LS XR4145 blown head gasket at 610 hours?

/ LS XR4145 blown head gasket at 610 hours? #21  
oof.
I looked up a new complete LS engine, and yeah, that $15k quote is pretty spot on. I found one for $17,343.58! Thats a complete engine. And thats JUST the engine. Labor is probably not calculated into that. Keeping that in mind, labor cost of replacing a rod and piston, and figuring out why it bent, might be higher! Swapping out an engine might take less time than tearing one down, which they will likely pull out of the tractor anyway.

Either way, if they cover it under warranty, WHOOHOO!! If not, this is not a cheap repair. I don't wish this on anyone, covered or not.

Gotta love all the talk about TYM engines and pre tier 4 vs ECU controlled emissions blah blah blah on here. Drives me nuts, its not helpful. And this issue the OP has is not indicative of LS or their engines. This is a fluke and I hope LS will honor the warranty and get this gent up and running as soon as possible. Lets not make this about what engine, tractor brand, or color is superior.

/ LS XR4145 blown head gasket at 610 hours? #22  
I may have found some good luck. Waiting on a call back from the dealer now. The paper work he has shows i have a 6 year warranty. I was under the impression i had a 5 year warranty. If it is a 6 year warranty I have 2 weeks of warranty left.
Did you get a call back?

/ LS XR4145 blown head gasket at 610 hours? #23  
oof.
I looked up a new complete LS engine, and yeah, that $15k quote is pretty spot on. I found one for $17,343.58! Thats a complete engine. And thats JUST the engine. Labor is probably not calculated into that. Keeping that in mind, labor cost of replacing a rod and piston, and figuring out why it bent, might be higher! Swapping out an engine might take less time than tearing one down, which they will likely pull out of the tractor anyway.

Either way, if they cover it under warranty, WHOOHOO!! If not, this is not a cheap repair. I don't wish this on anyone, covered or not.

Gotta love all the talk about TYM engines and pre tier 4 vs ECU controlled emissions blah blah blah on here. Drives me nuts, its not helpful. And this issue the OP has is not indicative of LS or their engines. This is a fluke and I hope LS will honor the warranty and get this gent up and running as soon as possible. Lets not make this about what engine, tractor brand, or color is superior.
I just talked to TYM Dealer today and told me that every manufacturer that sells in the US has to have tier four emissions from 26HP and up, so I would like to know this stuff comes from?

/ LS XR4145 blown head gasket at 610 hours? #24  
I just talked to TYM Dealer today and told me that every manufacturer that sells in the US has to have tier four emissions from 26HP and up, so I would like to know this stuff comes from?
Yes, but one manufacturer doesn’t have the engine and DPF tied to the ECM. If the TYM DPF goes into fault, the computer won’t limp the engine. You could take the whole DPF off, and it won’t limp the engine. On any other tier 4 DPF engine, the ECM will make the tractor unusable until the DPF is fixed, and it must be in place. No DPF injectors, burners or EGR… it’s the simplest tier 4 engine on the market. The Kukje diesel is the only mechanically injected diesel left as I understand. No fancy electronics or sensors, just reliable mechanical injection.

/ LS XR4145 blown head gasket at 610 hours? #26  
Looking the powertrain warranty limitations… seems anything external to the block, axles or transmission case is not covered.
That said, LS could do him a solid and cover it. If it is EGR, wouldn’t that be emissions? What is the emissions warranty? I could honestly see it go either way, depending on the disposition of LS.
Powertrain for most manufacturers is pretty limited to very durable, non external parts.

/ LS XR4145 blown head gasket at 610 hours? #28  
Well, it will either be covered or not. I hope he hears back soon.

Last edited:
   / LS XR4145 blown head gasket at 610 hours? #30  
Hmmmm, leaky EGR.....

How does one check if the EGR is leaking?