Lynch Pins

/ Lynch Pins #11  
ouch, da bear, I've had days like that.

I actually use the cheap harbor freight lynch pins and have had no problem. While the heavy duty one just expensively failed on me. I think the key is only use lynch pins where they aren't under stress at all (digging stumps did mine in). For the future I plan to use baling wire to tie them tight at failure points, or a bolt and locking nut as mentioned above.

/ Lynch Pins #12  
daBear said:
Several post have been made about lynch pins and losing them. Some suggest substituting a bolt and lock nut. However, there is a heavy duty lynch pin which is much harder to open than the usual shiny ones we all have, use, and lose. The ones I have seen are black but are only available in 7/16th pin size. I need several sizes.

Does anyone know of a good source or website which sells the heavy duty lynch pins in various sizes?? Thanks.

Here's another idea. They make pins in the same size as most lynch pins that have a shoulder on top, and a cotter key hole in the bottom. Take a keychain split ring and use that as the cotter key... Virtually impossible for weeds and plants to pull that one off.. yet you can open it and remove it with your fingernail just a lil slower than the flip-open bail kind..

soundguy

/ Lynch Pins #13  
Willl said:
Here ya go....
$7.99 for 50 crappy pins you'll probably never lose. Heck, that's 16 cents a piece.
Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

i have that set, have been useing that set for the past 2 years ive had my tractor.

i really dont consider it that much of a load bearing device. your 3pt arms arnt really built for huge side loads. my guess, if you can side load a device hard enough to shear one of those off, your going to break something else much sooner.

/ Lynch Pins #14  
I bought a few of the HD black ones at TSC. I think they were $1.25
They have a heavier "spring" to open them but I don't think it would mean much when pushed by a limb or something similer. The shoulder one with a cotter pin sounds real nice to me.

/ Lynch Pins
Soundguy said:
Here's another idea. They make pins in the same size as most lynch pins that have a shoulder on top, and a cotter key hole in the bottom. Take a keychain split ring and use that as the cotter key... Virtually impossible for weeds and plants to pull that one off.. yet you can open it and remove it with your fingernail just a lil slower than the flip-open bail kind..

soundguy

Not a bad idea at all. Thanks.

/ Lynch Pins #16  
yeah, kubota actually does the key ring thing on some of the pins holding the 3 point on, but I hadn't thought of doing it elsewhere. Good idea

/ Lynch Pins #17  
That one is courtesy of the owner of the CNH dealership where I bought my last couple of blue tractors.

soundguy

/ Lynch Pins #18  
the pins that hold the adjustments on my MMM are retained with key rings. untill you snag one on something and turn it into a pretzel. (ask me how i know)

/ Lynch Pins
Right now I am using some 1/4" grade 8 bolts and lock nuts on the top of the wheel forks of my bushog finish mower. I can't imagine those failing in this application.

/ Lynch Pins #20  
schmism said:
the pins that hold the adjustments on my MMM are retained with key rings. untill you snag one on something and turn it into a pretzel. (ask me how i know)

On occasion.. I have seen them pretzle up.. but at least they hold and don't come off.. .. course then you need a set of wire snips to remove them.. etc... but better than them fslling off and dropping the mower.. etc..

soundguy