Low profile (pierced beam) or standard ??????? opinions wanted

/ Low profile (pierced beam) or standard ??????? opinions wanted #21  
I agree. I had a deck over 25+5 with dual 12K axles and fold flat ramps. What a pain in the butt it was. I now have a low boy that is only 14" off the ground. No way I would ever go back to a deck over or dual tandems. I would rather have 5 single axles than a set of dual tandems.

Chris

/ Low profile (pierced beam) or standard ??????? opinions wanted #22  
I agree. I had a deck over 25+5 with dual 12K axles and fold flat ramps. What a pain in the butt it was. I now have a low boy that is only 14" off the ground. No way I would ever go back to a deck over or dual tandems. I would rather have 5 single axles than a set of dual tandems.

Chris

Remember me? I agree...... I wish I never bought my deckover.

/ Low profile (pierced beam) or standard ??????? opinions wanted #23  
IF you like drive over fenders.... i personally don't.. but that's me..

It was a compromise for me vs a flat deck trailer. I sold my 40' G/N and needed a new trailer to replace my bumper pull. By going with a trailer with the drive over fenders I was able to have a trailer low profile enough to set my cattle insert on and haul cattle, haul my tractor/equipment on, haul round bales 2 wide on. Its tall enough to where I dont drag bottom going into pastures through a "ditch" so to speak, but at 20' it does not have as much over hang in the back as 27-30' would.Biggest problem I have ran into on the drive over fenders is loading a 4020 when its wet or muddy,keeping the front tires from slipping side to side(off) when going over the fenders. removable rail is going to fix that. So far it has worked as an "all in one" trailer, which was my goal.

/ Low profile (pierced beam) or standard ??????? opinions wanted #24  
Diamondpilot, what do you normally haul? Rolling equipment? I only ask as I find the fenders always in the way with low boys but I'm usually side loading equipment or pallets. Even just loading hay you lose a lot of capacity with narrow low boys. Also, what was your problem with the dual tandems? Most people really like them after a tridem singles. I've been tempted to look at tandem singles with 17.5's if I ever replaced my axles. I've seen a few around town that seem stout with solid disc wheels.

Chris

/ Low profile (pierced beam) or standard ??????? opinions wanted #25  
Diamondpilot, what do you normally haul? Rolling equipment? I only ask as I find the fenders always in the way with low boys but I'm usually side loading equipment or pallets. Even just loading hay you lose a lot of capacity with narrow low boys. Also, what was your problem with the dual tandems? Most people really like them after a tridem singles. I've been tempted to look at tandem singles with 17.5's if I ever replaced my axles. I've seen a few around town that seem stout with solid disc wheels.

I just dont care for Dually trucks and I guess it carries over to trailers. I had a Dually GMC in the late 90's and it was the second worst vehicle in mud and snow I have ever driven. First being my F-150 Lightning but it was never really meant for that stuff. Yes, the Dually GMC was a 4x4 and it had a Boss V Plow on it.

My issue with my dually trailer was maintenance issues. Tough to work on. Finding tires on a Saturday when a blow out occurs in the middle of no where, ect. Heck, with my tri axle 18,000# trailer I once made it home 400 miles on a Sunday running 3 car tires after a rash of brand new Carlisle's loosing the tread just north of Knoxville TN. Try doing that with 17.5" wheels on a Sunday.

What do I haul??? Here is what has been on it in the last 3 weeks or so. A 40 HP tractor with FEL, a Chevy Cobalt (broken timing belt), a Chrysler PT Cruiser (broken timing belt), a ZTR, 5 Round Bales, 3 Pallets of Mulch in bags, 4 Rick's of Fire Wood, Furniture, a College Kids Dorm Stuff, Lumber, A City Truck Snow Plow 12'x4' monster, and probably a few other items.

The two cars with broken timing belts were for a friend who buys them off CL with issues and flips them.

Chris

Last edited:
   / Low profile (pierced beam) or standard ??????? opinions wanted #26  
At my previous employer the most popular type of equipment trailer was a dual tandem on 195/65R16 wheels that are also used under light commercial vehicles like the Mercedes Sprinter that were used to tow these 5th wheels. It gave the lowest possible deck height and therefor the shortest ramps for a given ramp angle. They were mostly built to the max legally allowed with of 2.55 meter (8' 4") so putting wheels beside the deck wasnt an option. with air suspension (constant ride height so you need less total spring travel) we could get 8 ton of axle capacity under a 70cm (27") deck height.
On a deck-over, i prefer the lowest deck height i can get. I will change my 2.5 ton tandem also, to make it 4 inches lower on 195/50R13 tires instead of the 185R14 it is on now. high CoG loads ride much more stable and you get less wind drag, and i get a better ramp angle.