M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ?

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #61  
May not be able to afford the unit - remains to be seen. Last tractor I bought was in 2006 and the next one I buy will probably be the last.

Just wondered if the M59/M62 drive-line felt under-powered as a tractor since it weighed so much.

Cheater for the SSQA?

Wheel weights is the only extra weight and that would be instead of filled tires.
The biggest issue is not enough machine weight for traction. Mine won't bog down in low gear pushing into a pile, the wheels will spin until your belly pan is floating on the ground.

Without the BH the tractor is too light. Max tow pin rating is only about 6,000~6,500lbs. You will need to buy the hitch kit if you have plans to tow a wagon.

The loader is too powerful without the BH as counter weight. You will be up on two wheels - be cautious about overloading your front axel.

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #62  
There are several startup garage companies that offer some impressive grill protection guards, differential lock step, light guards, etc.

There are many options, guessing and misinformation comparing gear vs HST power and traction. Have had many of both. For our hillside, mostly wooded, heavily used FEL farm tasks, the HST is a clear winner. There is not a gear Tranny option for the TLB either. Stay mostly in mid range with occasional high with a lot of switching with HST plus because I’m either going uphill or downhill.

If the M59 is my last tractor, I’ll will be happy with that. I have very much enjoyed using it.

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #63  
May not be able to afford the unit - remains to be seen. Last tractor I bought was in 2006 and the next one I buy will probably be the last.

Just wondered if the M59/M62 drive-line felt under-powered as a tractor since it weighed so much.

Cheater for the SSQA?

Wheel weights is the only extra weight and that would be instead of filled tires.
In order to compare prices and options it will pay you to go to the Kubota "Wholegoods" catalogue.
It lists the prices from Kubota for all the TLBs and all options with part numbers. For example, below is an example from the 2019 "Wholegoods" showng two different options for M62 Quick Attach backhoe buckets. I see a tilting grading bucket.... nice.

I don't see the M59 style grill guard listed, Smokey may have gotten one of the last ones in stock. But check the 2024 wholegoods to be sure.

The M59 will probably be our last tractor. It is a classic, runs like new after 16 years, and there are many options yet to be explored. Underpowered? no... not at all. I would say that the hi/hi road gear is definitely geared a touch too high. It bogs uphill and can go way too fast on the level. All the other gears seem right. Both lows gears are plenty low & powerful. Most work is done in medium range.

The "cheater" for the SSQA is just a 4 foot length of SS pipe sized to fit over the SSQA levers...I put that in as sort of a joke since I like to set the SSQA pin springs tighter than most do - (they are adjustable) - but when they are that tight I'm too old to throw them by hand without a cheater pipe.

rScotty

Wholegoods  for TBN - 2019.jpg

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ?
In order to compare prices and options it will pay you to go to the Kubota "Wholegoods" catalogue.
It lists the prices from Kubota for all the TLBs and all options with part numbers. For example, below is an example from the 2019 "Wholegoods" showng two different options for M62 Quick Attach backhoe buckets. I see a tilting grading bucket.... nice.

I don't see the M59 style grill guard listed, Smokey may have gotten one of the last ones in stock. But check the 2024 wholegoods to be sure.

The M59 will probably be our last tractor. It is a classic, runs like new after 16 years, and there are many options yet to be explored. Underpowered? no... not at all. I would say that the hi/hi road gear is definitely geared a touch too high. It bogs uphill and can go way too fast on the level. All the other gears seem right. Both lows gears are plenty low & powerful. Most work is done in medium range.

The "cheater" for the SSQA is just a 4 foot length of SS pipe sized to fit over the SSQA levers...I put that in as sort of a joke since I like to set the SSQA pin springs tighter than most do - (they are adjustable) - but when they are that tight I'm too old to throw them by hand without a cheater pipe.

rScotty

View attachment 856799
They have a hydraulic option for the SSQA attachment. No bar just a button.

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #65  
They have a hydraulic option for the SSQA attachment. No bar just a button.
Yes. That's a good example of a latch design better done by hand. Latching the SSQA hydraulically with with a button from the cab doesn't remove the requirement to dismount and check that the tops and pins are properly engaged. So there is minimal savings of time or effort. Might as well latch them by hand and know for sure.

That latching mechanism and those latching pins - are design downsides of the SSQA type quick attach - it is possible for them to not latch properly with disasterous results. Doing a search for articles on the subject will lead to some reflection.... .
rScotty

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #66  
Those rubber “street” pads for the backhoe stabilizers really make a difference. They came with B26 we got and was significantly impressed with the added traction and support on just the ground. Often soft ground and at a side angle on our property. The couple inches of height made a difference.

