Lubricating the tie-rod ends.

/ Lubricating the tie-rod ends. #1  

Rail Dawg

Silver Member
OK I've this Kubota L3800 for 10 hours and thought I would put some grease into the front tie-rod grease fittings.

I pumped maybe 10 times but I couldn't see any indication that there was enough grease in there. I know the grease gun works.

Do you guys simply pump a certain amount of times and that's it or is there a different way to know you've put in enough?

/ Lubricating the tie-rod ends. #2  
I wasn't even aware the L 3800 had grease fittings on the tie rods... I don't think my L3400 does, I'll have to look tonight.

My usual rule of thumb is 3 pumps of grease on suspension and steering parts, or less if I can see it oozing out before I get to three.

Sean

/ Lubricating the tie-rod ends. #3  
Like Chilly 807 , just a few pumps , if you see some coming out , or better yet , see the rubber boots expanding quit . I would rather give a little grease more frequent , than to give a lot and have grease all over everything .

/ Lubricating the tie-rod ends. #4  
According to the owner's manual pump grease till it overflows (page 48).

I know mine took more grease the first time but after that only 2 or 3 pumps gets it to overflow.

Since we're talking about lube..... On the 4WD steer axle rear support you won't get any grease overflow. I have no idea where it goes. The first time I must have pumped 15 times and then decided I better stop. I put 3 or 4 pumps in that fitting now. Maybe it gets pushed out and lays in the drive shaft shield. :confused2:

Mac

/ Lubricating the tie-rod ends.
According to the owner's manual pump grease till it overflows (page 48).

I know mine took more grease the first time but after that only 2 or 3 pumps gets it to overflow.

Since we're talking about lube..... On the 4WD steer axle rear support you won't get any grease overflow. I have no idea where it goes. The first time I must have pumped 15 times and then decided I better stop. I put 3 or 4 pumps in that fitting now. Maybe it gets pushed out and lays in the drive shaft shield. :confused2:

Mac

I put in 15 pumps on that fitting last night. Not sure where it ended up either...

/ Lubricating the tie-rod ends. #6  
I put in 15 pumps on that fitting last night. Not sure where it ended up either...

15 pumps..yeiks. wheres it aqll going????

when using the gun on other zerks..like on the bucket, does it overflow there????

15 pumps..yeiks. wheres it aqll going????

when using the gun on other zerks..like on the bucket, does it overflow there????

It's a brand-new machine and on every loader zerk within about 3 pumps it's oozing out the sides.

/ Lubricating the tie-rod ends. #8  
It's a brand-new machine and on every loader Zerk within about 3 pumps it's oozing out the sides.

hmm, so its definitely not the grease gun. that sure is odd. its like the tie rod was hollow? very odd. My tie rod zerks ooze out after like 2 strokes.

/ Lubricating the tie-rod ends. #9  
I dont remember any zerks on the tie rod ends of the L3400. Now I need to look again too. On the front pivot, you are supposed to take off the little breather bolt, and pump till it starts to ooze. and put the bolt back in. and on the rear pivot, give it 3 or 4 and stop. The excess goes into the axle as far as I know.

James K0UA

hmm, so its definitely not the grease gun. that sure is odd. its like the tie rod was hollow? very odd. My tie rod zerks ooze out after like 2 strokes.

Where does it ooze out when pumping grease into the tie-rod zerks? There's something on the rubber boot that looks like a nipple. Does that have a hole in it and that's where it comes out?