Mahindra 4500 4x4

/ Mahindra 4500 4x4 #1  

AzScott

Tractor
Mahindra 4500 4x4
Hello, I am thinking about purchasing the Mahindra 4500 4x4, just wondering what others have expierenced. I have heard mostly positive feedback from the Mahindra Brand. I live in AZ and will be using the tractor to maintain a private road to my property. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks, Scott

/ Mahindra 4500 4x4 #2  
Scott, the 4500 is a 3 cyl version of the 6000, as far as the engine is concerned. Same bore and stroke, just 3 vs. 4 cylinders. Tires are somewhat smaller but I'm no fanatic about the 16.9X28s on the back of my 6000. I may not be the one to ask, as I'm very biased, but based on the 25 or so hours on my 6000 with a brush hog and FEL: It's a bunch of tractor! As I was raised with a '50 8N Ford and A Model JDs, the 00 series Mahindras are really something. Also, based on the weight alone, that "40 couple" HP engine will double the work any other compact can do the same HP but with less weight. My sentiments, others mileage may vary, but go for it. BobG in VA

/ Mahindra 4500 4x4
Thanks for the reply. I purchased the 245 FEL, as well as a 7' box blade. If all the numbers match up, I will be getting the tractor next week. I will post my overall impression of the 4500 to this site /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif for others who may be looking for a simular model. Thanks again for the info.

/ Mahindra 4500 4x4 #4  
I have now put about 70-80 hours on my 6000, clearing trails, digging ditches with backhoe, spreading gravel w/ fel and box scraper, cutting holes for pole barn with post hole digger, spent about 20 hours mowing with 6' rottary cutter grass that is above the waist in high range 1st gear on slopes and hills, backed down into pond on steep bank with cutter to clear aroung pond, etc...etc. The 00 series is an ausum machine. Read some of the other posts for suggested improvements such as open station, change in reverser lever or system, etc. But overall, for the money, I don't see how one could go wrong.

/ Mahindra 4500 4x4 #5  
Congrats onyour new tractor! I have 52 hours on my 4500 4WD and have mostly been baling hay (small squares) and brushogging. I have been very impressed so far., I think you will be too. If you don't get wheel weights then consider filling the rear tires with fluid to offset the FEL. Chet

/ Mahindra 4500 4x4
Thanks for the info Chet, since this is "my" /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif first tractor, what would you recommend for rear weights in-terms of pounds? What's the typical price for a set of weights? Thanks Scott

/ Mahindra 4500 4x4 #7  
I'd suggest the fluid in the tires. Much cheaper than weights. I have my 6000's rears filled and it perfectly counters the FEL with a full load. I imagine about 1300 lbs in the rears (just a guess). I'm not sure you could get that much on with weights. You might counter the FEL by putting the box blade on the back while you use the FEL though. You probably would want to anyway. BobG in VA

/ Mahindra 4500 4x4 #8  
Scott, I have no idea on the price of weights, ask your dealer. I filled mine with windsheild wiper fluid from Wal-Mart, took about 38 gallons per tire as I recall. Chet

/ Mahindra 4500 4x4
Thanks Chet, so you filled your rear tires with Winshield Fluid. I read somewhere operators filled the rear tires with an Oil based liquid. What would be the advantages of that? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Mahindra 4500 4x4 #10  
AzScott, the various fluids have different densities. WW fluid is probably the lightest per gallon by weight, but is resonably enviro friendly and available at a cheap price. Antifreeze is very expensive even at 50/50 ratio unless you have a source for used antifreeze. Calcium Chloride has higher density, but can cause corrosion problems and will kill any vegetation it spills on. I suppose it would depend on what is generally used most in your locale. I have heard of beet juice as being wonderful stuff, but all I get around here are blank stares when I mention it. Ask around, search the website, there are lots of posts on the topic and make an informed choice on what is best for you. Some folks are in favor of wheel weights also for various reasons. I would not want a tracor with FEL without some kind of rear weight added.Chet