Mahindra 5155 Anyone?

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
5155 Owner's Update:

So, I've had my 5155 for a few months now, and have been working it hard on my property clearing trees. I bought 12 acres initially, nice rectangle property, with a nice stream along the west property line. We are building our "retirement" home (just retired from the Army) and a little hobby farm. My implement I use the most is my Mahindra Grapple. That thing just works! I keep all the zeus fittings greased, and the tractor has run flawlessly. I am getting close to 40 hours of run time on it, starting to consider the first fluid change. What advise can you give, as to how to service it? Should I do all the fluids myself or have my dealer do the first service? I have the Mahindra extended warranty on it, but the tractor has been a dream so far.

Very easy to operate. The Long 3rd Function kit words my grapple like a champ! Still learning how to get the most from my Box Blade, but I'm getting there.

I plan to keep this tractor for a VERY long time.

Oh, by the way, I just picked up another 25.6 acres adjoining my existing 12 acres... so, this tractor will see a ton of light forestry work.

How many hours do you recommend the first fluid change?

Thanks again for all the advice on this thread. These new Mahindra 5145/5155 tractors are work horses!

Cheers!

View attachment 847199
Congratulations on the recent retirement! And congratulations on the new tractor and property! I think you’re going to enjoy all three. I believe the first service is at 50 hours. Engine oil change, lube etc. they also want you to change the hydraulic filter and clean the suction strainer at 50 hours. They don’t require hydraulic fluid change until 1,000 hours IIRC, but you can’t clean the suction strainer without draining all of the hydraulic fluid. So, I opted to do the rest of the service at 50 hours as recommended. But waited until about 100 hours to do the suction strainer and filter and changed the fluid at the same time. If you want to reuse the fluid you’ll have to come up with a way to catch all 12 gallons and keep it clean to put it back in. I don’t think that’s really practical since it’s inevitable that some crud is going to fall in the drain pan when you take the (6) drain plugs and remove the suction strainer. So I just replaced the fluid and called it a day. Since I’m in a cold climate I upgraded to a semi-synthetic fluid as well to help during cold weather but that’s not mandatory, just my choice. Good luck with retirement and tractors! Be careful and let us know how you’re making out with projects!

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #572  
If you do it yourself, drain everything out. Put in all new oils and filters.
If important, you will save a lot of money doing it yourself and if you're still agile enough to get on your back and turn drain bolts, go for it.
It isn't difficult in the least with the biggest advantage (to me anyway) you will have your tractor back within hours instead of days if relying on dealership service.

We get $1350 (and that's about to go up) to do the first service but beyond fluids and filters, we also check bolt torque specs on loader and tires, tire pressure, operational switches, lighting, clutch adjustment, coolant levels, fluid disposal fees, etc, etc. It takes awhile to do it right. There is a bit over $500 worth of materials and the rest is labor at $140 an hr. That figure also includes pick up and delivery within a 50 mile radius.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
If you do it yourself, drain everything out. Put in all new oils and filters.
If important, you will save a lot of money doing it yourself and if you're still agile enough to get on your back and turn drain bolts, go for it.
It isn't difficult in the least with the biggest advantage (to me anyway) you will have your tractor back within hours instead of days if relying on dealership service.

We get $1350 (and that's about to go up) to do the first service but beyond fluids and filters, we also check bolt torque specs on loader and tires, tire pressure, operational switches, lighting, clutch adjustment, coolant levels, fluid disposal fees, etc, etc. It takes awhile to do it right. There is a bit over $500 worth of materials and the rest is labor at $140 an hr. That figure also includes pick up and delivery within a 50 mile radius.
Call me crazy, but I actually enjoy doing my own service. It gives me a chance to get to know my tractor and see how everything is doing first hand. You learn a lot about something by getting your hands on it. At least I do. And it gives me the excuse to buy a few tools etc like a 17 mm hex socket for the front axle vent plugs, a larger oil filter wrench for the hydraulic filter, and a 9/16” 8 point socket for the rear end drain plugs. Oh, and a 15 gallon drain pan. Not that I don’t trust my dealer to do the work, but I find it rewarding to do it myself and it does save me some money that I can re-deploy for something else that “I need”. No surprises for me. Just a little very fine iron powder on each of the magnetic drain plugs, which is totally normal. And I’m pleased that Mahindra puts magnets on every drain plug. A nice touch.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #574  
5155 Owner's Update:

So, I've had my 5155 for a few months now, and have been working it hard on my property clearing trees. I bought 12 acres initially, nice rectangle property, with a nice stream along the west property line. We are building our "retirement" home (just retired from the Army) and a little hobby farm. My implement I use the most is my Mahindra Grapple. That thing just works! I keep all the zeus fittings greased, and the tractor has run flawlessly. I am getting close to 40 hours of run time on it, starting to consider the first fluid change. What advise can you give, as to how to service it? Should I do all the fluids myself or have my dealer do the first service? I have the Mahindra extended warranty on it, but the tractor has been a dream so far.

