Lubricating the tie-rod ends.

/ Lubricating the tie-rod ends. #12  
According to the owner's manual pump grease till it overflows (page 48).

I know mine took more grease the first time but after that only 2 or 3 pumps gets it to overflow.

Since we're talking about lube..... On the 4WD steer axle rear support you won't get any grease overflow. I have no idea where it goes. The first time I must have pumped 15 times and then decided I better stop. I put 3 or 4 pumps in that fitting now. Maybe it gets pushed out and lays in the drive shaft shield. :confused2:

Mac
Another post said it goes past the seal and into the transmission and hydraulic oil.So don't get carried away.

/ Lubricating the tie-rod ends. #13  
Another post said it goes past the seal and into the transmission and hydraulic oil.So don't get carried away.

i dont see how thatr could happen. The transmission and engine arnt accessed thru a tie rod.

/ Lubricating the tie-rod ends. #14  
Did you read the whole quote? Rearmost front axle pivot. Front driveshaft goes right thru it.

/ Lubricating the tie-rod ends. #16  
but they dont actually intermix. its thru a shaft. as far as i can tell.

As I understand it the seal around the shaft is designed to keep the oil in the transmission. Apparrently if you pump a lot of grease in it will force itself past the seal around the shaft into the transmission. The moral of the story is pump 3 or 4 shots in and quit. If anyone knows more about this please chime in.:thumbsup:

/ Lubricating the tie-rod ends. #17  
You're supposed to remove the tapered 1/8 " pipe plug before greasing the axle pivot. If you don't, you won't get any grease in one of the fittings.

I don't remember if grease comes out the hole when greasing both nipples or only one. If it doesn't come out, it's going somewhere, obviously.

Sean

/ Lubricating the tie-rod ends. #18  
You're supposed to remove the tapered 1/8 " pipe plug before greasing the axle pivot. If you don't, you won't get any grease in one of the fittings.

Sean

On my MX5100, it has the grease/bolt that you're talking about...but there is another grease fitting that the owners' manual does not mention. A mystery fitting.:confused3:

/ Lubricating the tie-rod ends. #19  
Page 48 in the L3800 Operator's Manual states there are two grease fittings for the 4WD front axle support. The front fitting has the plug that needs to be removed.

The manual says to apply grease to both fittings until it overflows. No overflow occurs on the rear fitting. Grease goes in but never comes out. I suspect it goes into the tube covering the drive shaft or it gets sucked up by the grease gremlins. :licking: :licking: :licking:

Mac

/ Lubricating the tie-rod ends. #20  
I need to replace with grease fitting on the front 4WD Axle, do you know what size? I bought two from tractor supply that looked right but they wouldn't screw in. Any exact specs?