Mailbox studded T post ideas needed

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #31  
If I'm not mistaken, US Postal service regulations require that the posts be able to break away. I think I remember reading that nothing stronger than a typical 4x4 is allowed. It's been a couple years since I reviewed this, so I can't guarantee I'm remembering it correctly.

If it’s Federal, they ignore the rules down south where we only see snow plows on TV. In the city it’s common to see mail boxes that are much more solid that a typical 4x4 wood post.

A0EF5054-61DF-4400-9CCF-F824323B9ABB.jpeg

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #32  
When we bought our first house I made a T-shaped mailbox post from 4" SCH40 PVC. It lasted for years till a snowplow raced through after a very wet, slushy snowfall.

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #33  
We originally had a DOT-grade sign post welded into a heavy-duty truck rim, which we filled level with steel-reinforced concrete.

Unfortunately, our propane driver [an apparent new-hire] backed over it, and absconded with it to hide the evidence.

We replaced it with a 55-gal poly barrel, filled 1/3 with a gravel-water mixture, with an 8' long, 6" diameter cedar log mounted and braced across the top, with a heavy metal mailbox on the road end and a truck brake disk as ballast on the other end.

The only thing we really need to do for maintenance is make to sure that it swivels freely on the ground and then when the snow from the town plow hits it, it just swings away freely, and we can rotate it back.

Before we realized the need to keep it broken free, it did get knocked over a couple of times, bit the loader picks it up easily, and it's nearly indestructible.

We got the heavy steel mailbox because with a 1000' driveway, the local HS kids destroyed a couple of plastic ones over the 10+ years before the steel one- because after a few years of UV exposure, the plastic became brittle.

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #34  
Watching this for ideas. We just bought a low end box and post (steel) from HD for now. Property has never had one in the past.

Even down here where snow plows are a mythical creature, you cannot (legally) protect your mailbox in many areas.

Ours will just have a post set in a 2ft deep hole filled with concrete.

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #35  
I have seen them with the post 8 to 10 feet from the road and
a long arm with the mailbox on the end so if it gets hit it swings
away so you can't break anything.

willy

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #36  
I live on a state highway and do not have a choice in posts. We buy the mailbox, deliver it to the county road department and they provide the post, reflectors, setback and installation. In the last 10 years we've not had any problems with the mailbox getting hit. (No snowplows either)

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #37  
Most of my neighbors have pipe or brackets guarding the mailbox from damage, but it's mounted on a 45 degree hinge so when it's hit

it just swings out of the way and then swings back ether from snow or the plow.

I live at the end of a road so I don't have this problem.

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #38  
If it’s Federal, they ignore the rules down south where we only see snow plows on TV. In the city it’s common to see mail boxes that are much more solid that a typical 4x4 wood post.

View attachment 810931
As I recall the only Postal rule about mounting a mail box is the height above road surface. There is something about how far the front of the box can be from the edge of the road or turn out too, but I can't remember how it was worded. Your Postmaster is your BEST reference, next best is your rural letter carrier.

/ Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #39  
   / Mailbox studded T post ideas needed #40  
This should clear things up. Hopefully.