MADE IN CHINA on JD

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / MADE IN CHINA on JD #21  
Back in the early 80s, managers at the Des Moines plant started asking us for our ideas. We didn't like the "made in china" stamped on all the castings. We suggested replacing that with "Union made in Iowa". the companies response was - we would loose too many sales because of the word union. It seams china is a better word than union.

/ MADE IN CHINA on JD #22  
Stopped at a JD dealer today to look at a 3320 tractor. Noticed the tires are Made in China. Could not help but notice how rough and crude some of the castings look. I was somewhat taken back by its appearance.

/ MADE IN CHINA on JD #23  
bigtiller said:
It seams china is a better word than union.
"China" = less expensive
"union" = more expensive

The easy solution would be to start unions in China. Then we might be competitive again. Or lose the unions in the US... but I digress.

/ MADE IN CHINA on JD #24  
bigtiller said:
Back in the early 80s, managers at the Des Moines plant started asking us for our ideas. We didn't like the "made in china" stamped on all the castings. We suggested replacing that with "Union made in Iowa". the companies response was - we would loose too many sales because of the word union. It seams china is a better word than union.

I don't believe a word of that...
And, no...don't care for unions at all. I doubt if Deere or anyone else ever said such a thing...or did any polling to even find out, especially in the early '80's.

/ MADE IN CHINA on JD #25  
I love the comments..

People get all over JD for being "too expensive." They outsource parts to keep costs in line and get criticized for it. You're the same people who gloat over your "great deal" that you got at Harbor Freight on a Chinese made quick hitch that's "exactly the same" as the JD Imatch. When you do that, don't look to closely in the mirror because you're part of the problem.

As for quality; manufacturing going overseas; the "gubmint"; blah, blah...whine, whine...

Heard it all before only it had "Made in Japan" labels in the late '50's. That seemed to work out okay...now everyone points to Japan as the paradigm of quality manufacturing. Give the Chinese about 10 more years and association with Japanese and American manufacturing requirements and they'll be just as good overall.

Cisco Systems is making routers in China....Sony, Panasonic, etc. are making all kinds of electronics in China. All it takes is a good, local QC department, and manufacturing engineers to help setup the facility...after that, workers are workers and can turn out any level of quality desired.

Unless, of course you subscribe to the conspiracy theories about the Chineses having plans in place to take over the world...with all kinds of sinister motives. You'll probably also be vacationing in Dulce, NM looking for the 9-story underground base where the lizard people and the "greys" battle it out daily...for control of the tunnel that goes to Area 51....

/ MADE IN CHINA on JD #26  
I was thinking John Deere had a couple of plants in China?

/ MADE IN CHINA on JD #27  
"Cisco Systems is making routers in China....Sony, Panasonic, etc. are making all kinds of electronics in China. All it takes is a good, local QC department, and manufacturing engineers to help setup the facility...after that, workers are workers and can turn out any level of quality desired."

Aye, there's the rub...

One industry that's opening is 3rd party inspection to ensure those local QC departments do their job. Quite a few of those are based in Hong Kong.
Although there are some major manufacturing plants in China, there's still a lot of Ma and Pa shops turning out the goods. That's where a lot of the quality issues stem from.
Also bribery...there's a fair amount of corruption (as is anywhere). That'll probably get worse before it gets better.

/ MADE IN CHINA on JD #28  
swines said:
I love the comments..

People get all over JD for being "too expensive." They outsource parts to keep costs in line and get criticized for it. You're the same people who gloat over your "great deal" that you got at Harbor Freight on a Chinese made quick hitch that's "exactly the same" as the JD Imatch. When you do that, don't look to closely in the mirror because you're part of the problem.

As for quality; manufacturing going overseas; the "gubmint"; blah, blah...whine, whine...

Heard it all before only it had "Made in Japan" labels in the late '50's. That seemed to work out okay...now everyone points to Japan as the paradigm of quality manufacturing. Give the Chinese about 10 more years and association with Japanese and American manufacturing requirements and they'll be just as good overall.

Cisco Systems is making routers in China....Sony, Panasonic, etc. are making all kinds of electronics in China. All it takes is a good, local QC department, and manufacturing engineers to help setup the facility...after that, workers are workers and can turn out any level of quality desired.

Unless, of course you subscribe to the conspiracy theories about the Chineses having plans in place to take over the world...with all kinds of sinister motives. You'll probably also be vacationing in Dulce, NM looking for the 9-story underground base where the lizard people and the "greys" battle it out daily...for control of the tunnel that goes to Area 51....

Amen, very well put.

The other factor in all this, don't be fooled by china not making high quality. At this point of the game they are one of the very few in the world that can produce high numbers and maintain high quality. That probally explains why they are manufacturers to the world. They have achived this level not by luck but hard work and willing to take on work others would not touch. You get what you pay for, if John Deere is making stuff overseas I imagine a company like John Deere can afford the best QC (quality control) John Deere probally has workers living down in China to over see the production runs.

At then end of the day it's the year 2007 it really does not matter anymore where stuff is made. As long as QC is in check the end product should meet the demands of the consumer.

/ MADE IN CHINA on JD #29  
RoyJackson said:
I don't believe a word of that...
And, no...don't care for unions at all. I doubt if Deere or anyone else ever said such a thing...or did any polling to even find out, especially in the early '80's.

N188864 was the part number for the clevis that was cast in china that I was talking about. Depending on the size of field cultivator there could be 90 or more on one machine. There were many other castings that other men worked with that we wanted to get changed but it was a no-go. I will have to retract my time line. Upon further reflection it was the fall of 1989 and not the early 80s. I believe you when you say you don't care for unions but you need to believe me that this DID indeed happen.

/ MADE IN CHINA on JD #30  
bigtiller said:
N188864 was the part number for the clevis that was cast in china that I was talking about. Depending on the size of field cultivator there could be 90 or more on one machine. There were many other castings that other men worked with that we wanted to get changed but it was a no-go. I will have to retract my time line. Upon further reflection it was the fall of 1989 and not the early 80s. I believe you when you say you don't care for unions but you need to believe me that this DID indeed happen.

I definitely believe you were told that. I'm just not convinced the source was reliable.
It's not that unions had (or have now) a good reputation...it's just back in the 80's, China was still "Red China" which had an even worse reputation as a supporter of terrorist states and North Vietnam.
Sort of like the lesser of two evils... And, being honest, China is our competitor, not our friend, IMHO.

So, that's what you were told...no doubt. But the source may have had motivation (a desire to move the work with the least disruption to the workforce) to promolgate less then accurate information.

But...that's just a semi-educated guess on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.