Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920?

/ Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920?
So it sounds like I should really be giving the Max28XL more thought than I originally anticipated... I guess I should go try one out this Saturday then :)

/ Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920? #13  
Orange Man said:
So it sounds like I should really be giving the Max28XL more thought than I originally anticipated... I guess I should go try one out this Saturday then :)

It's worth a look, at least. U get to buy what u think is best with your money. They r all great tractors, all colors... It would be hard to go wrong, as long as u get something that will meet your needs.

Have fun.

/ Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920? #14  
I rented a bx for a week and ruled it out. Came down to a 2520 jd, 2920 kubota, and 2516 Mahindra(pretty close to max 28). The jd got eliminated by price but was the best at driving, etc. The mahindra was not far off from the JD in comfort. The kubota rode the worse and seemed light. Also preferred the position control on the mahindra and deere. The kubota was 3k more than the mahindra and the deere over 6k more. This is tractor and loader. I ended up with the mahindra and its been great so far. The mahindra and kubota were at the same dealer so got to look at them side by side. If I did not take the time to use all three i'm sure any one would be great for what I do, but the price and fit for me was an easy decision. If I was not impressed with the Mahindra and how it fit me and my needs I would have bit the bullet and gone with the Deere. I think all these are great and there is a fit for each depending on the person and his needs so I don't think you can make a wrong decision, maybe just a better one for you,,try em all and decide.

/ Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920? #15  
Best thing to do is test them BOTH. Play with them around the dealer lot. One may jump out at you as being better in one way or another, comfort and ergonomics wise.

Is the kubota worth 3k more......well if it is more comfortable to YOU and the Max isnt comfortable at all, then heck yea its worth more. You dont want a 20k peice of equipment just sitting because you dont enjoy using it because you wanted to save a few $$.

And take the lifting specs with a grain of salt. I think they are blown WAY out of proportion on those little tractors. Heck, the MAX lists its both its loader and 3ph as being able to lift 300lbs MORE than my L3400. And my L3400 is about 800lbs more machine. And it takes loaded tires and an 1100lb bushhog hanging off the back to keep the rears on the ground when using the loader to its fullest potential.

Now a 800lb lighter machine with 300lbs more lift.....

So just take the # with a grain of salt, and realize that you probabally wouldnt be able to tell a difference if the real world of digging and moving dirt.

/ Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920? #16  
Orange Man (premature board name?) - is the Max 28XL HST or shuttle shift? I see Mahindra lists both on their web site, but when I downloaded the PDF spec sheet, it only showed the shuttle transmission. In that size tractor, and for what you want to do, I would not want anything but HST. HST vs shuttle would account for some of the price difference, if in fact the Max 28XL you're looking at is shuttle and not HST.

/ Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920? #17  
I just re-read your initial post and it said you love the Kubota. Go drive the Mahindra and if it does not make you completely forget about your previous love, your decision is made. 3K more for the Kubota is easily worth it if you love the tractor. Like I said no wrong decision here, just a right one for you. And I agree with the specifications comments. Truth is most users won't be able to tell the difference and with the HP and hydraulics now on these small tractors most of them will outperform the tractor body.

/ Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920? #18  
And take the lifting specs with a grain of salt. I think they are blown WAY out of proportion on those little tractors. Heck, the MAX lists its both its loader and 3ph as being able to lift 300lbs MORE than my L3400.

..not talking about this specific model, but wondering out loud.

one thing I have always wondered is exactly how some companies pull this off. your mainline tractors (NH, Deere, Kubota, etc) all lift about the same, but there always outliers that claim to lift way more but don't appear to have a front axle thats any heavier than the others. So what gives?

Just curous, whats a MAX28 TLB sell for? I've never run into one before or seen pricing online.

/ Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920? #19  
When they first hit the dealer lot I was priced $ 13800 for tractor and loader for the Max 28 hst, don't know about tbl. I think you are dead on with the specs. Did you see the video on the deere 1026 fel lift? I don't think any of these in the same class can really out do the others to a extent anyone would really notice. If you are pushing a small tractor to the limit of the specs where it would make a difference, you probably need a larger tractor. The parts and service support of JD and Kubota, not to mention the current resale are strong points to consider. I went with the Mahindra because I paid cash and the cash difference was significant. I can also afford to buy another one if in the unlikely event I have issues that can't be resolved or if parts availability is a problem. If I had to finance one and had to be sure it lasts 20 years or so I probably would have made a different decision.

/ Mahindra Max 28XL or Kubota B2920? #20  
..not talking about this specific model, but wondering out loud.

one thing I have always wondered is exactly how some companies pull this off. your mainline tractors (NH, Deere, Kubota, etc) all lift about the same, but there always outliers that claim to lift way more but don't appear to have a front axle thats any heavier than the others. So what gives?

Just curous, whats a MAX28 TLB sell for? I've never run into one before or seen pricing online.

I have wondered the same. Not saying that it "cant" be done. But I think they either rate them with the rear chained down to something, or just use mathematics and calculate what to "rate" them at. Cause (talking this specific model) dont see how the Max 28 is going to lift anywhere close to 1400#. Again, comparing it to my 800# heavier tractor with 300# less lift capacity, I have loaded tires and a 1100lb 6' cutter that sticks back a ways. And it takes ALL of that just to get the loader to go into relief instead of raising the rears. You could put a 2500# rated loader on my tractor if you wanted and it would do me absolutely no good. because I cant get enough ballast reasonably to keep the back tires down.

So take the #'s with a grain of salt as I said. Because Most all tractors today can lift the back tires off the ground easy enough even with filled tires and ballast hanging off the back. So what good does any more lift do?? Other than look good on paper.

Just wondering also, anyone know the size of the cylinders on that MAX that is rated @ 1400# lift. Mine are 1.77" (45mm) diameter cylinders.