LS XR4145 blown head gasket at 610 hours?

/ LS XR4145 blown head gasket at 610 hours? #11  
I found out today that the engine has very low compression in cylinder 3 (most likely a bent rod) They told me it is cheaper to replace the motor than to rebuild it but LS wants 15K for a new motor. How can that be, thats more than replacing a motor in a newer diesel pickup. Has anyone had to replace or rebuild one of these. What was the cost?
Not really at today's prices. Better check that again.

/ LS XR4145 blown head gasket at 610 hours? #12  
I found out today that the engine has very low compression in cylinder 3 (most likely a bent rod) They told me it is cheaper to replace the motor than to rebuild it but LS wants 15K for a new motor. How can that be, thats more than replacing a motor in a newer diesel pickup. Has anyone had to replace or rebuild one of these. What was the cost?

That is a bummer. I disagree on it necessarily being cheaper to put a new engine in. The old one would still need to be dismantled and removed.

Maybe you just damaged a piston, broke rings and or a bent rod, any of which a partial hydrolock can cause.

I would have them pull the head and see where you are really at. Might just need a few damaged parts replaced, maybe the head crank and block are still OK although Now that blown off crankcase cap is making more sense. Compression/combustion pressure is making it into the lower crankcase.

This is what sucks about these EPA requirements on newer diesels. The stupid EGR coolers (which I also forgot about) They have killed some Ecodiesels and Powerstrokes as well. If a leaky EGR cooler killed the engine does the EPA warranty cover this?

Again I feel bad for you and hope for some light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited:
   / LS XR4145 blown head gasket at 610 hours? #13  
Oh man, I feel so sorry for you man. I'm glad my TYM has a dumb simple mechanical IDI engine in it. I'm IT guy and I hate computers on equipment. Hope you be able to get parts and refurbish your current engine. That's too new to have serious problems like that?

/ LS XR4145 blown head gasket at 610 hours? #14  
This is the main reason I went with TYM. None of this bullshit on the motor. That's hard to swallow, $15k...? I'd find it hard to justify that and not just buy a nice pre tier 4

/ LS XR4145 blown head gasket at 610 hours? #15  
   / LS XR4145 blown head gasket at 610 hours? #16  
This is the main reason I went with TYM. None of this bullshit on the motor. That's hard to swallow, $15k...? I'd find it hard to justify that and not just buy a nice pre tier 4
Therein lies the problem. Any owner with a Pre 4 tractor is gonna want top buck for it no matter what and most owners (myself included) have no desire to sell off any of them anyway unless they have some serious issues that will need addressed. Both my pre 4 Kubota's are actually worth more than they cost new today and I can thank the EPA for that.

/ LS XR4145 blown head gasket at 610 hours? #17  
They are still less than a tier 4... I've been shopping 45-55hp tractors regularly for two years and never seen a pre tier 4 selling for more than the NEW model... ever.
I'm happy to be corrected, I've just never seen that. Hell he could buy a mechanical injected tier 4 and still have a pre tier 4 unit new if he wanted to. Not all tier 4 units are tied to the ECM. His LS is... And Kioti. And Kubota. And basically everyone besides TYM.

Last edited:
   / LS XR4145 blown head gasket at 610 hours? #18  
6 year powertrain warranty would cover internal engine parts. 5 year emissions warranty would cover EGR cooler if that's what caused it. If you're past those and you have to pay for it, it should still be cheaper to repair the engine than replace it.

/ LS XR4145 blown head gasket at 610 hours?
I may have found some good luck. Waiting on a call back from the dealer now. The paper work he has shows i have a 6 year warranty. I was under the impression i had a 5 year warranty. If it is a 6 year warranty I have 2 weeks of warranty left.