LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged

/ LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged #12  
You don't have to take the deck off to check things out. Yes it's easier but just wiggle every pulley and check the spindles. You will be able to tell if a spindle is broke or bearings are out. If the smaller idler or tensioner pulleys wiggle just a little bit their ok. If you change them the new ones will move around a little bit.

/ LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged #13  
Also 210 hrs is just broke in, if you take good care out it, it should last 1500 to 2000 hrs on the motor and the deck may need rebuilt a little sooner.

/ LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged
Also 210 hrs is just broke in, if you take good care out it, it should last 1500 to 2000 hrs on the motor and the deck may need rebuilt a little sooner.

That is what I thought!

David

I dropped the deck this morning. Wow! It looks beat!

One of the rear brackets is cracked (see pic 2) and the exit opening is broken (pic 2).

The belts don't look great, so I'm hoping that is the problem.

The PTO with no deck attached is silent and spins great.

So far the spindles do not wobble, I need to remove the cover for the last, but I do not think that is it.

I cannot find any shiny spots inside and the blades manually do not hit anything that I can see.

So... Unless it is just loose/worn belts I am at a total loss for why it is making so much noise.

I paid to have it serviced 21 hours ago, and clearly they did not drop the deck and I suspect they did not lube the spindles.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

David

PS - If I must replace it, can I BUY a bigger mower deck for this mower?

Attachments

• 2012-05-25 12.11.46.jpg
    2012-05-25 12.11.46.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 398
  • 2012-05-25 12.11.35.jpg
    2012-05-25 12.11.35.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 317
  • 2012-05-25 12.11.58.jpg
    2012-05-25 12.11.58.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 276
   / LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged #16  
WOW!!
That deck has been through **** and back.
Where has it been, and what has it been through?
Sorry, but it is not a tank.

Shocked that 210 hours can lead to that much torture.

Now to get you some help.
I'd take it to a good welder and ask if he/she would weld it back into some semblence of wholeness.
There isn't an issue of timing, as there is offset in the blades so they cannot touch. But I'd suspect something has bent the deck and/or the spindles that the blades are not running in the same plane.
While off, rotate a blade around to see if the tips pass each other in the same plane. Do it for each combination of the 4 tips. Hope that it may just be a bent blade such that replacement blades will fix the problem.

/ LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged #17  
Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

David

I'd clean it(top/bottom). Pull that cover off see what it looks like underneath.
Fill grease fittings put on new belt/blades . Weld or brace that grass chute bar.
Oil good and give it a whirl. I suspect when you slap it all together it will be fine. Check to make sure blades have to be set correct or same way. ;)
Store indoors if you don't already.

Hide keys maybe that fox has been taken it for joyrides ! :D

Wishing You and Family The Best !

Boone

WOW!!
That deck has been through **** and back.
Where has it been, and what has it been through?
Sorry, but it is not a tank.

Shocked that 210 hours can lead to that much torture.

Now to get you some help.
I'd take it to a good welder and ask if he/she would weld it back into some semblence of wholeness.
There isn't an issue of timing, as there is offset in the blades so they cannot touch. But I'd suspect something has bent the deck and/or the spindles that the blades are not running in the same plane.
While off, rotate a blade around to see if the tips pass each other in the same plane. Do it for each combination of the 4 tips. Hope that it may just be a bent blade such that replacement blades will fix the problem.

I am just as shocked as you. I bought this mower in 2005 or 2006 when we bought a little houseon 2 acres the owner sold us the JD and all the furniture dishes etc as a side deal. He said he had bought it new when he bought the house (approx 2 years before). Now I suspect he bought it used, or at least the deck was used...

It has been stored in a shed or at least under a cover the whole time I've owned it. I have regularly serviced it, and it was just in a local "small engine repair" place 22 hours ago!

I bought a dump trailer from TSC and set it up so my 13 year old can drive herself and the horse feed up to the pasture, saving my wife and my truck from the job about a month ago, and even that has only logged 6 hours on it. We mowed for the first time this year weekend before last, and my 13 yeasr old has been the primary driver of that tractor for over a year now, I only get to use it on the slopes I won't let her mow.

I cannot imagine how it got so beat. It looked like it was crooked on the tractor, that is one of the reasons I dropped it out this morning.

I was not planning on buying a new deck!

David

I'd clean it(top/bottom). Pull that cover off see what it looks like underneath.
Fill grease fittings put on new belt/blades . Weld or brace that grass chute bar.
Oil good and give it a whirl. I suspect when you slap it all together it will be fine. Check to make sure blades have to be set correct or same way. ;)
Store indoors if you don't already.

Hide keys maybe that fox has been taken it for joyrides ! :D

Wishing You and Family The Best !

Boone

Boone,

Dear Lord I hope you are right! I wish I knew a welder... I am going to try your plan and hope and Pray it works...

I was shocked when I saw the cracks in the deck...

David

/ LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged #20  
That deck is in need of some welding and if feel like a bit of a drive just bring it over. It really is not that bad. Probably just needs spindle bearings and seals.

It does not look to me like a timing belt type mower. I looks like it only has 2 blades or is the back pulley a spindle also?

I just had to re bearing the BX1500 54" deck and mowed with it yesterday.