The higher power backhoe M59 stock stabilizer feet were not adequate. Not as big or heavily cleated as a full size backhoe, they either sunk into the ground and ran out of travel to level on side sloped soft ground. Swinging full buckets to the side was tipsy. Increased the height, width, area, cleats and rubber pads of the stabilizer feet helped with our farm conditions. Inches make a big difference. Don’t know if they changed anything on even longer boom on M62? Optioning those rubber pads was a good decision. I’ll put them on any backhoe from now on.

There are two different quick attach backhoe options. Going with KX excavator compatible style the best choice. You’ll find many buckets and attachments available. Very pleased with USA buckets and ripper.

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #67  
Way back in this thread rScotty mentioned using a dozer for building or fixing roads. I'll second that. I'm amazed how much a good operator (that excludes me) can get done in day with something like a D5. It will be safer and put you in a position to get a ton accomplished with your M62.

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #68  
The M62 is a 60 HP tractor with ~45hp pto. I know the lower pto numbers are because of the extra hp for the backhoe's hydraulics. Does the drive-line also take a hit on hp. At 10,000 lbs, it's going to need some horses to climb a 30-40% long slope (with the BH attached) at anything other than a crawl.

I've got a grapple and 4-N-1 bucket for my JD 4710 that will stay at the house property. Not sure if I can or want to swap back and forth between the tractors.

This is the unapproved wish list:
M62 with Loader and BH w/ aux valves
Tires: R4 (bit worried about the traction)
Hydraulics: Top-N-Tilt, Rear Remote valve kit
3-P: really hope I can find telescoping 3-point arms and sway bars
Loader Buckets: 84" HD round back & 4-N-1 & Grapple
Backhoe: Rubber Stabilizer flip pads
Backhoe Buckets: QA's 18" w/ teeth, 36" smooth ditching, ripper
BH thumb
Rear wheel weights
2" rear wheel spacers if available
Aux work lights
Telematics?

Thoughts?
I'd also get a 6' hd Round bucket from an L47 with cutting edge, then weld on adapters for small excavator teeth for hard soil digging
Best teeth
Available from:
recommend
Rear wheel weights Continuous Cast Iron Bar Stock Leader and Steel Alternative and find a machine shop (weights in inside of wheel will serve as Spacers)
2" rear wheel spacers if available

Attachments

• L-39_w_wheel_weights_side#2_2-25-07.JPG
    L-39_w_wheel_weights_side#2_2-25-07.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • L-39_wheel_wts#1_2-25-07.JPG
    L-39_wheel_wts#1_2-25-07.JPG
    338.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC01869.JPG
    DSC01869.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
   / M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #69  
Those rubber “street” pads for the backhoe stabilizers really make a difference. They came with B26 we got and was significantly impressed with the added traction and support on just the ground. Often soft ground and at a side angle on our property. The couple inches of height made a difference.

The higher power backhoe M59 stock stabilizer feet were not adequate. Not as big or heavily cleated as a full size backhoe, they either sunk into the ground and ran out of travel to level on side sloped soft ground. Swinging full buckets to the side was tipsy. Increased the height, width, area, cleats and rubber pads of the stabilizer feet helped with our farm conditions. Inches make a big difference. Don’t know if they changed anything on even longer boom on M62? Optioning those rubber pads was a good decision. I’ll put them on any backhoe from now on.

There are two different quick attach backhoe options. Going with KX excavator compatible style the best choice. You’ll find many buckets and attachments available. Very pleased with USA buckets and ripper.
I agree that the stabilizers could use some improvements. They do work, but could do much better. The factory steel feet have an inverted U shape that makes a pretty good ski fore and aft. In the lateral direction, they are simply too small and too close in to do what they should.

For starters, they could have a heavy corrugated rubber bottom, plus maybe some spikes at the corners, have twice the footprint, and stick out farther. The basic shoe seems sturdy enough to add those features, ...even as bolt-ons. One thing to watch is with the M59 it is possible to swing the bucket far enough to foul the stabilizers. I don't know if that is still the case with the M62.

Anyway, the stabilizer feet are an easy mod.

rScotty

/ M62 TLB for Maintaining Hilly Land ? #70  
Here is a source for rubber pads for backhoe stabilizer flip feet. They seem about 20 years out of date on their Kubota flip pads. Maybe we could work with them.