to start with or you will move too much materiel in the travel direction. I often swap directions to prevent an overall loss of material from the starting point. When I have it looking pretty good, I go over it with the bucket almost level to move very little material, swapping directions repeatedly. I have been able to achieve very good results doing this. I don't think it is as fast as a box blade, but I believe the results are as good.

Let me give you a couple of pointers, (worth exactly what you paid for them:) ) You can angle the lip of the bucket down to be more aggressive and roll up a little pile of gravel to spread and then pull the stick back towards your leg when you wish to feather out that little working pile. As you go backwards the little pile on the bucket edge will fall into the low places and it will scrape off the tops of the high places, you determine how aggressive this action is. I have found it is best to go backwards at a fairly fast pace. I use Med range most of the time. One must be careful not to have too much angle even to start with or you will move too much materiel in the travel direction. I often swap directions to prevent an overall loss of material from the starting point. When I have it looking pretty good, I go over it with the bucket almost level to move very little material, swapping directions repeatedly. I have been able to achieve very good results doing this. I don't think it is as fast as a box blade, but I believe the results are as good.
Thanks for the tips. I was bringing back some little piles, as you describe, but I had the bucket in the float position most of the time. Either with a pretty sharp angle, or fairly flat. Having just messed up one of the cylinders on the loader, I kept thinking if I'm not in float, I'll break something again. I was doing better towards the end. Maybe a little progress on the learning curve. I'll try it without being in the float mode and see if that helps.
Thanks again.

/ Lost all the coolant today #45  
Thanks for the tips. I was bringing back some little piles, as you describe, but I had the bucket in the float position most of the time. Either with a pretty sharp angle, or fairly flat. Having just messed up one of the cylinders on the loader, I kept thinking if I'm not in float, I'll break something again. I was doing better towards the end. Maybe a little progress on the learning curve. I'll try it without being in the float mode and see if that helps.
Thanks again.

Well I meant doing all of that in float, and please don't put a severe angle on the bucket either. about 15 degrees or less, usually less. I will point out I have been doing this for over 20 years and haven't broken anything yet. You will not have good results if you are not in float, you will gouge part of the time and miss the ground part of the time.

/ Lost all the coolant today #46  
What do you suspect was the culprit of damaging the cylinder?

Well I meant doing all of that in float, and please don't put a severe angle on the bucket either. about 15 degrees or less, usually less. I will point out I have been doing this for over 20 years and haven't broken anything yet. You will not have good results if you are not in float, you will gouge part of the time and miss the ground part of the time.
Ok, I think I get it. The only confusing point for me know is, "pulling the stick towards me to feather the pile." I thought you couldn't touch the controls when in float.
I don't think I'll be breaking anything else again,, soon. (Famous last words, ha)
Thanks again.

What do you suspect was the culprit of damaging the cylinder?
Trying to lift when I've got the bucket where it absolutely can't come up. Like against a stump, or with too big of a load. Some of the trees I've been taking down are pretty big.
Got to slow down, take my time, enjoy it.

/ Lost all the coolant today #50  
Ok, I think I get it. The only confusing point for me know is, "pulling the stick towards me to feather the pile." I thought you couldn't touch the controls when in float.
I don't think I'll be breaking anything else again,, soon. (Famous last words, ha)
Thanks again.

When in float you cant raise or lower the lift, but the curl/dump is fully operational. You keep you hand on the stick and adjust the bucket angle in small increments to be more aggressive in your scrape or "feather" it out so it is smooth. Think of it exactly as spreading butter on a piece of toast. It takes some skill and time to learn how to feather out and make it all smooth, but you will get it. Just practice.