Mailbox studded T post ideas needed

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #21  
In Kalamazoo County only artificial trees less than 2" DBH are allowed along the side of the road...to protect motorists.

See disclaimer below.

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #23  
A lot of people by me will put up a pallet or plywood a few feet away from the mailbox. They usually hold them up with a couple t posts. The idea is the snow hits the plywood and not the mailbox.

This is what they do around here too. Plows aren't hitting the mailboxes, but the wet snow snaps them off as it rolls off the plow. Many people add a few t-posts a few feet from the mailbox, with plywood, a pallet, a wood fence, etc attached so that absorbs and deflects the snow to protect the mailbox. ODOT drivers are trained to roll it without snapping mailboxes, but once in awhile the snow is just right and they end up with a couple miles of ruined mailboxes and posts. ODOT provides replacements in those cases.

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #24  
My county started providing swing away mail box supports a few years ago. Mine is rusted and doesn't swing anymore. I use the large mail box and the side was always getting dented when the plow was throwing slush. Last fall I put a piece of 3/4" plywood inside the box on the oncoming side and screwed it on. It's worked so far.

Here's the plan for the supports the county provides. Maybe add a grease zerk:)

https://www.co.todd.mn.us/sites/default/files/public_works/mailboxsupport.pdf

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #25  
At my place i have a swivel mailbox, was there when i moved it. Basically a 4 inch pipe that swivels 2 feet off the ground about 2-3 feet horizontal pipe with the mailbox. I dont think it ever had a direct hit by a plow, but with heavy snow it swivels 180 degrees. Just need to turn it back the next day. It is also usefull when clearing my yard, i just turn it around to clear the snow or mow the lawn. Been holding 18+ years.

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed
I will have to take a picture of mine. I have a 1 inch OD piece of pipe with another pipe that fits loosely over it. The outside pipe has the end cut at an angle and I have a bolt welded to the inside pipe so that the bolt is at the high point of the angle cut into the end when the mailbox is facing the road. That way if it gets hit, the mailbox will spin around and end up facing the correct direction.

Aaron Z
A pic or two would be great. Heavy walled conduit?

My soil if very sandy; thus I was leaning towards two posts spaced apart to provide a base. My concern with a single pipe design with the mailbox at a far end is keeping it from slumping/sagging/leaning. Guess the answer would be go deep or do something to spread the load in the soil.

Some good ideas, thanks.

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #27  
I live in Wisconsin also and our township has very specific mailbox ordinances.

15. MAILBOX AND NEWSPAPER BOX PLACEMENT
Placement of mailboxes or newspaper boxes within the town road right-of-way shall meet the following standards:
Mailboxes and newspaper boxes shall be placed so the front of the box is aligned with the outside edge of the gravel shoulder.
The post shall be placed a minimum of 24 inches from the front of the mailbox. The box may be on a swing arm.
The bottom of the mailbox shall be between 42 and 48 inches above ground level. The recommended minimum height is 46 inches to allow snowplows to remove the snow.
No landscaping is allowed around base of mailbox post
All mailboxes and newspaper boxes shall be placed on the same post to avoid unnecessary posts where possible.
Mailboxes serving neighboring houses shall be grouped together where possible.
Mailbox posts should be constructed to break away at impact. Acceptable standards include:
Pipes two inches inside diameter or less.
Square wood supports four by four inches or less; round wood posts 4 ス inches or less in diameter.
Metal channel posts not more than two pounds per foot in weight.
Imbed supports no more than 24 inches into the ground and do not imbed in concrete.
Do not use anchor plates with metal posts. Anti-twist flanges are acceptable as long as they do not project more than 10 inches into the ground. These should be attached to the metal post or pipe with 2 3/8 inch muffler clamps.

Most of those are just following the USPS guidelines.

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #28  
This is what they do around here too. Plows aren't hitting the mailboxes, but the wet snow snaps them off as it rolls off the plow. Many people add a few t-posts a few feet from the mailbox, with plywood, a pallet, a wood fence, etc attached so that absorbs and deflects the snow to protect the mailbox. ODOT drivers are trained to roll it without snapping mailboxes, but once in awhile the snow is just right and they end up with a couple miles of ruined mailboxes and posts. ODOT provides replacements in those cases.

One thing that we do is clear back the bank for 10-15 feet before the mailbox so that the plow has a place to unload the snow off of the wing before it hits the mailbox.

A pic or two would be great. Heavy walled conduit?

My soil if very sandy; thus I was leaning towards two posts spaced apart to provide a base. My concern with a single pipe design with the mailbox at a far end is keeping it from slumping/sagging/leaning. Guess the answer would be go deep or do something to spread the load in the soil.

Some good ideas, thanks.

Mine has the post at the back of the mailbox, so it doesn't have very far to hang out.
The pipe in the ground is (I think) DOM tubing? I'll have to get a picture of it.

Aaron Z

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #29  
Here is mine. It is 4" square tube set 50" in the ground. there is a bag of quickcrete in the bottom and another bag on top then a 5 gallon pain was place around the bottom of the post and 4 inches of wet quickcrete added inside the pail. It sets one full lane off the road. Yes it has a list a FED UP truck driver backed into it, Jack *** even managed to back into our honey house I have a huge rock setting there now.
010914_1246_zpsa4cdbf29.jpg

010914_1243_zpscec0a230.jpg

Also since I don't mind snow plowing I push the snow back so the county plow can't leave a pile the mail carrier has to get thru. I also spread my wood ashes for the mail carrier to stop and start on spareing the truck from my box.

We had some thing simular made for my sister post set back off the road in some trees (very rual area) a spring loaded arm stuck out that pivots and is spring loaded from a spring off a scrap farm machine. Her box like mine is 3/16 plate steel so the vandals who live a mile down the raod at the lake can't smash it.

Cops told me they couldn't do any thing about it. I told them to watch a big Oak tree with a limb hanging over the road I would hang the SOB's there once I caught them.
Funny the cops decided they could set behind my pines and catch them after 6 it quit.

:D Al

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #30  
Hey Tom, I think we got it. Thanks for the link to your video.