LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged

/ LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged
OK! Here's what I am thinking...

Can any of you JD Mower experts tell me if the LX266 can handle the larger decks? I have a 42C, there is a 48c and a 54c.

I think what I want to do is bite the bullet and BUY a new larger deck for mowing the YARD, and also take this deck and fix it as best as possible and use it for TRAIL mowing.

The deck is not that hard to remove (wish I'd known that sooner) and I will not leave it on all the time (my daughter drives the mower twice daily up to the pasture to feed the horses).

A larger deck will be a huge benefit as the actual "yard" is quite large and that will keep my from thinking about a ZTR or other $$$ mowers (although the 54c looks like it is over $800! just for the deck).

So, am I crazy? Will this work?

Thanks in advance,
David

/ LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged #22  
I'd slap it(fix)(original plan) together and try it first .If it was mine and I wanted a bigger deck I'd sell or trade it in on a larger bigger JD garden tractor(other model).

Boone

my almost bullet proof GT235 2004 400 hrs plus--shes been a kick azz winner(about $5000 new otd)

Attachments

• 0Jjdside.jpg
    0Jjdside.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 115
bullbreaker said:
I'd slap it(fix)(original plan) together and try it first .If it was mine and I wanted a bigger deck I'd sell or trade it in on a larger bigger JD garden tractor(other model).

Boone

my almost bullet proof GT235 2004 400 hrs plus--shes been a kick azz winner(about $5000 new otd)

Boone,

If I had funds that would work.

I think I can scrounge up enough for bigger deck, but not $5K...

/ LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged #24  
Fix the old one and give some driving lessons to the teenager. I wouldn't risk the investment in something new until the abuse stops. Not meaning to sound cruel or demeaning, but this deck was abused big time.
Getting into a habit of cleaning up the equipment after every use would be procedure to learn as well.
The old saying that you don't put a horse away when it is wet goes with the lawn and tractor equipment as well, IMO. ;)
Hope you take this as a positive, not negative. I think it is great that your 13 yr old is doing the chores and the lawn mowing. But there are responsibilities, otherwise don't want to see your car when she returns home with it in a few short years. :)

/ LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged #25  
I am new in town....learning much from the posts. What caught my eye is that there was mention that with the belt off the PTO it spun freely
/quietly. I am replacing belts and when I took the belt off the PTO engine pulley I spun the PTO engine pulley and I felt "friction"....I could certainly spin it but there was some resistance and a minor scraping noise....is this normal?

Thanks for any help!

I am new in town....learning much from the posts. What caught my eye is that there was mention that with the belt off the PTO it spun freely
/quietly. I am replacing belts and when I took the belt off the PTO engine pulley I spun the PTO engine pulley and I felt "friction"....I could certainly spin it but there was some resistance and a minor scraping noise....is this normal?

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to TBN!

As for the PTO, I meant ot say, It spun well with no noise when engaged. I did NOT try it manually, I have no idea how it would have behaved.

Glad you are here and posting sir!
David

Fix the old one and give some driving lessons to the teenager. I wouldn't risk the investment in something new until the abuse stops. Not meaning to sound cruel or demeaning, but this deck was abused big time.
Getting into a habit of cleaning up the equipment after every use would be procedure to learn as well.
The old saying that you don't put a horse away when it is wet goes with the lawn and tractor equipment as well, IMO. ;)
Hope you take this as a positive, not negative. I think it is great that your 13 yr old is doing the chores and the lawn mowing. But there are responsibilities, otherwise don't want to see your car when she returns home with it in a few short years. :)

Beenthere,

I take it as a positive, but she did not do all the damage... I must have done most of it somehow, I have been mowing on rough rterrain too much or something. Yes, she is messy I cannot get her to pick up her clothes/shoes to save her life, but she is not abusive. She likely did not do anything worse than she saw me do.

This was my first Lawn Tractor/Mower, and I'm thinking all the times the deck hit the ramp going into the shed out at the lake, and or loading it on my trailer, or somewhere I must have not known I was doing damage...

I am shocked and dismayed that the deck is in such bad shape, but I cannot blame her. I must blame me first...

But regardless, will the bigger decks fit? Can I run them?

Inquiring minds want to know...

David

Last edited:
   / LX266 mower making strange noises when PTO (Mower) engaged #29  
Hey david, are you sure there arent any landmines where you are:). ? All kidding aside my stepson did something similar to my old deere gx. Im sure you will get it back to normal but WOW! The scary part is that is a heavy duty deck. Be safe and good luck

Hey david, are you sure there arent any landmines where you are:). ? All kidding aside my stepson did something similar to my old deere gx. Im sure you will get it back to normal but WOW! The scary part is that is a heavy duty deck. Be safe and good luck

Bota,

I'm telling you I cannot explain this.

I feel like somehow I got a new mower with a worn out deck, NOBODY has been abusing it, the stuff I can think of is all minor...

AND I JUST had it serviced 21 hours ago!!!!

I am stumped... Alot of it is the fact it is VERY dirty due to the wet weather we had and all the driving up to feed the horses... But the broken deck... Good Grief!

Now I gotta find a welder, etc...

I like the idea of having 2 decks, one a BIG one, and this one a trail mower...

We shall see what REALLY happens.