Mahindra emax 22 hst pto: OUCH.

/ Mahindra emax 22 hst pto: OUCH. #1  

tedmarx38

Tractor
Mahindra emax
I have the 2016 model and it’s a shame the designers didn’t consider that some people, like me, don’t have hydraulic lifts. It is impossible for me to connect the mower pto shaft without putting the beast on ramps and crawling under it, which makes me uncomfortable.

I’ve also done it by jacking it up and taking the drivers side rear tire off so I can reach the connection, but that too presents risks and challenges.

Aside from the typical suggestions of cleaning and lubing the components, what am I missing? With the tires on and it sitting on pavement, I can barely reach the coupler from behind and even then I’m working blind. From the side I can reach the shaft but not the coupler.

PTOs are hard enough to align and connect even when you can reach them and see what you’re doing. I’ll never understand why they designed this so poorly.

/ Mahindra emax 22 hst pto: OUCH. #2  
I believe there is a easier way now.

/ Mahindra emax 22 hst pto: OUCH. #3  
I don’t have the max, but have. Max22 with an Amerquip mower which I believe is a similar setup. This is what works for me and I remove/replace the mower +3 times a month.
The pto shaft has a slip collar. I drilled a hole so that I can pin the collar back which is the first thing I do.
Drive over the deck, remove the drawbar and lower the 3pth all the way down and shut tractor off.
Connect the right and left lift pins and attach the front lift pivot.chock the wheels set the brake.
Start the tractor and raise 3pth all the way up, shut tractor off. This puts the pto shaft in straight alignment with the pto splines and gives you access.
Lay down with your head by the right rear tire, you should be able to see the pto splines. Slide the shaft on, the I pull the pin holding the collar and make sure it’s locked on the shaft.
Replace drawbar remove wheel chocks and you’re good to go.
Typically takes about 10 minutes

Hope this helps

/ Mahindra emax 22 hst pto: OUCH. #4  
Mine is a royal pain. I leave my belly mower attached, as much as possible, due to how hard it is to connect it. I left it on, last Winter, using the FEL with edge skis attached, for plowing snow. I make certain to lift the mower deck to full height. It is still an issue, at times.

If I need to go into the woods on my property, to pull fence posts/barbed wire fencing out of the ground, or similar tasks, I will need to remove it prior.

I organize my work such that I need to remove the belly mower only when necessary. I can get it connected, without jacks, but it takes more than an hour to get it done, due to a lot of failed attempts. The mower deck is solid, heavy, and it works, but connecting it properly, is a real chore.

Practice has made me better at it, but it's still a PITA. Cheers!

/ Mahindra emax 22 hst pto: OUCH. #5  
buy a ZTM and ditch the mid mounted mower?

/ Mahindra emax 22 hst pto: OUCH. #7  
I only know my gear, but have learned (just did it today....):
Splines before lift mechanism,
Strong hand leads in (on my back, left side of tractor for me, feet to loader, right hand in to center),
PTO in neutral,
that strong hand pulls the collar back with thumb and middle through pinkie, leaves first finger overhanging to spin PTO as required.
Today (after about 200 times) was ezpz!

/ Mahindra emax 22 hst pto: OUCH. #8  
I only know my gear, but have learned (just did it today....):
Splines before lift mechanism,
Strong hand leads in (on my back, left side of tractor for me, feet to loader, right hand in to center),
PTO in neutral,
that strong hand pulls the collar back with thumb and middle through pinkie, leaves first finger overhanging to spin PTO as required.
Today (after about 200 times) was ezpz!
lol my procedure is to walk up to the ZTM check the oil, check the tires, do a visual to make sure my wife did not leave me with a mess. Step on, sit down, turn key and enjoy some time running in circles and getting dust all over me. Note that in none of the above do i get even close to crawling on the ground, to each his own but the last thing i want to do is crawl on the ground, i even have a cheap electric wench set up with a strap to lift the ZTM to a front wheels up attitude for doing any work under the mower deck.

I will STFU now, I just find that the whole idea of a MMM gives me bad vibes, but to each his own.

/ Mahindra emax 22 hst pto: OUCH. #9  
I invested a lot of money (for me) into my tractor and its belly mower. You don't know what you don't know.

When I was talking to the dealer, I asked him how easy it was to connect/disconnect the belly mower...

He laid down, disconnected it, then he re-connected it. It looked easy enough. I did not realize that nothing had moved, everything was still aligned, perfectly.

The JD easy-connect belly mowers are nice, but the price is out of my budget.

A ZTM is also nice, but out of my price range.

One of the advantages of a mid-mount mower is that it is under the tractor's belly! It is not swinging around the back end; I don't need to be mindful of where it is as I steer, and what it might hit, if I'm not careful and watching with my head swiveling 360, non-stop. It is also built solid as hell, which is nice, and durable, but it's also very heavy, and vey clumsy to finagle into position -- I drive over it to mount/dismount, and there is zero flexing, it's strong as hell!

I needed a multi-purpose tool: capable of mowing my 2.5 acres; plowing a lot of snow on my shared driveway, capable of removing 2-3 feet of packed snow and ice the county plow driver leaves blocking my shared driveway; able to pull fence posts, and buried wire/barbed wire fencing out of the ground; capable of doing a lot of varied work on my small acreage. I invested what I could afford, into what I thought was a good tool for the multiple jobs.

Overall, it works great for most tasks. It mows very well, once it is set up properly. It does the mowing easily, efficiently, and very well. It does all of the tasks I need it to, once it is set up for them. I have no serious regrets. I recognize its shortcomings, and I deal with them.

All in all, I like the Mahindra cards I dealt myself. If money were no issue, I'd let my Butler deal with the problems, and if he couldn't, I'd fire him and hire someone who could!

Money is limited, and I AM The Butler! I'd fire myself, but my wife won't let me. LOL! Cheers!

Last edited:
   / Mahindra emax 22 hst pto: OUCH. #10  
I invested a lot of money (for me) into my tractor and its belly mower. You don't know what you don't know.

When I was talking to the dealer, I asked him how easy it was to connect/disconnect the belly mower...

He laid down, disconnected it, then he re-connected it. It looked easy enough. I did not realize that nothing had moved, everything was still aligned, perfectly.

The JD easy-connect belly mowers are nice, but the price is out of my budget.

A ZTM is also nice, but out of my price range.

One of the advantages of a mid-mount mower is that it is under the tractor's belly! It is not swinging around the back end; I don't need to be mindful of where it is as I steer, and what it might hit, if I'm not careful and watching with my head swiveling 360, non-stop. It is also built solid as hell, which is nice, and durable, but it's also very heavy, and vey clumsy to finagle into position -- I drive over it to mount/dismount, and there is zero flexing, it's strong as hell!

I needed a multi-purpose tool: capable of mowing my 2.5 acres; plowing a lot of snow on my shared driveway, capable of removing 2-3 feet of packed snow and ice the county plow driver leaves blocking my shared driveway; able to pull fence posts, and buried wire/barbed wire fencing out of the ground; capable of doing a lot of varied work on my small acreage. I invested what I could afford, into what I thought was a good tool for the multiple jobs.

Overall, it works great for most tasks. It mows very well, once it is set up properly. It does the mowing easily, efficiently, and very well. It does all of the tasks I need it to, once it is set up for them. I have no serious regrets. I recognize its shortcomings, and I deal with them.

All in all, I like the Mahindra cards I dealt myself. If money were no issue, I'd let my Butler deal with the problems, and if he couldn't, I'd fire him and hire someone who could!

Money is limited, and I AM The Butler! I'd fire myself, but my wife won't let me. LOL! Cheers!
yea i hear you I tried to fire the butler also but just like you my wife said "no way Jose" until death do us part. I spent a lot of my young life astride of a Bolins riding lawn tractor, but our yard was flat (Houston area) and the deck never came off the tractor (come to think of it I do not remember ever sharpening the blades). Now on my current property the blades are scrap after a season and i cannot even fathom dealing with a MMM but that is me and i completely understand that others have different realities and have to do what is best for that reality.