M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ?

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #101  
I use my L45 all over the side of the hills at my place, creek banks too. removing the backhoe and adding the 3 point takes about 15 minutes, once you get a system down not much to it. I would love to swap it out for a M62 just so I could move bigger rocks but the price of those nowadays is inhibiting that.

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ?
Some advantages of buying new. Don’t think you will come close to wearing one out. Up at Johnson City Tennessee a couple of weeks ago and noted Mason’s had several used M62s. At least one M59. Popular machines for hillside work.

While the M62 does have some improvements, the pre tierIV emissions of the M59 has considerable advantages for me puttering around on my hillside farm.
Kubota is going to require a down payment for the 0% option which impacts the buy new value for me. If I've got to pull money out for a down payment, I might as well pull a little more and buy used.

Do you have an opinion you'd be willing to share on Mason's?

Last edited:
   / M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ?
I use my L45 all over the side of the hills at my place, creek banks too. removing the backhoe and adding the 3 point takes about 15 minutes, once you get a system down not much to it. I would love to swap it out for a M62 just so I could move bigger rocks but the price of those nowadays is inhibiting that.

Assume the L48 would be a bit more nimble but the M62's extra grunt would be valuable too.

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #104  
I don't know if I'd swap a good L45 for a newer larger tractor just to get more complex emissions control and the longer reach. There are a lot of advantages to that L45. It has the HST Plus tranny - which IMHO is worth more than another ten HP. The L45 overall weight is within a thousand pounds of the M59, and the L45 carries its weight weight down lower.
As for grunt, the FEL will lift more than you probably should be carrying just as is. It's got a nicer 3pt, too. I can barely lift the heavy Cat. II 3pt arms for the M59.

No, I'm not trading our M59 for anything anytime soon, but the Kubota TLB line is so good that every size has advantages. If I was in the market for a utility size TLB, I'd just get the next really good one that came my way. Regardless of size.

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #105  
Kubota is going to require a down payment for the 0% option which impacts the buy new value for me. If I've got to pull money out for a down payment, I might as well pull a little more and buy used.

Do you have an opinion you'd be willing to share on Mason's?
They have been in business a long time. Large tractor and construction equipment dealer. Seems like they to deal with higher end used equipment which tend to have higher prices. Have talked with them on equipment, shopped their lot but have never bought anything from them. Haven’t heard any complaints. They are about 90miles from me.

Buying used is work and usually who can have their money ready first. Almost all my farm and construction equipment was purchased used. Grew up doing this. More confidence with older stuff than new.

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #106  

Buying used is work and usually who can have their money ready first. Almost all my farm and construction equipment was purchased used. Grew up doing this. More confidence with older stuff than new.

Well said, Smokey. I certainly couldn't say it any better than that. Buying used gives a person the ability to buy better quality equipment with proven performance and at much lower prices - low enough to stay out of much debt, and that's huge.
Used things can't hide what their strong and weak features are. So a buyer gets to know in advance what part of the design is good, and what will need attention. New ones are a mystery that way.

Most people do take care of their tools and don't use them to full capacity. I will say that construction machinery may be one of the exceptions. The Kubota TLB was one of the few things we've ever bought new.

It used to be that new models featured improvements. Today, I see a lot of new models that feature a lower cost of production as though that was an advantage. When times change, buyers need to change too.

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #107  
Here was my solution, you will need wheel weights and the backhoe attached, but this will get you half way between a stock L45 and an M62.
Upsized Hydraulic Clyinders for Loaders
The loader is still fast enough.
I do not recommend cranking up the Hydraulic Pressure beyond 3,100 Psi, and even doing this is only good for +5% additional lift capacity. Stock main pump pressure is 2,900 to 2,950. You should check to see that your hydraulic are running at least rated capacity.

Last edited: