Mahindra 2615 HST pto clutch HELP!

/ Mahindra 2615 HST pto clutch HELP! #1  

ajk2615hst

Tractor
mahindra 2615 hst
I have a 2008 Mahindra 2615 HST 4x4 w/loader tractor that has 160hrs. I purchased the it new and it has had no problems until tilling the garden this week. While tilling, turning rpm 1500, not working the tractor hard, the pto kicked out with a click sound. I pushed in the clutch, raised the tiller, let out the clutch, and the pto rotated the tiller just like normal. Attempted to till again, not working the tractor hard and similar results. I have checked the free play as per the owners manual specs and it is correct. I am wondering if there is any adjustment on the clutch for the pto clutch. This was the first time this has happened, and I am sick about it! Please Help!

/ Mahindra 2615 HST pto clutch HELP! #2  
Are you sure the problem is in the tractor, and not in the slip clutch on the tiller.

/ Mahindra 2615 HST pto clutch HELP!
Thanks, but it is not the slip-clutch on the drive-shaft of the tiller.

/ Mahindra 2615 HST pto clutch HELP! #4  
Thanks, but it is not the slip-clutch on the drive-shaft of the tiller.

Most all modern tractors have an over-riding clutch inside the transmission to keep an implement like a rotary mower from powering the tractor if the clutch is put in or if the HST pedal is in neutral while the mower spins down. Occasionally a tiller will hit a rock or something and really jar that coupler/clutch and it will stick open. This clutch can be one of several types. Most likely on a 2615, it will be a set of ramped cogs with a spring to keep them coupled together. This coupler has one-way ramps, so to speak, where if the implement tries to overspeed the shaft, it ratchets. There are silent types also, but I think you have the ratcheting type.

I think one half of your ratcheting coupler has stuck back against the end of it's splines, despite the pressure of the spring. With the tractor off, engine off, engage the PTO lever and see if you can freely spin the shaft by hand in either or both directions. That will tell us something I think.

/ Mahindra 2615 HST pto clutch HELP! #5  
This is an older thread, but I am experiencing the exact behavior the OP described. I'm really curious as to what the solution was.

My situation: 2615 HST using a tiller. I've had the tractor for 4 years now with many hours spent shredding. However this is my first time tilling, and I was borrowing a friend's 4ft tiller to see if this is something I should invest in. I was tilling for a couple of hours in pretty hard clay with some fist sized rocks. Everything was working great. It was bouncing around but digging in and making progress. The next day I started on another area and after only a few minutes, it started to behave like the OP described. Tilling along and then the blades stopped spinning following by what sounded like a ratchet sound. I hit the clutch, raised the tiller, and then re-engaged the PTO. Tiller spun up just fine, so I lowered it down to the dirt again. After about a foot of progress, it happened again. This time, I just lifted the tiller without stopping the PTO. The blades were stopping and starting until it got free of dirt and then spun back up again. Again, with the "ratcheting" sound until the blades were free to spin. To confirm, the tiller does not have a slip clutch.

In response to Dave's questions, with the tractor off and PTO engaged, looking at the back of the tractor, I can spin the PTO shaft clockwise and hear the ratcheting sound I have heard when my shredder is spinning down. I am not able to spin the PTO shaft CCW at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

/ Mahindra 2615 HST pto clutch HELP! #6  
Since you were running the tiller without a slip clutch, I would bet that you tore up gear inside your tractor. If you did, once you get her fixed, you should think about using a slip clutch next time. That is what they are for, to protect the tractor from shock loads when using the PTO... They usually come adjusted either way too loose, or way too tight, and you have to adjust them the first time you use them. Sorry, just stateing the facts.... Good luck, Jerry..

/ Mahindra 2615 HST pto clutch HELP! #7  
Hey Jerry,
While the tiller doesn't have a slip clutch, it does have a shear bolt...which I broke once while using it. So there should have been some level of protection. Either way, unfortunately, I think you are right about the damage done. However, I was hoping the OP had found a less costly solution. :) Thanks - Jeremy

/ Mahindra 2615 HST pto clutch HELP! #8  
Maybe DavesTractor or one of the other dealers will chime in about the internal ratchet'n thing internal to your tractor. It still could be something like that. I have shear pins on the driveline of my big blower, but a rototiller hitting the clay and rocks you discribed is a little different shock loading than the blower. Anyway, good luck. Hope you get it fixed and back in use soon. [ and at the least expense and trouble ] :)

/ Mahindra 2615 HST pto clutch HELP! #9  
I agree with Turbo to look at all the moving drive line shafts for a shear bolt. I've had it happen many times using a brush hog and a snow blower. Even if you have a slip clutch, there are other moving shafts that have bolts holding the gears on the shaft. If the tiller is lifted and able to spin free the PTO will turn it even with a broken shear bolt but as soon as it hits ground it will stop.

/ Mahindra 2615 HST pto clutch HELP! #10  
Maybe DavesTractor or one of the other dealers will chime in about the internal ratchet'n thing internal to your tractor. It still could be something like that. I have shear pins on the driveline of my big blower, but a rototiller hitting the clay and rocks you discribed is a little different shock loading than the blower. Anyway, good luck. Hope you get it fixed and back in use soon. [ and at the least expense and trouble ] :)

If with the tractor shut off and the PTO engaged you can turn it one direction by hand and hear a ratcheting sound and can't turn it the other way at all, that indicates that the ratchet cogs are together as designed. If it spins freely both directions with the tractor off and PTO engaged, I'd suggest something else. We have seen some of the OR clutch cogs get stuck out of position by sliding too far on the shaft.

I think you may need a dealer to take a look at this. You may have rounded off the cogs enough that they will not hold against a load. If so, the tractor has to be split and these items replaced. If this is it, you will want to replace both halves of the clutch and the spring, new fluid, new hydraulic filters, etc.

We have retailed hundreds of these smaller Mitsu built tractors and have seen a handful over the last 10 years with PTO issues. 100% of the time it is after a rather violent episode trying to rototill rocks, or rototilling really hard dry soil. Never once while mowing or doing anything else. I always tell folks to make sure the soil has some moisture, and if it is full of rocks you are just asking for trouble.