Backhoe Mahindra owners. Little help here please.

/ Mahindra owners. Little help here please. #21  
i am pleased with my tractor. had an issue and taken care of under warranty no problems. i do not abuse it but i do use it. either you are beating the **** out of it or you have one of those anomalous lemons that can occur. i am most pleased in my mahindra and so glad i did not get a green or orange.

I think you have a machine made in Japan while he has one made in Korea. From my time on this forum it seems that the TYM built machines have most of the problems.

/ Mahindra owners. Little help here please.
I also own a 3550 with around 650 hours.

It had a couple initial bugs that were worked out between the dealer and Mahindra. It did take some effort on my part but they did eventually get those bugs solved (overcooling and limp mode issues - should be corrected on all 3550s by now). Since then, I've had no issues with the machine. There was a hydraulic leak or two over the past 3 years that I tightened with a wrench - took a couple minutes to fix total - less total time than loading the machine onto a trailer.

The loss of low gear is interesting - I will say that being an un-synchronized transmission, it is tougher to shift. There is a definite "feel" to it, and even when done correctly it's not a silky-smooth shift. Any chance you were grinding gears when shifting? Since there is no clutch, I have to be careful to shift on ideally relatively flat surfaces and properly use the brakes to hold it and help align the splines while shifting.

The low power (bogging down) when operating might just be due to HST. I don't care the color of the machine, hydrostatic will not transfer as much power to the ground as a gear tractor. It's still worth it for me - but there is clearly a loss of power due to the inefficiency of the transmission. That's been true on every HST tractor I've ever used.

So beyond the gear issue- which it sounds like the dealer is servicing, what issues do you need to contact Mahindra about? If you are looking for a buyback I don't think that the issues you stated are to that point yet.

Hmmmm.

Well.

You forgot a few of the other issues there JB.

How about the bolts that completely fell out of the steering mechanism that hold it to the frame of the tractor? The lost time there? I couldn't fix it. And didn't want to. I think it had less than 100 hours at that time. Turns out the mechanic couldn't fix it at my place either. They needed to drop the front axle so they could get the new bolts in. And then properly torque.

How about the extreme corrosion on the battery to the point it wouldn't start anymore. The lost time there? I had to fix that because I couldn't wait

How about that bogging down issue you down played to a little loss of power because it's an HST? The loss of power from that to the ground would be about 5-10% max. Leaving 45 hp. This loss of power not only effected driving, barely being able to limp the tractor back to the barn, but also the loss of power when trying to dig with the backhoe. So the lost time there? On several occasions.

The gear problem in the transmission is obviously a bad piece of material or a mistake made in assembly. I do not know. Mistakes happen.

But the quality control when this tractor was built was not good at all. Why is it, that when I spend this kind of money on their top of the line tractor in this size range, that I am going through all these problems?

I have a good bit of experience with tractors. I have bought several used tractors with over five to twenty times the amount of hours this new one has. And I did not have any of these kind of lost time problems.

I am not an inexperienced tractor operator. Been using them for about thirty years now. Have not seen one with this many problems in this little hours. Especially the brand new hours when the tractor should have none.

There have been other issues. I have just mentioned the ones I haven't forgotten in my frustrations. And I really don't want to remember them.

They have fixed my tractor multiple times at my barn here. They have fixed it even more times after hauling it back to their garage. Many of each of those were lost time on my projects.

That is not my fault.

Hey. How is your backhoe treating you? My 75B has had the least problems.

Last edited:
I have one attempt out there to Mahindra now. We will see how long it takes them to respond to me.

I am not here to bash all Mahindra tractors. I also am not here to bash my dealer. They have been good about getting things fixed. I have had multiple lost time problems with my tractor. This last time has turned into nine days without it.

I believe I ended up with a tractor where the quality control was very poor or almost non existent when it was built. What use to be called a "bad unit" or to some a "lemon".

/ Mahindra owners. Little help here please. #25  
I Pity this guy, Ernesto Lopez, Sr. Manager, Customer Support & Dealer Development as it was not his fault what happened your tractor, but his job is supposedly to help you. I hope he does his job.

/ Mahindra owners. Little help here please. #26  
Hmmmm.

Well.

You forgot a few of the other issues there JB.

How about the bolts that completely fell out of the steering mechanism that hold it to the frame of the tractor? The lost time there? I couldn't fix it. And didn't want to. I think it had less than 100 hours at that time. Turns out the mechanic couldn't fix it at my place either. They needed to drop the front axle so they could get the new bolts in. And then properly torque.

How about the extreme corrosion on the battery to the point it wouldn't start anymore. The lost time there? I had to fix that because I couldn't wait

How about that bogging down issue you down played to a little loss of power because it's an HST? The loss of power from that to the ground would be about 5-10% max. Leaving 45 hp. This loss of power not only effected driving, barely being able to limp the tractor back to the barn, but also the loss of power when trying to dig with the backhoe. So the lost time there? On several occasions.

The gear problem in the transmission is obviously a bad piece of material or a mistake made in assembly. I do not know. Mistakes happen.

But the quality control when this tractor was built was not good at all. Why is it, that when I spend this kind of money on their top of the line tractor in this size range, that I am going through all these problems?

I have a good bit of experience with tractors. I have bought several used tractors with over five to twenty times the amount of hours this new one has. And I did not have any of these kind of lost time problems.

I am not an inexperienced tractor operator. Been using them for about thirty years now. Have not seen one with this many problems in this little hours. Especially the brand new hours when the tractor should have none.

There have been other issues. I have just mentioned the ones I haven't forgotten in my frustrations. And I really don't want to remember them.

They have fixed my tractor multiple times at my barn here. They have fixed it even more times after hauling it back to their garage. Many of each of those were lost time on my projects.

That is not my fault.

