Made in Japan!

/ Made in Japan! #12  
7/26

Couple of comments on this thread:

1-Automakers must disclose countries of origin for car's makeup and the % from each. Not sure why this does not apply to other major products like tractors.

2-JD buys its 5000 series rear axles & apparently its 3ph's from the same Italian vendor as NH. It's Carraro, I think.

3-Though JD utilities/compacts & the NH Boomers are assembled in Ga, many parts come from many places.

It's a racket.

FWIW

Jim

/ Made in Japan! #13  
I've just learned Chevy will offer the new Izuzu diesel engine in the truck line for next year! This will replace the gas blocked diesel they have used for years. I thought GM owned Detroit Diesel??? Why Izuzu???
Profit or market share adjustment? Inquiring minds want to know.

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

/ Made in Japan! #14  
7/27

Hey Hawgee,

Cause the one they were using was a hunk a junk /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif.

Was it Detroit brand? Not even the dealer salesmen would lie about the problems it has had, in our recent buying frenzy (bought Chevy Silverado 2500, 300 hp gas, would love to have had a diesel). More than one said "I won't sell you this truck with diesel engine". I took 'em at their word and eventually found out that the GM diesels were a lot of trouble.

GM owns at least a majority stake in Izuzu and has for some time.

I also heard Dodge (Daimler et al) is dropping the Cummins diesel from their trucks very soon. Bad decision IMHO, ought to keep that engine and get Chevy to build the rest of the truck /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

Jim

/ Made in Japan! #15  
Hawgee, don't know how much you learned about it, but there's quite a bit of information on the Internet about the new Duramax diesel that Chevy is coming out with. Last I heard, it's supposed to be out next month. The Duramax diesel with an Allison transmission sounds like it ought to be fine machine; we'll see.

Bird

/ Made in Japan! #16  
Thats the one. The Duramax is reported as awsome tork thru all rpm ranges and little engine sound. The Allison has a special switch for towing and has had nothing but rave reviews. What ever works.
I've always liked to drive a Chevy car and a Ford truck.

"What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

/ Made in Japan! #17  
Hawgee - There was a fair bit of info on the Duramax on this board not too long back, you could do a search on Duramax or Isuzu. It may have been just before we switched to the new board, though.

Mark

/ Made in Japan! #18  
Yeah, I've read a bunch of those reports; just wish I could afford one. I've had Ford, Dodge, and Chev. trucks, but all gasoline. However, I used to have an Isuzu diesel sedan and my dad had an Isuzu diesel pickup; both of which were fine, dependable vehicles.

Bird

/ Made in Japan! #19  
GM sold Detroit Deisel to Roger Penske. Dodge is switching to Mercedes Benz engines since the parent company is now Daimler/Chrysler. Most of the loaders on compact tractors are made in U.S.A.. That's why you need two sets of wrenchs, metric for tractor and S.A.E fraction for loader.

/ Made in Japan! #20  
I just read that Daimler-Chrysler bought (Penske's) Detroit Diesel. Source was "Diesel Net News", 7/21/00.