Very easy to operate. The Long 3rd Function kit words my grapple like a champ! Still learning how to get the most from my Box Blade, but I'm getting there.

I plan to keep this tractor for a VERY long time.

Oh, by the way, I just picked up another 25.6 acres adjoining my existing 12 acres... so, this tractor will see a ton of light forestry work.

How many hours do you recommend the first fluid change?

Thanks again for all the advice on this thread. These new Mahindra 5145/5155 tractors are work horses!

Cheers!

View attachment 847199
50hour service is not bad, the oil filter is painted on and you have to remove the guard, the hydraulic filter is easy to remove with a filter wrench from the side. the hydraulic screen is a little more work, but dealing with the 12 gal of hydraulic fluid is the difficult part, so if you are prepared for that you will save a lot of time and money by doing it yourself.

just a heads up, look at the hoses that were modified with the 3rd function install if they are drooping down under the battery box, move them inboard and secure with zip ties out of the way. the area under the battery box is subject to collisions with stuff and can wear a hole in the hoses.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #575  
ALL:

Thank you so much for the input. As for now, I think I will have the Dealership do the first service. I'm in the process of having a 40x60 shop built, nice concrete floors, 14' overhangs and aprons, 12' roll up doors on either end, and a 14k four post lift installed. Once I get the lift installed, all other maintenance myself. My brother and I have a business starting up, working with local land developers and home builders, doing driveways, site clearing, footers, etc. So next in line for me is a Compact Track Loader and Mini Excavator.

Again, thank you all for the input. MUCH appreciated!

@arrow thank you so much for the input from a dealer / tech's perspective. That helps a lot!

Cheers,

Darren

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #576  
ALL:

Thank you so much for the input. As for now, I think I will have the Dealership do the first service. I'm in the process of having a 40x60 shop built, nice concrete floors, 14' overhangs and aprons, 12' roll up doors on either end, and a 14k four post lift installed. Once I get the lift installed, all other maintenance myself. My brother and I have a business starting up, working with local land developers and home builders, doing driveways, site clearing, footers, etc. So next in line for me is a Compact Track Loader and Mini Excavator.

Again, thank you all for the input. MUCH appreciated!

@arrow thank you so much for the input from a dealer / tech's perspective. That helps a lot!

Cheers,

Darren
You’re most welcome and best of luck w everything.
l hope things are cheaper in your neck of the woods.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
Hey everyone. I am working on adding a second rear remote and in the process of working on the measurements for hoses to go to the back, I found another grease fitting that I hadn’t seen before and that isn’t in the manual. It’s on the pivot point for the PTO selector lever. Not the PTO clutch, but the lever that lets you select standard PTO, E-PTO, or neutral. Here’s the best picture I could get of it. It’s tucked in right above the factory rear remote quick connectors on the left side of the tractor. Probably not a big wear item, but I thought I’d pass it on to the community. They certainly didn’t skimp on Zerk fittings, which I see as a good thing.

Attachments

• IMG_9126.jpeg
    IMG_9126.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
   / Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #578  
Hey everyone. I am working on adding a second rear remote and in the process of working on the measurements for hoses to go to the back, I found another grease fitting that I hadn’t seen before and that isn’t in the manual. It’s on the pivot point for the PTO selector lever. Not the PTO clutch, but the lever that lets you select standard PTO, E-PTO, or neutral. Here’s the best picture I could get of it. It’s tucked in right above the factory rear remote quick connectors on the left side of the tractor. Probably not a big wear item, but I thought I’d pass it on to the community. They certainly didn’t skimp on Zerk fittings, which I see as a good thing.
Thanks for the find. Yes, they aren't all in the manual. I have put yellow plastic caps on the zerks so I don't need to look for them as much when greasing - got on Amazon. See pic.

For hoses and fittings, I've used Discount Hydraulic Hose. They have a great variety of hose sizes and types and all kinds of fittings.

1706992665179.png

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #579  
Thanks Andy. I believe that brings the total to 26 now. That is just the tractor! Never mind the 12 or so on the FEL.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
Thanks Andy. I believe that brings the total to 26 now. That is just the tractor! Never mind the 12 or so on the FEL.
I wonder if there’s any more of them that we haven’t discovered yet? At any rate, I think it’s great that they went old school and put a ton of grease fittings on it. So much stuff today is just designed to be throw away and everything is “sealed”. I think being able to push new grease in, and push out old grease and dirt and water is a great thing. I’m just glad I have a pneumatic grease gun!