Hey. How is your backhoe treating you? My 75B has had the least problems.

I understand your frustrations. Not picking sides here just trying to be helpful.

Hydrostatic transmission power loss is way more than 10%, but nevertheless that doesn't affect hydraulic (backhoe/loader) power at all. Any chance you have had any check engine lights on or flashing during low power? That is a bug that required a reflash....I would hope that they did that before delivery but maybe they missed it.

Down time for warranty repairs is not generally covered by the warranty. As much as that sucks for those of us that expect perfect performance from a new machine - which isn't unreasonable. Mahindra probably isn't required to legally do anything yet provided they are able to fix the issues. They may be willing to offer you something for your trouble - but it's doubtful they need to. For what it's worth, many dealers and/or manufactures would require you to bring the machine to a dealer for service. It's great that they are willing to come to your place to save you the effort or cost of transport. Sucks that they've had to come so many times.

My backhoe has treated me well so far, and no issues from turning the boom relief up. I intend to write a little tutorial at some point- I haven't forgotten.

They returned my tractor to me yesterday afternoon.

A pin in the transmission had broken. They replaced it and put everything back together. So they had to pull fenders and seat and go into transmission from the top. Nothing more.

They could not replicate the "bogging down" hydraulic power loss issue.

They fixed the problem with the lights.

They cleaned the large cylinder on the backhoe but could not find a leak.

Oh how I sometimes wish I had bought another solid, used Kubota, like I have in the past. Live and learn.

I must say again though, when this tractor is working correctly the production is very good. I really like the hydrostatic transmission with side by side pedals. And the large R1 Ag tires for traction and great ground clearance.

It is just very frustrating to experience this many lost time problems after one has spent this amount of money on a brand new tractor that is suppose to be their top of the line tractor.

I will see how long it takes and what Mahindra does in response to my complaint to them. I told them I will not bash my dealer. They have been good through all of this. I don't like complaining about Mahindra. And don't want to complain about all their tractors. Just appears I got a tractor with some quality control problems. A "lemon" or a "bad unit"? I don't know.

I do not want to take a big loss financially on this tractor. Can't afford it. So I believe I will be keeping it for now. It's not costing me any money, everything is covered under warranty. Just a lot of lost time and frustration when I have these problems that need to be fixed. But frustration equals stress and time is money. So I will have to adjust my "attitude" toward any future problems. Just call them up when I have one and have them come and get it, then move onto something else until I get it back. (That wouldn't fly if this was me doing work for a customer.)

I have asked for a copy, or record/receipt of every time they have worked my tractor. The mechanic told me no problem. They will pull everything from the Mahindra database for warranty work and send them to me. I will make sure I keep track of any future work done as well.

Let's hope I have better luck moving forward.

/ Mahindra owners. Little help here please. #28  
They returned my tractor to me yesterday afternoon.

A pin in the transmission had broken. They replaced it and put everything back together. So they had to pull fenders and seat and go into transmission from the top. Nothing more.

They could not replicate the "bogging down" hydraulic power loss issue.

They fixed the problem with the lights.

They cleaned the large cylinder on the backhoe but could not find a leak.

Oh how I sometimes wish I had bought another solid, used Kubota, like I have in the past. Live and learn.

I must say again though, when this tractor is working correctly the production is very good. I really like the hydrostatic transmission with side by side pedals. And the large R1 Ag tires for traction and great ground clearance.

It is just very frustrating to experience this many lost time problems after one has spent this amount of money on a brand new tractor that is suppose to be their top of the line tractor.

I will see how long it takes and what Mahindra does in response to my complaint to them. I told them I will not bash my dealer. They have been good through all of this. I don't like complaining about Mahindra. And don't want to complain about all their tractors. Just appears I got a tractor with some quality control problems. A "lemon" or a "bad unit"? I don't know.

I do not want to take a big loss financially on this tractor. Can't afford it. So I believe I will be keeping it for now. It's not costing me any money, everything is covered under warranty. Just a lot of lost time and frustration when I have these problems that need to be fixed. But frustration equals stress and time is money. So I will have to adjust my "attitude" toward any future problems. Just call them up when I have one and have them come and get it, then move onto something else until I get it back. (That wouldn't fly if this was me doing work for a customer.)

I have asked for a copy, or record/receipt of every time they have worked my tractor. The mechanic told me no problem. They will pull everything from the Mahindra database for warranty work and send them to me. I will make sure I keep track of any future work done as well.

Let's hope I have better luck moving forward.

I'd say you've had more than your fair share of teething issues so I hope it goes better for you down the road. Be thankful that you have a good dealer which is why I always tell folks in it for the first time around to spend more time shopping for a good dealer than the tractor itself. Without your dealer taking care of you, you'd have been up that proverbial creek, as they say.

I remembered I have to wait to run the tractor until Mechanic fixes the steering problem with it. Unreal.

It needs a new hydraulic piston! I've contacted Mahindra and they say there is nothing they can do. The dealer is the only one who can do anything. Dealer says he will continue to fix my tractor. I asked Mahindra to please replace my tractor then. This tractor is obviously not capable of doing what Mahindra said it's capable of doing. If you go to current website and look up 3550 it says,

"These premium performers offer super-powered 4WD and the gusto to go after medium to heavy-duty agriculture, industrial or other applications."

So I spoke with a Mahindra person out of Texas who responded to my complaint complaint on their web portal. She said Mahindra does not do any buying or selling. There is nothing they can do. Only one who can do anything is dealer. I told her dealer won't buy back or exchange my tractor for one that can handle the work.

Then I placed a call to her boss today. She called me back. I asked to speak to him. Please hold. Oh he is still out to lunch sir.

So then I asked her to tell him everything I have told her and ask him to call me. And to get a message to local service representative about my problems.