M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ?

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #81  
New unit less the top/tilt, extra rear Hydraulics ports, 4-1 bucket, hyd loader bucket attach, one BH bucket and telematics may be around 93K which seems to jive with the ads I've seen. Not sure what a demo discount would be but finding one around here would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

A lot of the areas I'm planning to use for trails are 30+ year old logging roads. They have filled in some but are still somewhat flat.

Would you drive your M59 w/ BH attached forward up a 35-40% slope? How much does the backhoe affect stability?
Would you drive your M59 w/ BH attached forward up a 35-40% slope? How much does the backhoe affect stability?
On my L39 I filled the hollow Loader tubes with Durabar adding about 130 lbs midsection. On an M62 having larger tubes, guessing this would add another 200 Lbs. They were set using epoxy cement and have not gone anywhere. I also have welded up the front guard adding a trailer hitch and a front counter weight adding another 75 Lbs to the front. It is still very light on the front end without the bucket, especially with a HD +100 Lb thumb on the hoe and reinforced bucket.

Attachments

• Stump Dump2 (1280x768).jpg
    Stump Dump2 (1280x768).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • P1010664.JPG
    P1010664.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 20180121_L39 Grill Guard (1).jpg
    20180121_L39 Grill Guard (1).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35
  • 20190407_163854.jpg
    20190407_163854.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 34
  • 20190419_140522.jpg
    20190419_140522.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
   / M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #82  
Today the 15-19* was up and down.

10-15*side slope really have to be careful.

I grooved the worn front tires when I first got the M59 to improve traction in pastures with side slope. Some in mud. Then bought extra deep lug severe service, high ply, ultra traction new front tires. World of difference particularly doing loader work.

Grooved the front tires of the B26 early to help finish mow our hillside grounds. 2” rear wheel spacer too. Wife does most of the mowing except for the real gnarly stuff. 100hrs mowing per year. Tractors are very similar. Comfortable with her driving the M59 when I’m in the FEL man basket.

Both tractors stay in 4wd as I don’t have paved roads. Kind on our turf.

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #83  
As JWR says, the Japanese don't seem to understand about widening the tractor wheelbase for hillside work. But American farm tractors do.

There is a 3pt kit for the M59/62. I'd get it if you go that way, but swapping the hoe and 3pt is enough of a chore that you may want to keep your eyes open for an extra 3pt tractor.... an older American farm tractor for the 3pt hillside work. Although compact and utility size tractors don't have much ability to widen their stance, the next size up in the tractor world are those farm or ag tractors and many offer adjustable width of the wheelbase.

Our old JD "B" ag tractor isn't much good for anything except 3pt work, but like most farm tractors it came with long rear and front axles. The tires can be extended out along those axles to nearly ten feet total. That makes it almost as wide as it is long, looks ridiculous, but is almost impossible to flip. You can find ag tractors with extra long and wide axles.

My own view about hillsides is I try every way possible to avoid going there.

Both of our TLBs will will slide sideways before it begins to feel tippy. I don't know why that is so, but am very glad it does. Both have wide construction tread tires with heavy sidewalls. The M59 weighs a bit over 8000 lbs, the JD 310 about twice that.

Note that most American and Japanese tractors and TLBs DO NOT have brakes on the front wheels or any suspension - although I understand that European tractors have both. Think for a moment about what that means when going downhill with a weight in the loader bucket.....

rScotty
Scotty, if you have added any weight or mods to the M59, bet it is over 9,000 lbs, hell my L39 is 8,200 Lbs

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #84  
I have some steep slopes like that thankfully not too many or too long. Going straight up or down isn't a problem, keep your loader as low as possible, 4WD on and MED-LO gear range. I try to avoid driving along those steep slopes. Feels more stable with the BH on vs the bush hog on those slopes. I have a cab so my CofG is probably a little higher now and I'm pushing 10,000+ lbs now. I generally don't need 4WD for making heavy lifts on level ground with the cab on.

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ?
Still in process - Does the M62 have a Power Outlet (cigarette lighter style) for something like an electric sprayer?

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #86  
Don’t think so. Certainly does have room in a center blank dash.

Ran a heavy duty, two lead, fused quick disconnect plug to run a spot sprayer or possible fuel pump.

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ?

Ran a heavy duty, two lead, fused quick disconnect plug to run a spot sprayer or possible fuel pump.
That blank dash looks like a good place for a rear view camera too

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #88  

Ran a quick connect for a trickle charger and a cigarette plug for an electric vest

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #89  
Last edited:
   / M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #90  
I think it is possible to swing the bucket far enough to wack the stabilizers on all Kubota TLBs.
My L48 will swing into the stabilizers also, so I agree, probably all of them.